Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to do user-preset login to Bash shell then automate path modification? Post 303012295 by abdulbadii on Thursday 1st of February 2018 08:03:16 PM
Old 02-01-2018
How to do user-preset login to Bash shell then automate path modification?

How do a user login with full user-environment preset to Bash shell then automatically do path modification with few script codes, either on command-line or put it in a script file.
what i tried:

Code:
bash --login -c PATH="/ANewPath:${PATH}"
bash --login -c 'PATH="/ANewPath:${PATH}"; export PATH'
bash --login -c 'export PATH="/ANewPath:${PATH}"'
bash --login ~/ChangePath.sh

with no avail

Anybody please usefully and sincerely help me...
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 02-02-2018 at 01:52 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mistyped shell path, now i can't login as the only user that can su to root

i mistyped the location of bash and now i can't login as the only other user who belongs to wheel on my freebsd box. since i'm having many problems with samba, this has frozen my attempts to get things resolved with the former issue. i've been told that 'su -m' should do the trick, but it's... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
3 Replies

2. Solaris

How to get bash to be the login shell?

Is there a way to edit a .profile file that would let a user have bash as their login shell? We tried adding: exec /bin/bash --login to the .profile, but this produced an endless loop and we could not login using that account. Thanks! Aaron (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amheck
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in setting PATH variable in bash shell

Hi, I am new to shell scripting.I tried adding an entry to the path variable like below export PATH=$PATH:/opt/xxx/bin But am getting an error invalid identifier /opt/xxx/bin Can someone tell me the error above and correct me . Thanks and Regards, Padmini (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: padmisri
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting a path in bash shell

Hello all, Sorry if the question if stupid but I have no big experience with programming. I am trying to set a path to be used in a makefile.in, for installation of a Fortran code. The makefile.in contains the string $(CODE_NAME) Now, when I type in the bash shell export... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laura74
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automate CVS login using shell script

Hi, Can anyone pls help me to automate login to cvs. I basically want to login to cvs and update a file. the script always gets to the login and returns the prompt for a password. Is there any way to send the password in the script itself. Here is the script: #!/bin/ksh... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu_shekar
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Login as another user through Shell script from current user[Not Root]

Hi Every body, I would need a shell script program to login as different user and perform some copy commands in the script. example: Supppose ora_toms is the active user ora_toms should be able to run a script where user: ftptomsp pass: XXX should login through and run the commands ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ujjwal27
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to automate user selection options in shell script?

Hi There, I am trying to write a script which has to pick the prompted options by itself(i mean option to choose will be passed) here is real scenario i am trying to do. i have an executable(diagnos) which gets called in shell script, when the executable (diagnos) runs i get following as... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sairam_9191
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ask for a path from the user in XML and shell?

I am working on a small plugin for Galaxy, which is written in shell script.The XML wrapper shows multiple options of paths where the user would like to store the file. I now want to add an option where the user can specify the path. Also,he can specify the name of the output file.As I am new to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: menorca
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which of the following command displays your login shell in bash shell?

Options:: A)$shell B)echo $ bash C)echo $ O D)$ O (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghugowda
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automate OTPW login to ssh via bash script

Hello everyone. I'm a Linux novice trying out a lot of bash scripting lately, as it is so very addictive. Lately I have been setting up one of my boxes remotely and have been hardening it as much as possible. Please allow me to explain the scenario, as it does tend to become a little... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: instro
1 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a filename containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)