Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rename multiple files in one go Post 303016754 by kraljic on Thursday 3rd of May 2018 06:40:28 AM
Old 05-03-2018
Rename multiple files in one go

shell : bash

As shown below, I have multiple files like below (query1-extract_aa, query1-extract_ab, query1-extract_ac, ....)

Code:
$ ls -l
total 235680
-rw-rw-r-- 1 reportusr reportusr  30M May  3 11:25 query1-extract_aa
-rw-rw-r-- 1 reportusr reportusr  30M May  3 11:25 query1-extract_ab
-rw-rw-r-- 1 reportusr reportusr  30M May  3 11:25 query1-extract_ac
-rw-rw-r-- 1 reportusr reportusr  30M May  3 11:25 query1-extract_ad
-rw-rw-r-- 1 reportusr reportusr  30M May  3 11:25 query1-extract_ae
-rw-rw-r-- 1 reportusr reportusr  30M May  3 11:25 query1-extract_af
-rw-rw-r-- 1 reportusr reportusr  30M May  3 11:25 query1-extract_ag
-rw-rw-r-- 1 reportusr reportusr  22M May  3 11:25 query1-extract_ah

I want to append .txt to the end of these filenames , so that
Code:
query1-extract_aa will be renamed to query1-extract_aa.txt
query1-extract_ab will be renamed to query1-extract_ab.txt
query1-extract_ac will be renamed to query1-extract_ac.txt
etc...

How can I do this in bash in one go ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename multiple files

Hello, I want to rename multiple files at a time and I don't know how to do it. I have various ".mp3" files, like "band name - music name.mp3" and I want to remove the "band name" from all files. Anybody knows how to do it using shell script or sed or even perl? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: luiz_fer10
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename multiple files

Hi, can anyone have a ksh script to rename multiple files (ie to remove .Z extension of the files) can someone correct this? for i in *.Z do var1 = substr($i, 1,at(".Z",$i)-1) mv $i $var1 done Thanks.. Antony (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: antointoronto
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

now to rename multiple files

I have several hundred files in one directory which I need to move to another directory with the new extension, for example: /bb/data/rptmgr* are in the source directory need to be moved to /bb/data55/rptmgr*.new Is there an efficient way to do it? Thanks -A (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to rename multiple files

Hi all, I have some files like: pickup.0000043200.t001.t001.data pickup.0000043200.t001.t002.data pickup.0000043200.t002.t001.data pickup.0000043200.t002.t002.data pickup.0000043200.t003.t001.data pickup.0000043200.t003.t002.data I need to rename these files to ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_dor8
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with multiple files rename...

Hi everyone, I'm very green in Linux. Please help me to solve my problem. I have thousands of files and I want to change their names. They have naming convection: prefix_date_date+1_suffix.nc prefix: ext-GLORY date_date+1: 20020101_20020102 and two types of suffix: gridV_R20020130 and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: makikicindy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename multiple files

hello: I have multiple files with names like: somestring_y2010m01d01 somestring_y2010m01d02 .......... somestring_y2010m12d31 How... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sylcam
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename multiple files

Hi, In my directory I have many files, for e.g. file_123 file_124 file_125 file_126 file_127 Instead of renaming these files one by one, I would like to rename them at a same time using same command... they should appear like 123 124 125 126 127 What command(awk or ls or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: juzz4fun
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to rename multiple files at one go?

Hi, I have hundreds of files with XXX in their file name and I want to rename all of them with YYY in place of XXX. for ex: $ ls -1 123XXX789 345XXX678 Output $ ls -1 123YYY789 345YYY678 I know we can loop in each file and sed to replace and rename each file but ren *XXX* *YYY*... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddyr
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename a multiple files

I have multiple files in folder which i want to rename. hence I am using the below command in my script by I get an error: export XXX_LOG_DIR="${LOG_DIR}/${XXX_HOST}/xxx/${REPORT_DATE}" mv $XXX_LOG_DIR/*.audit.gz $XXX_LOG_DIR/*.audit.log.gz But I get the below error: mv: target... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: karan8810
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SBATCH trinity for multiple files and rename/move the output files

Hey guys, I have wrote the following script to apply a module named "trinity" on my files. (it takes two input files and spit a trinity.fasta as output) #!/bin/bash -l #SBATCH -p node #SBATCH -A <projectID> #SBATCH -n 16 #SBATCH -t 7-00:00:00 #SBATCH --mem=128GB #SBATCH --mail-type=ALL... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: @man
1 Replies
Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneNCBIBlast(3pm)		User Contributed Perl Documentation		 Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneNCBIBlast(3pm)

NAME
Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneNCBIBlast - Object for the local execution of the NCBI BLAST program suite (blastall, blastpgp, bl2seq). With experimental support for NCBI rpsblast. SYNOPSIS
# Do not use directly; see Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast DESCRIPTION
See Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast FEEDBACK
Mailing Lists User feedback is an integral part of the evolution of this and other Bioperl modules. Send your comments and suggestions preferably to one of the Bioperl mailing lists. Your participation is much appreciated. bioperl-l@bioperl.org - General discussion http://bioperl.org/wiki/Mailing_lists - About the mailing lists Support Please direct usage questions or support issues to the mailing list: bioperl-l@bioperl.org rather than to the module maintainer directly. Many experienced and reponsive experts will be able look at the problem and quickly address it. Please include a thorough description of the problem with code and data examples if at all possible. Reporting Bugs Report bugs to the Bioperl bug tracking system to help us keep track the bugs and their resolution. Bug reports can be submitted via the web: https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/bioperl/ AUTHOR - Peter Schattner Email schattner at alum.mit.edu MAINTAINER - Torsten Seemann Email torsten at infotech.monash.edu.au CONTRIBUTORS
Sendu Bala bix@sendu.me.uk (reimplementation) APPENDIX
The rest of the documentation details each of the object methods. Internal methods are usually preceded with a _ new Title : new Usage : my $obj = Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast->new(); Function: Builds a newBio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast object Returns : Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast Args : -quiet => boolean # make program execution quiet -_READMETHOD => 'BLAST' (default, synonym 'SearchIO') || 'blast_pull' # the parsing method, case insensitive Essentially all BLAST parameters can be set via StandAloneBlast.pm. Some of the most commonly used parameters are listed below. All parameters have defaults and are optional except for -p in those programs that have it. For a complete listing of settable parameters, run the relevant executable BLAST program with the option "-" as in blastall - Note that the input parameters (-i, -j, -input) should not be set directly by you: this module sets them when you call one of the executable methods. Blastall -p Program Name [String] Input should be one of "blastp", "blastn", "blastx", "tblastn", or "tblastx". -d Database [String] default = nr The database specified must first be formatted with formatdb. Multiple database names (bracketed by quotations) will be accepted. An example would be -d "nr est" -e Expectation value (E) [Real] default = 10.0 -o BLAST report Output File [File Out] Optional, default = ./blastreport.out ; set by StandAloneBlast.pm -S Query strands to search against database (for blast[nx], and tblastx). 3 is both, 1 is top, 2 is bottom [Integer] default = 3 Blastpgp (including Psiblast) -j is the maximum number of rounds (default 1; i.e., regular BLAST) -h is the e-value threshold for including sequences in the score matrix model (default 0.001) -c is the "constant" used in the pseudocount formula specified in the paper (default 10) -B Multiple alignment file for PSI-BLAST "jump start mode" Optional -Q Output File for PSI-BLAST Matrix in ASCII [File Out] Optional rpsblast -d Database [String] default = (none - you must specify a database) The database specified must first be formatted with formatdb. Multiple database names (bracketed by quotations) will be accepted. An example would be -d "Cog Smart" -e Expectation value (E) [Real] default = 10.0 -o BLAST report Output File [File Out] Optional, default = ./blastreport.out ; set by StandAloneBlast.pm Bl2seq -p Program name: blastp, blastn, blastx. For blastx 1st argument should be nucleotide [String] default = blastp -o alignment output file [File Out] default = stdout -e Expectation value (E) [Real] default = 10.0 -S Query strands to search against database (blastn only). 3 is both, 1 is top, 2 is bottom [Integer] default = 3 blastall Title : blastall Usage : $blast_report = $factory->blastall('t/testquery.fa'); or $input = Bio::Seq->new(-id=>"test query", -seq=>"ACTACCCTTTAAATCAGTGGGGG"); $blast_report = $factory->blastall($input); or $seq_array_ref = @seq_array; # where @seq_array is an array of Bio::Seq objects $blast_report = $factory->blastall($seq_array_ref); Returns : Reference to a Blast object containing the blast report. Args : Name of a file or Bio::Seq object or an array of Bio::Seq object containing the query sequence(s). Throws an exception if argument is not either a string (eg a filename) or a reference to a Bio::Seq object (or to an array of Seq objects). If argument is string, throws exception if file corresponding to string name can not be found. blastpgp Title : blastpgp Usage : $blast_report = $factory-> blastpgp('t/testquery.fa'); or $input = Bio::Seq->new(-id=>"test query", -seq=>"ACTADDEEQQPPTCADEEQQQVVGG"); $blast_report = $factory->blastpgp ($input); or $seq_array_ref = @seq_array; # where @seq_array is an array of Bio::Seq objects $blast_report = $factory-> blastpgp(@seq_array); Returns : Reference to a Bio::SearchIO object containing the blast report Args : Name of a file or Bio::Seq object. In psiblast jumpstart mode two additional arguments are required: a SimpleAlign object one of whose elements is the query and a "mask" to determine how BLAST should select scoring matrices see DESCRIPTION above for more details. Throws an exception if argument is not either a string (eg a filename) or a reference to a Bio::Seq object (or to an array of Seq objects). If argument is string, throws exception if file corresponding to string name can not be found. Returns : Reference to Bio::SearchIO object containing the blast report. rpsblast Title : rpsblast Usage : $blast_report = $factory->rpsblast('t/testquery.fa'); or $input = Bio::Seq->new(-id=>"test query", -seq=>"MVVLCRADDEEQQPPTCADEEQQQVVGG"); $blast_report = $factory->rpsblast($input); or $seq_array_ref = @seq_array; # where @seq_array is an array of Bio::Seq objects $blast_report = $factory->rpsblast(@seq_array); Args : Name of a file or Bio::Seq object or an array of Bio::Seq object containing the query sequence(s). Throws an exception if argument is not either a string (eg a filename) or a reference to a Bio::Seq object (or to an array of Seq objects). If argument is string, throws exception if file corresponding to string name can not be found. Returns : Reference to a Bio::SearchIO object containing the blast report bl2seq Title : bl2seq Usage : $factory-> bl2seq('t/seq1.fa', 't/seq2.fa'); or $input1 = Bio::Seq->new(-id=>"test query1", -seq=>"ACTADDEEQQPPTCADEEQQQVVGG"); $input2 = Bio::Seq->new(-id=>"test query2", -seq=>"ACTADDEMMMMMMMDEEQQQVVGG"); $blast_report = $factory->bl2seq ($input1, $input2); Returns : Reference to a BPbl2seq object containing the blast report. Args : Names of 2 files or 2 Bio::Seq objects containing the sequences to be aligned by bl2seq. Throws an exception if argument is not either a pair of strings (eg filenames) or references to Bio::Seq objects. If arguments are strings, throws exception if files corresponding to string names can not be found. _generic_local_blast Title : _generic_local_blast Usage : internal function not called directly Returns : Bio::SearchIO Args : Reference to calling object and name of BLAST executable _runblast Title : _runblast Usage : Internal function, not to be called directly Function: makes actual system call to Blast program Example : Returns : Report Bio::SearchIO object in the appropriate format Args : Reference to calling object, name of BLAST executable, and parameter string for executable _setparams Title : _setparams Usage : Internal function, not to be called directly Function: Create parameter inputs for Blast program Example : Returns : parameter string to be passed to Blast Args : Reference to calling object and name of BLAST executable perl v5.14.2 2012-03-02 Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneNCBIBlast(3pm)