Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Linux Shell Scripting If-else and Case Post 303013689 by RudiC on Monday 26th of February 2018 03:43:32 AM
Old 02-26-2018
The script does work, but you've got the logics wrong. Check without clearing the screen between the loops. Mayhap after settimng the -vx shell options.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting for Unix and/or Linux

Anyone here knows any reasonably priced courses for independent (not corporate) users that can point me to. Already know Unix commands/vi/etc but now need scripting too. Any replies will be appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FastFood
2 Replies

3. Linux

Linux/Unix Shell Scripting Book

I want to learn Linux/Unix shell scripting, I searched this forum but got some results for Unix Admin books and general Linux books. Would someone recommend a good Linux Shell Scripting book? I did order one book A Practical Guide to Linux(R) Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thoughts
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle case insensitive in shell scripting

Hi All, I am new to this forum also new to shell scripting. I have a requirement to read a text from a file which can be in any case like LOGFILE or LogFile or logfile or lOgfILE etc.. Can you guys help me out. Thanks, Bacsi01 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bacsi01
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting Linux

In shell Can I pass " to a program ? If not what is the work around ..? Can I define * as a wild card charecter that will return all the values from the files ..? I am trying to create a tool that will return the values from a property file . This tool has to support all the wild card... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: app1sxv
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux/Unix shell scripting vs Perl

Hi, I have general question: i have good working Perl script with .pl extension, and now I have to migrate all to another Linux box, and I was told that I can use only shell scripting, so I'm not sure how different those two things are, will it work without any changes . Is there anything smart I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: trento17
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Change Upper case to Lower case in C shell

Is there a command that can switch a character variable from UPPER case to lower case? like foreach AC ( ABC BCD PLL QIO) set ac `COMMAND($AC)` ... end Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

array + if in linux shell scripting

Hi, I am having two set of files with different number of columns and rows. A set of files have only single row with 20 columns. B set of files have 1000s of rows with 5 columns. both set contains equal number of files. I want to save all the 20 columns of A in variables one by one and... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAch
21 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use case insensitive variable in ksh shell scripting using sed or awk

I am using a variable called $variable in a pattern search to print from a starting variable to a constant value. the variable search should be case in sensitive. i tired using Ip at the end in the below command. but in ksh it is not working. sed -n "/$variable/,/constant/p" file i also... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjs
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting with case statement

Foe example we have three environments int,qa and prod.Each environment has some number of servers. int=Server1,Server2,Server3 qa=Server4,Server5,Server6 prod=Server7,Server8,Server9 echo "Enter the Environment i.e int,qa,prod" read env case $env in int) ## Need command where all the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nareshreddy443
9 Replies
mktemp(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						mktemp(3C)

NAME
mktemp - make a unique file name from a template SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> char *mktemp(char *template); DESCRIPTION
The mktemp() function replaces the contents of the string pointed to by template with a unique file name, and returns template. The string in template should look like a file name with six trailing 'X's; mktemp() will replace the 'X's with a character string that can be used to create a unique file name. Only 26 unique file names per thread can be created for each unique template. RETURN VALUES
The mktemp() function returns the pointer template. If a unique name cannot be created, template points to a null string. ERRORS
No errors are defined. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Generate a filename. The following example replaces the contents of the "template" string with a 10-character filename beginning with the characters "file" and returns a pointer to the "template" string that contains the new filename. #include <stdlib.h> ... char *template = "/tmp/fileXXXXXX"; char *ptr; ptr = mktemp(template); USAGE
Between the time a pathname is created and the file opened, it is possible for some other process to create a file with the same name. The mkstemp(3C) function avoids this problem and is preferred over this function. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mkstemp(3C), tmpfile(3C), tmpnam(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Sep 2004 mktemp(3C)