Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED message displayed following disk replacement Post 303016330 by hicksd8 on Tuesday 24th of April 2018 03:17:51 PM
Old 04-24-2018
Duplicate thread. Thread closed. Continue here:

DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED message following disk replacement

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie: Sun Ultra 5 Disk Replacement

I have just started getting into unix and aquired a Sun Ultra 5 however the disk failed and I want to replace it with a spare maxtor 40Gb i have lying around. I need to partition and format the disk from its old windows format. I have looked up info on the format command in solaris 9 and I think i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalm
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Disk replacement with svm

I dont even know what raid level this is, but its raid 5 mirrored from the looks of it. I have a failed disk (t12) within this mirror. What is the best way to replace this disk? 2 things concern me, isn't there a command to prepare the disk for a hot swap? and what should i do with the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

Hard disk replacement

Hi all, I need some help with a RHEL 4 on a Sun Fire v65x machine. Some of the disks is damaged or has a hardware issue. This disk is connected to a hardware raid. The problem is that I don't know what is the brand, model and capacity of the disk. I've read the raid manual, but says... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelgadom
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Disk Replacement SVM

Hello, Can someone advise the proper procedure for replacing a mirrored disk in SVM. I have checked the docs and various websites but the procedure seems to vary. This is what I would do... 1. Remove the db replicas from the bad disk. 2. Detach it from the mirror 3. Clear it with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Actuator
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

need your help for HP virtual array 7400 disk replacement error

hi all! I found a the state of disk at JA0/D13 was failed this morning. then i replaced it this afternoon,but i run #dsp -s the array status displayed ==================================== STATUS Subsystem State: 1 The Subsystem is TESTING. The array is REBUILDING and is 87%... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoyOnLine
0 Replies

6. AIX

errpt kept sending errors after disk replacement

Hi, The system is a Power6 8204 with an external storage 7031. OS is AIX 5.3. I replaced a failed disk hdisk28 and put it back to the volume group. Everything looks just fine. After the replacement, errpt has kept sending "Perm DISK OPERATION ERROR". Other than the error, everything still... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

7. Solaris

encapsulated root disk replacement

Hello, I have a Sparc system with encapsulated disks. Because of disk errors I had to replace rootdisk, I did it with vxdiskadm 4) replacement, vxdctl disable/enable, vxdiskadm 5) After it it the system boot failed, dropped back to the ok> prompt, message was: The file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggi
0 Replies

8. HP-UX

FAULTY DISK replacement HP rx4640

Hello, I'm new to this forum and as you will see from my question I'm new to UNIX as well. One of our costumers has HP rx4640 running on UNIX with two 300GB hot-swappable disks that are mirrored. They reported to us that one of the disks is faulty and they want us to take care of it. Below is... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjk
16 Replies

9. AIX

Disk replacement on SharedVG.

Hi, One of my disk is in 'disk missing state'. It is a sharedVG and cluster nodes. The errpt keeps reporting stale partition error. lvs are in open/stale state. In this sceanario is replacing the disk the best practice? When i do a lsdev the disk is labelled as below. hdisk3 Available ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElizabethPJ
2 Replies

10. AIX

DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED message following disk replacement

Hello, On 4/20/2018, we performed a disk replacement on our IBM 8202 P7 server. After the disk was rebuilt, the SAS Disk Array sissas0 showed a status of degraded. However, the pdisks in the array all show a status of active. We did see a message in errpt. DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: terrya
3 Replies
sautil(1M)																sautil(1M)

NAME
sautil - support utility for the HP SmartArray RAID controller family SYNOPSIS
device_file [-N] device_file [-s] device_file fw_image device_file fw_image physical_drive_id device_file fw_image encl_physical_drive_id device_file device_file device_file device_file logical_drive_number device_file rate device_file device_file device_file device_file [-raw] device_file device_file physical_drive_id [-raw] device_file device_file device_file DESCRIPTION
The command is a support tool for the HP SmartArray RAID Controller Family. This command allows the system administrator to perform tasks such as: 1) Retrieving RAID configuration and status information for the controller, logical drive, physical disk, cache, etc.; 2) Retrieving RAID driver information (driver state, trace log, statistics, etc.); 3) Downloading new revisions of controller or disk firmware; 4) Sending instructions to the firmware (reset controller, scan SCSI bus, etc.); and 5) Recreating the controller device file(s). Prerequisites Some of the options are intended for use by HP support personnel and require detailed knowledge of the RAID SA driver or firmware to inter- pret the output. Security Restrictions requires either the superuser privilege or and privileges. See privileges(5) for more information about privileged access on systems that support fine-grained privileges. Options recognizes the following options and parameters as indicated in the section above. Keyword options are order-dependent, but are not case- sensitive. device_file Most options require a device file parameter, e.g., The device file for a specific RAID SA controller can be determined from the output. When the device file parameter is specified without any options, will display information such as the RAID SA driver state, controller hardware path, firmware revision, capacity expansion and rebuild priority settings, cache status and settings, logical drive configuration and physical drive properties. When the optional argument is specified, persistent device files (see intro(7)) are displayed for logical drives. When the optional argument is specified, a subset of the information is displayed. This option downloads the specified firmware image file (fw_image) to the controller. The image file name is case-sensitive. The firmware download process usually completes within one minute, but could theoretically take up to eight minutes. All I/O to the controller are temporarily halted dur- ing this time. This option downloads the specified firmware image file (fw_image) to physical disk specified by the (physical_drive_id). The image file name is case-sensitive. physical_drive_id To specify the SCSI physical disk. It can be represented as such as: 4:12. Valid channel numbers are between 1 and 4. Valid target numbers are between 0 and 15. To specify the SAS/SATA physical disk. It can be represented as either such as: 2I:1:10 or (wwid), such as: 0x500000e010f16432. This option downloads the specified firmware image file (fw_image) to the storage enclosure processor. This option is supported on SAS Smart Array HBAs only. The image file name is case-sensitive. The firmware download process takes ten to fifteen minutes. All I/O to the controller are temporarily halted during this time. encl_physical_drive_id To specify the storage enclosure processor. It can be represented as either such as: 1E:1:0 or (wwid), such as: 0x500000e010f16432. This option resets the controller. Some situations that may require a controller reset are: 1) OLR was performed and the logical drives on the replacement controller are not detected; 2) a disk enclosure with an existing RAID configuration was hot-added and the logical drives on that enclosure are not detected. This option tells the controller to rescan all SCSI buses. A situation that may require a scan is when a physical disk is hot-inserted into the system's internal drive bay. This option tells the controller to start rebuilding any logical drives that are in state. All logical drives in this state will eventually transition to Heavy I/O to the controller may delay this transition. There is no adverse impact if this option is invoked when no logical drives are in state. This option grants permission to the controller to set the state of the specified failed logical drive (logical_drive_number) to "OK" and to set the states of all failed physical disks that have been replaced via hot-plug exchanges to "OK". WARNING: While this option preserves the RAID configuration (logical drive configurations, controller settings, etc.), data on the failed logical drive may have already been compromised. If more disks have failed than the RAID level can accommo- date, you will need to restore your data from backup media. This option tells the controller to set the SCSI transfer rate to a lower speed than it would normally allow. Valid arguments for the rate field are (and ultra-160 for controllers that support Ultra-320). This option displays statistics counters maintained by the RAID SA "ciss" driver. This option clears the statistics counters maintained by the RAID SA "ciss" driver. This option displays the trace buffer of the RAID SA "ciss" driver. This option displays the firmware error log of the RAID SA controller. When the optional argument is specified, the raw data (in bytes) are displayed. This option clears the firmware error log of the RAID160 SA controller. It is not available for SmartArray 640x controllers. This option displays the error log for the physical disk specified by the (physical_drive_id). When the optional argument is specified, the raw data (in bytes) are displayed. This option displays the RAID SA controller's PCI configuration header. This option allows interactive reading of the RAID SA controller's registers. WARNING: Reading an invalid register may cause a system crash. This option is only available for SAS/SATA. Vital Product Data contains Product Description, Part Number, Engineering Date Code, Serial Number, Miscellaneous Informa- tion, Manufacturing Date Code, EFI Version, Asset Tag, HBA Firmware Version, and WWN. This option runs the RAID SA startup script to recreate the device files (/dev/cissX). Logical Drive State Definitions All physical disks in the logical drive are operational. Some possible causes: 1) Multiple physical disks in a fault-tolerant (RAID 1, 1+0, 5, ADG) logical drive have failed. 2) One or more disks in a RAID 0 logical drive have failed. 3) Cache data loss has occurred. 4) Array expansion was aborted. 5) The logical drive is temporarily disabled because another logical drive on the controller had a missing disk at power-up. Also known as "degraded" state. A physical disk in a fault tolerant logical drive has failed. For RAID 1, 1+0 or 5, data loss may result if a second disk should fail. For RAID ADG, data loss may result if two additional disks should fail. A replacement disk is present, but rebuild hasn't started yet (another logical drive may be currently rebuilding). The logical drive will also return to this state if the rebuild had been aborted due to unrecoverable read errors from another disk. One or more physical disks in this logical drive are being rebuilt. While the logical drive was in a degraded state, the system was powered off and a disk other than the failed disk was replaced. Shut off the system and replace the correct (failed) disk. While the system was off, one or more disks were removed. Note: the other logical drives are held in a temporary "failed" state when this occurs. The data in the logical drive is being reorganized because: 1) Physical disks have been added to the array (capacity expansion). 2) The stripe size is being changed (stripe-size migration). 3) The RAID level is being changed (RAID-level migration). A capacity expansion operation is in progress (or is queued up) that will make room on the disks for this new logical drive. Until room has been made on the physical disks, this newly configured logical drive cannot be read or written. The logical drive is waiting to undergo data reorganization (see above). Possible causes for the delay are a rebuild or expansion operation may already be in progress. Physical Disk State Definitions The physical disk is configured in one or more logical drives and is operational. The physical disk is configured as a spare disk. The physical disk has not been configured in any logical drives. The configured physical disk has failed. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: Successful completion. Command line syntax error. Incompatible CISS driver API. Failure opening a file. Other error. EXAMPLES
Display RAID subsystem information for the controller Update the firmware on the controller using the firmware image file Update the firmware on the physical disk (SCSI ID "13") connected to channel "2" of controller using the firmware image file located in the current directory: Recreate the device files for all RAID SA controllers in the system: AUTHOR
was developed by HP. FILES
Executable file. Device files. SEE ALSO
saconfig(1M), privileges(5), intro(7). sautil(1M)