Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search for string in column using variable: awk Post 303012434 by RudiC on Sunday 4th of February 2018 11:04:11 AM
Old 02-04-2018
Code:
awk '
        {BUF[TMP=substr($2,1,index($2,":")-1), ++CNT[TMP]] = $0                 # store the input file in memory with index based on $2 and in increasing order
        }

END     {for (i=1; i<=22; i++)  {print i                                        # create sequence No. (1 .. 22) and print it
                                 for (c=1; c<=CNT[i]; c++) print BUF[i, c]      # print the input for this sequence number - if exists - in increasing order
                                }                                               # if it does not exist, CNT defaults to zero, and loop is not entered.
        }
' more.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

String search and return value from column

Dear All I had below mention file as my input file. 87980457 Jan 12 2008 2:00AM 1 60 BSC1 81164713 Jan 12 2008 3:00AM 1 60 BSC2 78084521 Jan 12 2008 4:00AM 1 60 BSC3 68385193... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string dublicates in column

Hi I have a file with one column. There are a few replicas in this column, that is some lines look exactly the same. I want to know the ones that occur twice. Inputfile.xml "AAH.dbEUR" "ECT.dbEUR" "AEGN.dbEUR" "AAH.dbEUR" "AKZO.dbEUR" ... Here I would like to be informed that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lulle
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search in a column by a string

Hi All, My file looks like : hsdhj dsajhf jshdfajkh jksdhfj jkdhsfj shfjhd shdf hdsfjkh jsdfhj hdshf sdjh dhs foot dsjhfj jdshf dasfh jdsh dsjfh jdfshj david Now, I want to search entire column by a string... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string in a file and extract another string to a variable

Hi, guys. I have one question: I need to search for a string in a file, and then extract another string from the file and assign it to a variable. For example: the contents of the file (group) is below: ... ftp:x:23: mail:x:34 ... testing:x:2001 sales:x:2002 development:x:2003 ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search several string and convert into a single line for each search string using awk command AIX?.

I need to search the file using strings "Request Type" , " Request Method" , "Response Type" and by using result set find the xml tags and convert into a single line?. below are the scenarios. Cat test Nov 10, 2012 5:17:53 AM INFO: Request Type Line 1.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recursively search the string from a column in no. of files

i have a file named keyword.csv(contains around 8k records) which contains a no. of columns. The 5th column contains all the keywords. I want to recursively search these keywords in all .pl files(around 1k) and display the filename....Afterthat i will use the filename and some of the column from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass column number as variable to awk and compare with a string.

Hi All, I have a file test.txt. Content of test.txt : 1 vinay se 2 kumar sse 4 kishore tl I am extracting the content of file with below command. awk '$2 ~ "vinay" {print $0}' test.txt Now instead of hardcoding $2 is there any way pass $2 as variable and compare with a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Girish19
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pass variable to awk command search string

I must have forgot how to do this, but, I am attempting to enter a variable into an awk / gawk search pattern. I am getting a value from user input to place in a specific section of a 132 character string. my default command is .... gawk --re-interval '/^(.{3}P .{4}CYA.{8}1)/' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdeevers
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search and replace nth column by using a variable.

I am passing a variable and replace nth value with the variable. I tried using many options in awk command but unable to ignore the special characters in the output and also unable to pass the actual value. Input : "1","2","3" Output : "1","1000","3" TempVal=`echo 1000` Cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variable search and line count between variable-search pattern

Input: |Running the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:48:01 BST 2016 |End of the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:49:54 BST 2016 |Running the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:54:01 BST 2016 |End of the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:55:45 BST 2016 |Running the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 23:00:02 BST 2016 |End of the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 23:01:44 BST 2016... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
4 Replies
SHTOOL-MOVE.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-MOVE.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-move - GNU shtool enhanced mv(1) replacement SYNOPSIS
shtool move [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-e|--expand] [-p|--preserve] src-file dst-file DESCRIPTION
This is a mv(1) style command enhanced with the ability to rename multiple files in a single operation and the ability to detect and not touch existing equal destinations files, thus preserving timestamps. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -e, --expand Expand asterisk in src to be used as ""%"n" (where n is 1,2,...) in dst-file. This is useful for renaming multiple files at once. -p, --preserve Detect src-file and dst-file having equal content and not touch existing destination files, thus perserving timestamps. This is useful for applications that monitor timestamps, i.e. suppress make(1L) repeating actions for unchanged files. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool move -v -e '*.txt' %1.asc # Makefile scanner.c: scanner.l lex scanner.l shtool move -t -p lex.yy.c scanner.c HISTORY
The GNU shtool move command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1999 for GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), mv(1), make(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-MOVE.TMP(1)