Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Running options in bash script Post 303011034 by apmcd47 on Friday 12th of January 2018 06:34:04 AM
Old 01-12-2018
I can think of two methods of implementing a quiet mode. First, use redirections.

Code:
if [ "${quietmode}" = "yes" ]
then 
   exec >/dev/null
fi
printf "this will not be printed in quiet mode\n"
printf "this is a required message and will be printed\n" > /dev/tty

Alternatively:
Code:
if [ "${quietmode}" = "yes" ]
then
   exec 3>/dev/null
else
   exec 3>&1
fi
printf "This won't be printed in quiet mode\n" >&3
printf "This will always be printed\n"

The other way is to use a function:
Code:
function myprint() {
   local mode=$1
   shift
   if [ "${mode}" = normal ] && [ "${quietmode}" = "yes" ]
   then
      return
   fi
   printf "$@"
}

myprint normal "this will not be printed in quiet mode\n"
myprint quiet "this will be printed always\n"

Untested.

Andrew
This User Gave Thanks to apmcd47 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing options to a bash script

I'm just not sure where to start looking into this. I want to be able to create switches for my script. Back in the day I'd make my scripts interactive...you know: echo "what report do you want" echo "A)boxes with errors" echo "B)boxes with more than 5 errors" echo "C)Service groups that have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script running in bash 3.0 not in 3.2

I have wasted one working day writing this scripts. It compares two folders and make a good tabbed report about their differences. #!/bin/bash function DRAW_DEPTH () { ROUND=$1 while do printf %s " " ROUND=`expr $ROUND - 1` done printf %s "|- " } function MAIN () {... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: trutoman
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to compile multiple .c files with some options

I'm trying to write a bash script and call it "compile" such that running it allows me to compile multiple files with the options "-help," "-backup," and "-clean". I've got the code for the options written, i just can't figure out how to read the input string and then translate that into option... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: travis.batzer
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running set options from the command line and bash command

I'm reading about debugging aids in bash and have come across the set command. It says in my little book that an addition to typing set you can also use them "on the command line when running a script..." and it lists this in a small table: set -o option Command Line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
5 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

how to create new options of "dd command" using bash script?

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Creating bash script the dd command and its new options (-l -U) -l options to lowercase contents of file -U... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: katherineskye1
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to add new options in bash script

what i want to be is that i would like to reinvent new options that have the same functionality as ... -u is the same functionality of conv=ucase and -l have the same functionality as conv=lcase... is there a way that i can put these in my script so that whenever i will typed in command... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: aphryllyn1
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading command line options from bash script

I have the following code and I am calling it using ./raytrac.bash -u and getting problems. For some reason opt_usage is still 0. opt_usage=0 iarg=0 narg=$# while (($iarg < $narg)) do (( iarg = $iarg + 1 )) arg=$argv usrInputFlag=`echo $arg | awk '/=/ {print 1}; ! /=/... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
22 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script running by sh but not by bash

execute the attached script as, bash -x INFA_MAP_GEN_XML.sh "/export/home/e120945/INFORMATICA_MAPPING_GENERATOR/SOURCE" "INFA_TEMPLATE.csv" "/export/home/e120945/INFORMATICA_MAPPING_GENERATOR/TARGET" "UNIX" "/export/home/e120945/INFORMATICA_MAPPING_GENERATOR/SETUP"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 120945
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script to check if script itself is running

hi guys we've had nagios spewing false alarm (for the umpteenth time) and finally the customer had enough so they're starting to question nagios. we had the check interval increased from 5 minutes to 2 minutes, but that's just temporary solution. I'm thinking of implementing a script on the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a remote script with automatic options

I'm trying to run a script that will remotely copy another script to remote host and run copied script to remote server with automatic options- #! /bin/bash HOSTNAME="1 2" for HOST in $HOSTNAME; do scp diskFrag.sh login@$HOST:/home/login sleep 30 ssh login@$HOST... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mannu2525
2 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD