Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 11 Global zone patching having Solaris 10 branded zone Post 303012849 by Peasant on Saturday 10th of February 2018 11:33:08 PM
Old 02-11-2018
Just a small disclaimer, i never worked with solaris 10 branded zones.

But, since it's a whole root zone, upgrade of solaris 11 global zone should have minimal to no effect to such zones.
Actually, no patching should occur for solaris10 zone.

So if the solaris 11 release you are patching support solaris10 branded zones, you should be fine.

I would go with normal attach with using preview switch first -n and examine the output.

If everything goes well in preview, run the normal attach.

Also, Solaris 11 system when doing major patching will create a backup boot environment automatically, followed by patching and activation of patched environment.
After the patching finishes, a reboot should suffice.
pkg subsystem will write that on the console after patching, and you can confirm the same by issuing beadm list after patching.

Depending on the importance of the system in the zone, backup(s) should be made.
This is done using zfs archives or zoneadm command subswitches and, of course, exporting the text configuration of zone using zonecfg.

Hope that helps
Regards
Peasant.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris Zone : Non global Zone check failed

Hi All , I try to install some packages in my global zone... On the execution of the installion of the script it quits by saying the error "Non global zone check failed" Kindly help me in this regard Thanks in advance, jeganr (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
7 Replies

2. Solaris

Prerequisites for Solaris10 Branded Zone within Solaris 11 Express

Dear all, we are trying to install a Solaris10 Branded Zone on a Solaris 11 Express system getting this message: ***The image patch level is downrev for running in a solaris10 branded zone*** The Sparc Solaris 10 system is running Release 11/06 and Patch 119254-70 is installed. Does the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xunil321
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 9 branded zone on a Solaris 10 server

I have a T5220 running Solaris 10. I have a application that can only run on Solaris 9. I want to build a branded Solaris 9 zone for this application on the Solaris 10 Server. What steps would I need to accomplish this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 10 local zone on Solaris 11 global zone

Hi, A quick question: Can Solaris 10 local zones be moved to a Solaris 11 global zone and work well? Thank you in advance! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Branded Solaris 10 zone no network

I am trying to create a branded 10 zone on a Solaris 11.1 control domain. I am using a flar image (cpio) from an existing LDOM. Here are the steps taken after flarcreate. #zonecfg -z <device> >create -b >set brand=solaris10 >set zonepath=/zonez/<device> >set ip-type=exclusive >add net... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aeroforce
1 Replies

6. Solaris

NFS server on Solaris 10 branded zone

I am trying to get a NFS share on a Solaris 10 branded zone. I have read that this is not possible...but I was hoping someone here could tell me different. share -F nfs -o ro,anon=0 /dir This would really surprise me that you cannot do this. Thanks (2 Replies)
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 branded zone with IPMP

All. I am trying to create a 10 branded zone on a Sol 11.1 T5. The Global is using IPMP...so aggregating is out of the question. Has anyone successfully created a branded zone with IPMP? If they have can you please show me the steps you took to get this to run. Thanks (4 Replies)
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Branded zone Solaris 9

Hi, I want to install branded zone sol 9 in sol 10. I keep getting same error. Please advice me. Thanks. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mzainal
12 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 11 zone has no external network access (except to Global Zone)

Hi, hoping someone can help, its been a while since I used Solaris. After creating a NGZ (non global zone), the NGZ can access the GZ (Global Zone) and the GZ can access the NGZ (using ssh, zlogin) However, the NGZ cannot access any other netwqork devices, it can't even see the default router ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GazinLincoln
2 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)