Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Difference between UNIX and Windows Disk storage Post 303016261 by MadeInGermany on Monday 23rd of April 2018 02:12:18 PM
Old 04-23-2018
SCSI, when it was started, was seen as complex. But the complexity did not rise much, and today SAS (serial SCSI) is quite similar to SATA (serial ATA), only the command set is still richer, requiring some more logic in the embedded disk controller.
Therefore I think the SAS prices are artificially kept high.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix and Windows on 1 hard disk

I have one hard disk on my computer ( 8 Giga-bytes) and i installed windows 98 on drive C ( I have 4 drives : C , D , E , F which drive has 2 Giga-bytes space on it ) On which drive ( from 4 drives ) I have a lot data for example : on drive D I store most of my programs which i downloaded from... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoffe_adi
7 Replies

2. AIX

how to allow Windows platform to access Unix based disk volumes

How to allow Windows platform to access Unix(AIX) based disk volumes? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Disk Storage Need to Add more Disk

Hi, Anyone can help me, just want to confirm, if possible adding a disk storage that we have a RAWDATA with +ASM in our database. If possible, what would you recommend "workaround used" from us to do and the preparation. And also how long the downtime will take. Our disk continuous to grow,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fpalero
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between windows and Unix

Hi all, can anyone share any URl or link which is about the main 20 advantages and features of unix over windows i mean i need camparison matrix between windows and any flavour of unix. thanks a lot in advance for sharing. Best Regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: younusdba
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

storage disk details

Hi, We have a OEL5.7 installed and which has a storage attached on it. While running application it shows poor performance for Disk IO "dm-0" Now the question is how do I find what exactly is "dm-0" # iostat Linux 2.6.32-100.23.1.el5 03/10/2012 avg-cpu: %user %nice %system... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrshah64
9 Replies
MFI(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    MFI(4)

NAME
mfi -- LSI Logic & Dell MegaRAID SAS RAID controller SYNOPSIS
mfi* at pci? dev ? function ? DESCRIPTION
The mfi driver provides support for the MegaRAID SAS family of RAID controllers, including: - Dell PERC 5/e, PERC 5/i, PERC 6/e, PERC 6/i - Intel RAID Controller SRCSAS18E, SRCSAS144E - LSI Logic MegaRAID SAS 8208ELP, MegaRAID SAS 8208XLP, MegaRAID SAS 8300XLP, MegaRAID SAS 8308ELP, MegaRAID SAS 8344ELP, MegaRAID SAS 8408E, MegaRAID SAS 8480E, MegaRAID SAS 8708ELP, MegaRAID SAS 8888ELP, MegaRAID SAS 8880EM2, MegaRAID SAS 9260-8i - IBM ServeRAID M1015, ServeRAID M5014 These controllers support RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6, RAID 10, RAID 50 and RAID 60 using either SAS or SATA II drives. Although the controllers are actual RAID controllers, the driver makes them look just like SCSI controllers. All RAID configuration is done through the controllers' BIOSes. mfi supports monitoring of the logical disks in the controller through the bioctl(8) and envstat(8) commands. EVENTS
The mfi driver is able to send events to powerd(8) if a logical drive in the controller is not online. The state-changed event will be sent to the /etc/powerd/scripts/sensor_drive script when such condition happens. SEE ALSO
intro(4), pci(4), scsi(4), sd(4), bioctl(8), envstat(8), powerd(8) HISTORY
The mfi driver first appeared in NetBSD 4.0. BSD
March 22, 2012 BSD