Sponsored Content
The Lounge War Stories Linus Torvalds reply about Meltdown and Spectre. Post 303011891 by wisecracker on Thursday 25th of January 2018 05:34:25 AM
Old 01-25-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodona
.. for a only hypothetical problem.
Perhaps, perhaps not; a hardware design problem that goes back decades just to get performance figures to sell their CPUs is more than bad to say the least - especially when the manufacturers knew about it.
Also, it can't be that hypothetical if it has been proven to work. It is the big/gigantic sytems that will be affected by these patches not so much the piffling little stuff like my MacBook Pro. I can handle a performance hit knowing about it now but can the big guns? <- Rhetorical!

But unless one has experience of writing kernels and OSes then one can't possibly know how difficult it is to create patches, (that will inherently give a performance hit just to _correct_ a deliberate manufacturing fault for profit), that will not slow things down too much.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

What the best HD format for Unix & Linus

Hello people, Im just about to install linux and unix but would like to know what the best Partition type format is for both of them. Can anyone tell me Thankyou in advanced (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeffersno1
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

hard disk meltdown

I had an issue with a second hard disk in my machine. I have a sparc station running solaris 7. It was working fine but now it wont mount on boot up and when you try to mount it manually it gives an I/O error. I tried a different disk as a control which was fine. What I want to know is if my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Henrik
3 Replies

3. News, Links, Events and Announcements

A Couple of Short Linus Torvalds Videos

This link is to a page that has two short videos that feature Linus Torvalds discussing the Linux kernel. After you watch the first video, scroll down some more to reach the second video. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Meltdown and Spectre CPU bugs

This seems a bit serious: Meltdown, Spectre: The password theft bugs at the heart of Intel CPUs • The Register Vulnerability Note VU#584653 - CPU hardware vulnerable to side-channel attacks Project Zero: Reading privileged memory with a side-channel (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scrutinizer
8 Replies

5. AIX

AIX 6.1, POWER5 and Spectre/Meltdown

Apologies for this newbie question. We have inherited an IBM p5 520 (9111-520) running AIX 6.1.0.0 which seems to be the base install and no further patches installed. Is this vulnerable to the Spectre/Meltdown threat? Are patches available? Looks like AIX 6.1.0.0 went 'end of support' in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_garbage
8 Replies
X86_ENERGY_PERF_POLICY(8)				      System Manager's Manual					 X86_ENERGY_PERF_POLICY(8)

NAME
x86_energy_perf_policy - read or write MSR_IA32_ENERGY_PERF_BIAS SYNOPSIS
x86_energy_perf_policy [-c cpu] [-v] -r x86_energy_perf_policy [-c cpu] [-v] 'performance' x86_energy_perf_policy [-c cpu] [-v] 'normal' x86_energy_perf_policy [-c cpu] [-v] 'powersave' x86_energy_perf_policy [-c cpu] [-v] n DESCRIPTION
x86_energy_perf_policy allows software to convey its policy for the relative importance of performance versus energy savings to the proces- sor. The processor uses this information in model-specific ways when it must select trade-offs between performance and energy efficiency. This policy hint does not supersede Processor Performance states (P-states) or CPU Idle power states (C-states), but allows software to have influence where it would otherwise be unable to express a preference. For example, this setting may tell the hardware how aggressively or conservatively to control frequency in the "turbo range" above the explicitly OS-controlled P-state frequency range. It may also tell the hardware how aggressively is should enter the OS requested C- states. Support for this feature is indicated by CPUID.06H.ECX.bit3 per the Intel Architectures Software Developer's Manual. Options -c limits operation to a single CPU. The default is to operate on all CPUs. Note that MSR_IA32_ENERGY_PERF_BIAS is defined per logical processor, but that the initial implementations of the MSR were shared among all processors in each package. -v increases verbosity. By default x86_energy_perf_policy is silent. -r is for "read-only" mode - the unchanged state is read and displayed. performance Set a policy where performance is paramount. The processor will be unwilling to sacrifice any performance for the sake of energy saving. This is the hardware default. normal Set a policy with a normal balance between performance and energy efficiency. The processor will tolerate minor performance compro- mise for potentially significant energy savings. This reasonable default for most desktops and servers. powersave Set a policy where the processor can accept a measurable performance hit to maximize energy efficiency. n Set MSR_IA32_ENERGY_PERF_BIAS to the specified number. The range of valid numbers is 0-15, where 0 is maximum performance and 15 is max- imum energy efficiency. NOTES
x86_energy_perf_policy runs only as root. FILES
/dev/cpu/*/msr SEE ALSO
msr(4) AUTHORS
Written by Len Brown <len.brown@intel.com> X86_ENERGY_PERF_POLICY(8)