Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirecting terminal to variable Post 303016883 by SkySmart on Saturday 5th of May 2018 11:19:59 AM
Old 05-05-2018
Redirecting terminal to variable

when i do something like this:

Code:
bona=$(echo hi2 > /dev/pts/1 ; printf '%s\n' "" | sed '/^$/d')

i get:

Code:
hi2

and the $bona variable is empty, when I run:

Code:
echo ${bona}

i get the result "hi2" outside of the variable. I want it stored in the bona variable with nothing outputted to the screen until i echo out the bona variable. but the problem is that the bona variable is always empty.

how can i keep the hi2 in the bona variable so when i echo it out, it shows hi2?

i have tried the following, but to no avail:

Code:
bona=$(echo hi2 > /dev/pts/1 >&1; printf '%s\n' "" | sed '/^$/d')

fyi, /dev/pts/1 is my active terminal that im working out of. it needs to be specified.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirecting one terminal into an other??

Hi guys; I want to show what am I doing on a terminal into another. I did something close but its not working really good. Example: cat /dev/pts/12 >/dev/pts/13 where 12 is my terminal and 13 its the other terminal. This is usefull for me to share my small unix knowledge to other people... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting variable content to a file!

Hello! I'm having problems trying to extract the contents of a variable and placing it into a text file. Grateful for any help. Been trying something along the lines of: $variable > file.txt or `cat < $variable` > file.txt As you can see I'm a newbie to this :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lloowen
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem redirecting output of command to variable

Hi. I'm a newbie in scripting and i have this problem: i want to use the 'fuser' command on a file to tell if it's being accessed (for my purposes: still being written). I want to save the output of the command and later compare with the 'not being used' result. the script: #!/bin/bash... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nunovc
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting values from one variable to another in a loop.

The situation is like this: I am reading records from a file, depending upon some condition extracting fields from the file into different variables in a loop one by one. I need to print all the variable in line, so I am trying to redirect hose variables one by one to a variable called final_value... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mady135
1 Replies

5. Programming

Redirecting Terminal to Local Application!

i wanted to execute some terminal commands on local linux, parse their output and display it to the user, i checked netcat source code but i couldnt understance it since im new to c (and linux at the same time). so i was wondering if there is away to run an instance of terminal hidden, read and... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: JonhyM
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdout to variable while printing it

Hi everybody, I am trying to do the thing you see in the title, and I can't simply do a=$(svn up) echo $a because the program (svn) gives output on lots of lines and in the variable the output is stored on only one line (resulting in a horribly formatted text). Any tips? Thanks,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocirne94
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting the terminal to file

Hi, I want to save the whole Output of the terminal in a file. I dont want to redirect a single command to a file (ls -l > test.txt), I want to redirect the whole last 40 lines into a file. Maybe i can read out the terminal while working with it, but i cant find a way to save the whole... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niratschi
2 Replies

8. Slackware

X terminal: Redirecting remote sound to my local audio device

Hello everybody, I'm testing some aspects of X Terminal implementation and it's going great. I can use remote applications on my local slow workstation at remote's processor speed by redirecting the remote DISPLAY variable to "my_local_ip:0.0"; but i'm having troubles to get remote audio and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: semash!
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting script output to terminal

When ever i started my terminal,Every time I have to change the directory like "cd user/documents/ravi/folder2/folder3" Without typing this entire command every time ,I placed "alias c='cd user/documents/ravi/folder2/folder3'" in .bash_profile file. so that i can able to execute command 'c'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raviteja saddal
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect Redirecting o/p to an Variable

I have a password reset expect script which stores all the op to an file. I need to check the whether password is successfully changed by greping out the file and storing the o/p to a variable. But we try to print the variable , its shows only the command instead of its o/p. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudharson
2 Replies
IRSEND(1)							   User Commands							 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.9.0-pre1 October 2010 IRSEND(1)