Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to enable ping?a litte complex Post 303015630 by rbatte1 on Monday 9th of April 2018 07:25:53 AM
Old 04-09-2018
I think that this is most likely a routing problem. What is your routing table like?

Can you show us the output from ifconfig -a & netstat -rn on both sides? Remember that the target of the ping will have to be able to respond.

Robin
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

enable log

dear all i want to enable the below logs can you help me /var/adm/xferlog /var/spool/uucp/.Admin thanx you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: murad.jaber
0 Replies

2. Linux

How to enable Hibernate

Hi, I want to enable hibernate in my machine. when i click hibernate option, it is throwing message that hibernate is not enabled in kernel. earlier, i was hibernating in the same machine with windows os. any idea ? Thx in advance. Siva (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sivaswami
0 Replies

3. AIX

How to enable XDMCP?

Hello everyone, I installed AIX the other day (several times!) but I can't get XDMCP to work. I remember from when I installed it the last time it worked out of the box. So why doesn't it work now? This is the error message I get: XDMCP fatal error: Session failed Session 2 failed for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kotzkroete
3 Replies

4. AIX

Enable SMT

How to enable SMT in aix 5.2 ml 9? If i run smtctl it gives error ksh: smtctl: not found. please tell me if SMT is supported in 5.2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjm
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Animation Ping on Solaris Like Cisco Ping

Hi, I develop simple animation ping script on Solaris Platform. It is like Cisco ping. Examples and source code are below. bash-3.00$ gokcell 152.155.180.8 30 Sending 30 Ping Packets to 152.155.180.8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. % 93.33 success... % 6.66 packet loss...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokcell
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get reason for ping failure using perls Net::Ping->new("icmp");?

Hi I am using perl to ping a list of nodes - with script below : $p = Net::Ping->new("icmp"); if ($p->ping($host,1)){ print "$host is alive.\n"; } else { print "$host is unreacheable.\n"; } $p->close();... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tavanagh
4 Replies

7. SCO

Auditing: how to enable?

edit: solution found Auditing Quick Start and Compatibility Notes (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Enable lpfc changes!

Hi Folks! I am writing a script which changes lpfc.conf if there it has been setup on RHEL BOXes, do I need to put dracut -f for enabling it? I am not sure, Can someone help! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
6 Replies

9. Programming

Ping test sends mail when ping fails

help with bash script! im am working on this script to make sure my server will stay online, so i made this script.. HOSTS="192.168.138.155" COUNT=4 pingtest(){ for myhost in "$@" do ping -c "$COUNT" "$myhost" &&return 1 done return 0 } if pingtest $HOSTS #100% failed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mort3924
4 Replies

10. Linux

Please: a litte help to crosscompile.

I have installed the "mipsel tuxbox" compile suite for crosscompile Host system is x86_64 slackware destination is mipsel32bit "vuduo+" For example,I want to compile a program, I use this script make clean export TOOLCHAIN=/opt/mipsel-tuxbox-linux-gnu export... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
0 Replies
networks(4)							   File Formats 						       networks(4)

NAME
networks - network name database SYNOPSIS
/etc/inet/networks /etc/networks DESCRIPTION
The networks file is a local source of information regarding the networks which comprise the Internet. The networks file can be used in conjunction with, or instead of, other networks sources, including the NIS maps networks.byname and networks.byaddr and the NIS+ table networks. Programs use the getnetbyname(3SOCKET) routines to access this information. The network file has a single line for each network, with the following information: official-network-name network-number aliases Items are separated by any number of SPACE or TAB characters. A `#' indicates the beginning of a comment. Characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by routines which search the file. This file is normally created from the official network database maintained at the Network Information Control Center (NIC), though local changes may be required to bring it up to date regarding unofficial aliases and/or unknown networks. Network numbers may be specified in the conventional dot (`.') notation using the inet_network routine from the Internet address manipula- tion library, inet(7P). Network names may contain any printable character other than a field delimiter, NEWLINE, or comment character. SEE ALSO
getnetbyaddr(3SOCKET), getnetbyname(3SOCKET), inet(3SOCKET), nsswitch.conf(4), inet(7P) NOTES
The official SVR4 name of the networks file is /etc/inet/networks. The symbolic link /etc/networks exists for BSD compatibility. The network number in networks database is the host address shifted to the right by the number of 0 bits in the address mask. For example, for the address 24.132.47.86 that has a mask of fffffe00, its network number is 803351. This is obtained when the address is shifted right by 9 bits. The address maps to 12.66.23. The trailing 0 bits should not be specified. The network number here is different from that described in netmasks(4). For this example, the entry in netmasks would be 24.132.46.0 fffffe00. SunOS 5.11 17 Jan 2002 networks(4)