Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem evaluating condition
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem evaluating condition Post 303011951 by RudiC on Friday 26th of January 2018 11:06:00 AM
Old 01-26-2018
I'm afraid that using the result of a "command substitution" for an if condition is not too good an idea, as the shell it will try to run the result line as a command which will most probably fail.
What makes me somewhat hesitant is that
Code:
ps -ef|grep pmon_$ORACLE_SID|grep -v grep

doesn't seem to produce a result as can be seen in the output in lines 8 and 9. grep not producing an output line - and be it through the -v option - will yield the exit code 1 which is interpreted as FALSE.
Please show the result of the command
Code:
ps -ef|grep pmon_$ORACLE_SID

in your function. Is it possible the $ORACLE_SID has non-printing control chars in it?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with if condition

hi, :) pls consider the following if statement if //g') ] then ........ else ....... when i execute the script i am getting the following error '(' unexpected I am not able to find the mistake. could anybody tell where i did mistake. cheers RRK (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in if condition

hi, actully i need the belp for the below. host_list=" Host1 host2 host3 host4 " n=`hostname` i need to put the condition like the below if n is among the host mention in the host_list if then #some stugg else # some other stuff fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in if then else condition

Hi , I am trying the following simple script . But it is always giving 1 output. Dont know why #!/bin/sh find . -name "a.log" if ; then echo "1" else echo "0" fi Kindly advice. it is giving 1 output even when the a.log file is not there (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: himvat
26 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in using AND OR condition together

a=rhino b=crocodil c=testsc if && "$c" = testsc ] then echo "Test #5 succeeds." else echo "Test #5 fails." fi i need to test or condition before check the output with AND condition. ur help is much appreciated... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: gokulraj23
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

if condition not evaluating as expected

Hi all, Thanks in advance for your time. I have a data file like this: 1 7.465753425 2 8.980821918 1 1.717808219 1 6.550684932 0 5.432876712 I wish to write a bash script to check both columns and output a 1 if col1==1 AND col2<3. Otherwise I want to output a 0. In the above... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jem8271
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition problem

Hi, I need to use if condition for search a file pattern on a particular location. cd $file_Path if || then do this else do that fi Can someone help me with the if part, how i can put those conditions? make sure format should be *.file* and *.file file is a keyword which i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit.mathur08
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with if condition

Hi, I'm writing a bash script and i have a condition that goes if then break fi but, when i go to run it, i come across this line 10: ' where line 10 is the if I don't know what's going on :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: channyboy
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in if condition

Hi, below is the script in ksh and i am having issues with if condition. It takes in one argument as input and executes the shell script. The problem is in if condition in shell script. If input is given as 1 it works out well. But if input is given as 2 or something else the script is failing to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition problem

Hi All, I am using below if condition to check whether null is passed as a parameter to the program if or ; then echo "ABC">>$FILE else echo "CDF">>$FILE fi However it is saying me null=null command not found . Please help me with this (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Condition problem

Hi All, Seeking for your assistance on how to condition it correctly. cat file1.txt 290,1663,43,888,0,0.00,86.91,0.00,26.98,0.00 290,1663,52,0,0,0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00 290,1663,52,888,0,0.00,34.60,0.00,9.00,0.00 1st scenario: if the fourth column contains 888s and 0s it is by... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: znesotomayor
16 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)