Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Split and Rename Split Files
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Split and Rename Split Files Post 303015036 by Don Cragun on Monday 26th of March 2018 07:53:58 PM
Old 03-26-2018
Does the following help?
Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh
# Usage: utlity_name Chunk_Size Filename...
# where:	Chunk_Size is the number of lines to write in each output file.
#
#		Filename is the filename (not pathname) of a file to be split
#		into files each of which contains no more than Chunk_Size lines
#		with a name that is a leading zero-filled 3 digit decimal
#		sequence number of the file being split followed by an
#		underscore follwed by Filename.

# Get the chunk size from the 1st operand.
ChunkSize=$1

# Discard the 1st command-line operand leaving just the filenames as the
# remaining operands.
shift 1

# Invoke awk to process the Filename operands given on the command line:
awk -v s="$ChunkSize" '				# Set s to the chunk size.
FNR == 1 {					# When we find the 1st line in
						# an input file...
	i = 0					#   reset the output file
						#   counter for this input file.
}
FNR%s == 1 {					# When we find the 1st input
						# line in a chunk size set of
						# lines in an input file...
	close(fn)				#   close the previous output
						#   file (if there was one)
						#   and...
	fn = sprintf("%03d_%s", ++i ,FILENAME)	#   set the output filename for
						#   the next output file.
}
{						# For every line read from an
						# input file...
	print > fn				#   write the input line into
						#   the current output file.
}' "$@"						# Mark end of awk script and
						# pass in the remaining
						# command-line arguments as the
						# names of the files to be
						# split.

This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a file with no pattern -- Split, Csplit, Awk

I have gone through all the threads in the forum and tested out different things. I am trying to split a 3GB file into multiple files. Some files are even larger than this. For example: split -l 3000000 filename.txt This is very slow and it splits the file with 3 million records in each... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

split and rename the file

Hi All, I have a requirement .I want to split a file and the split files should have certain names. Currently when i use the split command split -1000 testdata testdata_ Then the output is testdata_aa testdata_bb testdata_cc and so on. But i want the output as testdata1.snd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk split and rename files

I have a file test1.html like below: <dctm_topnav_en_US> <html> ..... </html> <dctm_topnav_en_CA> <html> ..... </html> <dctm_topnav_en_FR> <html> ..... </html> I need to use awk to split this into three file names like en_US.html , en_CA.html, en_FR.html each having content between... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay52
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split then rename

Hi everyone, I am trying to write an if statement that will split a file if it is over 1 million records/lines into files with say 900,000 records and then rename those files without the aaa, aab, aac format that splitting normally does and into a specific naming convention. For instance, if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coach5779
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split and Rename files using Terminal and bin/bash

I have a file named Me_thread_spell.txt that I want to split into smaller files. I want it to be split in each place there is a ;;;. For example, blah blah blah ;;; blah bhlah hlabl awasnceuir asenduhfoijhacseiodnbfxasd;;; oabwcuhaweoir;;; This full file would be three separate files... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mschpers
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to split one field and print the last two fields within the split part.

Hello; I have a file consists of 4 columns separated by tab. The problem is the third fields. Some of the them are very long but can be split by the vertical bar "|". Also some of them do not contain the string "UniProt", but I could ignore it at this moment, and sort the file afterwards. Here is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split and Rename multiple files

Hi, I have a data file like below messageid|email|timestamp 750452173|123@googlemail.com|2013-05-24 16:14:32 750464921|000@gmail.com|2013-06-13 19:38:01 750385426|001@googlemail.com|2013-01-06 12:06:36 750373470|000@wz.eu|2012-11-30 22:32:07 . . I want to split the files based on the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: armsaran
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split and rename files

Hello, Need to split files into n number of files and rename the files Example: Input: transaction.txt.1aa transaction.txt.1ab ...... Output: transaction.txt.1 transaction.txt.2 transaction.txt.3 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krux_rap
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : split file and rename and save in path according to content

Hello, I'm using Windows 7 ; sed, awk and gnuwin32 are installed. I have a big text file I need to manipulate. In short, I will have to split it in thousands of short files, then rename and save in a folder which name is based upon filename. Here is a snippet of my big input.txt file (this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sellig
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Automate splitting of files , scp files as each split completes and combine files on target server

i use the split command to split a one terabyte backup file into 10 chunks of 100 GB each. The files are split one after the other. While the files is being split, I will like to scp the files one after the other as soon as the previous one completes, from server A to Server B. Then on server B ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaika
2 Replies
split(1)							   User Commands							  split(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [-linecount | -l linecount] [-a suffixlength] [file [name]] split [-b n | nk | nm] [-a suffixlength] [file [name]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads file and writes it in linecount-line pieces into a set of output-files. The name of the first output-file is name with aa appended, and so on lexicographically, up to zz (a maximum of 676 files). The maximum length of name is 2 characters less than the maximum filename length allowed by the filesystem. See statvfs(2). If no output name is given, x is used as the default (output-files will be called xaa, xab, and so forth). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -linecount | -l linecount Number of lines in each piece. Defaults to 1000 lines. -a suffixlength Uses suffixlength letters to form the suffix portion of the filenames of the split file. If -a is not specified, the default suffix length is 2. If the sum of the name operand and the suffixlength option-argument would create a filename exceeding NAME_MAX bytes, an error will result; split will exit with a diagnostic message and no files will be created. -b n Splits a file into pieces n bytes in size. -b nk Splits a file into pieces n*1024 bytes in size. -b nm Splits a file into pieces n*1048576 bytes in size. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file The path name of the ordinary file to be split. If no input file is given or file is -, the standard input will be used. name The prefix to be used for each of the files resulting from the split operation. If no name argument is given, x will be used as the prefix of the output files. The combined length of the basename of prefix and suffixlength cannot exceed NAME_MAX bytes. See OPTIONS. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of split when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of split: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csplit(1), statvfs(2), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 16 Apr 1999 split(1)