Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting UNIX Korn Shell to Linux Bash Post 303015383 by cpremesh on Wednesday 4th of April 2018 01:48:17 AM
Old 04-04-2018
UNIX Korn Shell to Linux Bash

Migrating Unix batch jobs (Korn Shell) running in HP-UX server to Linux environment.

Hi All

Please help me to understand the easiest way to migrate Kernel Shell scripts to Linux Bash. Also let me know
1. Any automated scripts or tools available for this.
2. Challenges and issues (performance, code change etc.)

Please help with your valuable suggestions.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please post in correct forum!

Last edited by RudiC; 04-04-2018 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: Moved from "Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators "

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Korn Shell Array Issue (SunOS)

Hello, I'm currently messing around with arrays for the first time in scripting (Unix Korn Shell). All I'm trying to do right now before I make things complicated is read through and print out to screen whether the read file is or is not a directory. Here is my directory: ls -l total... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Janus
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Online UNIX emulator for Korn Shell scripting

Hi, I am very new to UNIX and I wanted to know if there is any online UNIX emulator in which I can practice Korn shell scripting. I have internet access, but my machine's OS is Windows XP. I just had my UNIX fundamental class and wanted to practice some shell scripting. I am not in a position to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eswasas
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

practice tests- Unix Korn Shell Scripting

Hi, I am about to take certification for "Unix Korn Shell Scripting", which is conducted by brain bench. ( http://www.brainbench.com/xml/bb/common/testcenter/taketest.xml?testId=46) The test consists of 40 single and multiple choice questions that must be answered in 60 minutes. The pass mark... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eswasas
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

korn shell to bash - statement not working

Everything else seems to be working, but this isn't. Is it the "cat..." that is wrong of the condition? Thanks. cat tc_result.txt | while read LINE do if then let "files_run += 1"; echo "inside the if loop" # save current filetype case $LINE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: brdholman
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can a korn shell script be written on HP-UNIX?

Is HP UNIX and Korn different flavours of unix? can a korn shell script be written on HP Unix? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: soujanya_srk
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix korn shell leap years problem

Write a function called dateToDays that takes three parameters -a month string such as Sep, a day number such as 18, and a year number such as 1962-and return s the number of days from January 1, 1900, to the date. Notes: I am asking you to account for leap years. my script is not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: babuda0059
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difficulty with a couple commands porting from korn shell to bash

I am relatively new to shell scripting. I have a script I wrote that works fine in korn shell. I need to make it work in bash on a different server. There are a couple valid korn shell commands I am having difficulty finding the bash equivalents for. At one point the scripts prompts the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: inakajin
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

security for unix korn shell script

hello I am using a korn shell script. I want to make them password protected. Please suggest some ways to do it. thanks in advance for your sufggestion ! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urfrnddpk
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Linux/UNIX Bash Shell Script trouble help needed!!

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 2. Shell Bash Script 3. !/bin/bash if echo no directory then mkdir -p /home/AC_Drywall elif ; then echo "$dir already exist" fi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomFord1
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Typeset is not working in Linux korn shell scripting

Hi All, Kindly help on the below issue ASAP. Its very urgent. I have script in which we have below two lines for code and it is not working. Please help. files_to_process=" abc_*.log def_*.log ghi_*.log " typeset -A dir_list ${files_to_process} the script is failing in Linux... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tvbhkishore
3 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - overview of various system shells SYNOPSIS
POSIX Shell option] ... string] [arg ...] option] ... string] [arg ...] Korn Shell option] ... string] [arg ...] option] ... string] [arg ...] C Shell [command_file] [argument_list ...] Key Shell DESCRIPTION
Remarks The POSIX .2 standard requires that, on a POSIX-compliant system, executing the command activates the POSIX shell (located in file on HP-UX systems), and executing the command produces an on-line manual entry that displays the syntax of the POSIX shell command-line. However, the command has historically been associated with the conventional Bourne shell, which could confuse some users. To meet stan- dards requirements and also clarify the relationships of the various shells and where they reside on the system, this entry provides com- mand-line syntax and a brief description of each shell, and lists the names of the manual entries where each shell is described in greater detail. The Bourne shell is removed from the system starting with HP-UX 11i Version 1.5. Please use the POSIX shell as an alternative. Shell Descriptions The HP-UX operating system supports the following shells: POSIX-conforming command programming language and command interpreter residing in file Can execute commands read from a terminal or a file. This shell conforms to current POSIX standards in effect at the time the HP-UX system release was introduced, and is similar to the Korn shell in many respects. Similar in many respects to the Korn shell, the POSIX shell contains a history mechanism, supports job control, and provides various other useful features. Korn-shell command programming language and commands interpreter residing in file Can execute commands read from a terminal or a file. This shell, like the POSIX shell, contains a his- tory mechanism, supports job control, and provides various other useful features. A command language interpreter that incorporates a command history buffer, C-language-like syntax, and job control facilities. Restricted version of the POSIX shell command interpreter. Sets up a login name and execution environment whose capabilities are more controlled (restricted) than normal user shells. restricted version of the Korn-shell command interpreter Sets up a login name and execution environment whose capabilities are more controlled (restricted) than normal user shells. An extension of the standard Korn Shell that uses hierarchical softkey menus and context-sensitive help. +--------------+--------------------+ | To obtain: | Use the command: | +--------------+--------------------+ | POSIX Shell | /usr/bin/sh ... | | Korn Shell | /usr/bin/ksh ... | | C Shell | /usr/bin/csh ... | | Key Shell | /usr/bin/keysh | +--------------+--------------------+ These shells can also be the default invocation, depending on the entry in the file. See also chsh(1). WARNINGS
Many manual entries contain descriptions of shell behavior or describe program or application behavior similar to ``the shell'' with a ref- erence to ``see sh(1)''. SEE ALSO
For more information on the various individual shells, see: keysh(1) Key Shell description. ksh(1) Korn Shell description. sh-posix(1) POSIX Shell description. csh(1) C Shell description. sh(1)