Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Zipping
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Zipping Post 303013962 by Stellaman1977 on Friday 2nd of March 2018 01:25:48 PM
Old 03-02-2018
OK Thanks!

That's interesting. I've only seen that used when running an application or script while I'm in the directory- not when something is a "target" of a command. Could I also do
Code:
tar -zcvf jsmitharchive.tar.gz /home/jsmith

without
Code:
cd home

?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

zipping in a loop

Hello All, I have a requirement that i need to gzip each file that is more than 5 days old inside a directory. Could some one help me with the script ? do i need to write a for loop or can be done through single command? Thanks, Sateesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotasateesh
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zipping

Hi In unix i want to zip the files in a directory excluding *.dmp, *.log, *.lst, *.out files in that directory. pls let me know what command to use. $zip ........ ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help me While zipping the file

Hi , I have written code which will ask the subject,body of the mail, attachment and mail id of the receipient. Code will pick up 4 files zip it. It will zip all the files and then post the mail to the receipient. While zipping the file i am getting error. Can anyone help me with this. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jolly
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

zipping files

Dear Experts, I need a script which will zipped the files older than 2 days. but i dont want to use find . * -mtime 2. Is there is any other method to achive this task. i will ececute the script daily. Regards, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shary
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zipping files?

how would i zip a file? what does zip mean? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trob
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

zipping files

Hi, Is there any difference if files are individually zipped and archived in a directory or if files are moved into archiving directory and zipping that directory. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathich
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help With zipping a file

Hi I need to zip a file and move it into another folder along with the timestamp. The orginal file must be removed from the source directory Source : folder1/source12.txt folder2 After zipping Folder1/Folder2/source12.zip Any help will be greatly appreciarted ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: akshay01987
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zipping files

Hi All, I have a scenario where in am using uuencode to send a txt file as an excel to end users( email attachment).I have 7 different files and these files are sent as emails 7 times... So my question is, can i not zip all the 7 files at once and attach those files in a single... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: saggiboy10
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zipping files

Hi Guys, The script below works but it creates a zip folder under 123_arch.zip -- test1 -- orig1.txt -- orig2.txt -- orig3.txt -- orig4.txt I don't want the sub directory test1 but everything under the base *arch name I can not create a long name with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GaryP1973
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with grouping and zipping

Hi can you please help with the below ? source file: Column1,Column2,Column3,Column4 abc,123,dir1/FXX/F19,1 abc,123,dir1/FXX/F20,1 abc,123,dir1/FXX/F23,2 abc,123,dir1/FXX/C25,2 abc,123,dir1/FXX/X25,2 abc,123,dir1/FXX/A23,3 abc,123,dir1/FXX/Z25,3 abc,123,dir1/FXX/Y25,4 I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paul1234
3 Replies
IRSEND(1)							   User Commands							 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.9.0-pre1 October 2010 IRSEND(1)