Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Converting system to trusted
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Converting system to trusted Post 303013912 by anaigini45 on Thursday 1st of March 2018 10:13:21 PM
Old 03-01-2018
Converting system to trusted

Hi,

I need to convert few HP-UX (V 11.31) machines from un-trusted to trusted.
I used the HP SMH to do this on one server. However when I click on "Yes" to proceed with the conversion, I get this error :

HTML Code:
The attempt to convert this system to a trusted system failed.
The command return value was "-1" and the standard error output was: 
The system cannot be converted while shadow passwords are in use.
I googled some solutions, and they suggested using “pwunconv” command to convert the passwords from shadow to non-shadow.
But this could lead to removing the whole PHI (Password Has Infrastructure) software, and user passwords or even user accounts would be eventually deleted.

Please suggest the best way to convert to trusted system, and if the option above is used, is there a way to restore the PHI software?

Thanks,
Aigini

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PAM Vs Trusted mode in HP-UX

Hi All, Some questions on PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modulues) and Trusted mode in HP-UX. As default, when I turn on trusted mode (need shadow password only), the PAM is atomatically installed(not sure the word "installed" is appropriate or not). Can we turn on the trusted mode only,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonchan1000
0 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Trusted Computing

About a year ago, a friend of mine who worked on the OReilly Snort book took a propsal he and I had worked on for a book on Trusted Computing. Though the editor thought the content was good and worthwhile, he felt that there wasn't enough of a market to justify printing such a work. How many... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kduffin
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

Trusted system: Please Help.

I was playing with sam and i turned on the Trusted System feature (UX11i). Now i cant log onto it anymore, i can ping it, but icant telnet, rlogin or login at the login screen. I dont want to reboot my machine because i am affraid it wont boot and ask for a password. My root password is not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Netghost
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting a Windows system to a UNIX system

Hello I am looking for advise on how to convert a windows based computer system into a UNIX based operating system.. I would like to be able to learn UNIX better than I know it and work didn't allow me to work with UNIX much. Is there a book where I could learn how to accomplish that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baksg1995
6 Replies

5. HP-UX

shadowed password file on non-trusted system?

Is it possible to have shadowed password file without implementing a Trusted System? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxdude
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris Trusted Extension ?

How to check if a system has Solaris trusted extensions installed or not on a solaris 10 system ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
5 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Converting an old windows vista system to Unix

I have an old Dell system that I would like to convert over to a Unix system and I have no idea how to do this. Where can I go to get the information to do this. This will be a secondary computer that I will learn and "play" with. I have heard that it is fairly easy to do and that once I get used... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Richard.Borden2
0 Replies

8. HP-UX

Enable telnet as root to 11.31 non-trusted system?

I have a new box that was set up for me and I want to allow telnet to the box as root. I know that it's not secure but due to the nature of what I test I need an easy and reliable way back in if I've messed up the other connection methods(SSH). This is in a protected lab environment. Eventually... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: gctaylor
17 Replies

9. HP-UX

HP-UX revert from trusted system to default

All, I have inherited some software that is running on HP-HX 11.11. The software ofers a GUI login and the user passwords can be either internal to the software, user defined or based on the matching unix account. The problem I have is that the server has been converted to 'trusted' years... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
7 Replies
getspent(3C)															      getspent(3C)

NAME
getspnam(), getspnam_r(), getspent(), setspent(), endspent(), fgetspent() - access shadow password entries SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The routines and return a pointer to a shadow password entry. Each shadow password entry is an structure, declared in the header file, with the following members: The routine returns a pointer to a structure containing an entry from the shadow password database with a matching The routine is similar to except that it does not work on systems which have been converted to trusted mode, and it has three extra parame- ters. updates the structure pointed to by and returns a pointer to that structure. Storage referenced by the structure pointed to by is allocated from the memory provided with the parameter, which is in size. A buffer length of 2048 is recommended. The initial call to returns a pointer to the first structure. Subsequent calls return pointers to successive structures. Repeated calls to can be used to search all entries in the password database. The routine searches password entries from beginning to end, until a login name matching name is found, and returns a pointer to that entry. The routine is used to reset access to the shadow password entries. After is called, the subsequent call to returns the first shadow pass- word entry. This mechanism is used to allow repeated searches of the shadow password entries. The routine is used to indicate that process- ing of password entries is complete. unlike the other functions above, does not use and does not access NIS. It returns a pointer to the next structure in the standard I/O stream. The I/O stream should be open for reading and its contents should match the format of Notes Shadow password entries normally reside in However, there are two exceptions to this. On a standard system with no file, the password and aging information is obtained from and translated into an structure. If the system has been converted to a trusted system, the password and aging information is obtained from the Protected Password Database and translated into an structure. If the fields corresponding to or are not specified in the entry, they default to If the returned value of or is then the feature associ- ated with that field is considered to be disabled. The routines and depend on the configuration of the file. See nsswitch.conf(4). Entries may reside in any repository specified in These routines use the switch for the database; for example, an entry in would contain Programs using these routines must be compiled with APPLICATION USAGE
In a multithreaded application on standard systems, and are thread-safe, but not async-cancel-safe. A cancellation point may occur when a thread is executing any of these interfaces. On systems which have been converted to trusted mode, only is thread-safe. RETURN VALUE
If an EOF or error is encountered while reading, and return a pointer. Otherwise, the return value points to a valid structure. In the case of and the structure resides in an internal area. In the case of the structure resides in the structure pointed to by the argument. WARNINGS
HP-UX 11i Version 3 is the last release to support trusted systems functionality. FILES
system password file. shadow password file. protected password database, for trusted systems. SEE ALSO
getpwent(3C), getprpwent(3), nsswitch.conf(4), passwd(4), shadow(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
: SVID3 getspent(3C)