Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Running options in bash script Post 303011019 by Cody Learner on Thursday 11th of January 2018 09:54:45 PM
Old 01-11-2018
Running options in bash script

Hello UNIX & Linux Forums community! Long time Linux daily user hobbyist, new to shell scripting....

I'm working on a script that does all the "work" in one script, and makes calls to a second script to display info to the user via mostly expanding variables in heredocs.

I'm contemplating a -q --quiet option to stop the info displaying. Being new to this, I've thought through and tested the following.

However, I'm at a loss as to the terminology used for what I'm trying to do. That leaves me at a loss to find out if my method would be considered bad scripting, and if so, what would be a more appropriate method to easily implement a --quiet option.

The scripts are quite tested and working well at this point. This is more of an afterthought and mental exercise than something really needed.

BTW, I'm manually parsing options without using getopts. I could post the scripts, around 300 lines total, if needed. It's a (current version) bash script, running Arch Linux if it matters. (mostly current version prog's)

Code:
#!/bin/bash

mainfunc () {
    echo "run mainfunc commands"
    $switch    
}

optfunc () {
    echo "run user info extras"
}

normal () { switch=optfunc
}
quiet () { switch=  
}

while    :; do
    case "${1}" in
        -R)     normal ; mainfunc     ;;
       -Rq)     quiet  ; mainfunc    ;;
         *)    break
    esac
    shift
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing options to a bash script

I'm just not sure where to start looking into this. I want to be able to create switches for my script. Back in the day I'd make my scripts interactive...you know: echo "what report do you want" echo "A)boxes with errors" echo "B)boxes with more than 5 errors" echo "C)Service groups that have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script running in bash 3.0 not in 3.2

I have wasted one working day writing this scripts. It compares two folders and make a good tabbed report about their differences. #!/bin/bash function DRAW_DEPTH () { ROUND=$1 while do printf %s " " ROUND=`expr $ROUND - 1` done printf %s "|- " } function MAIN () {... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: trutoman
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to compile multiple .c files with some options

I'm trying to write a bash script and call it "compile" such that running it allows me to compile multiple files with the options "-help," "-backup," and "-clean". I've got the code for the options written, i just can't figure out how to read the input string and then translate that into option... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: travis.batzer
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running set options from the command line and bash command

I'm reading about debugging aids in bash and have come across the set command. It says in my little book that an addition to typing set you can also use them "on the command line when running a script..." and it lists this in a small table: set -o option Command Line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
5 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

how to create new options of "dd command" using bash script?

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Creating bash script the dd command and its new options (-l -U) -l options to lowercase contents of file -U... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: katherineskye1
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to add new options in bash script

what i want to be is that i would like to reinvent new options that have the same functionality as ... -u is the same functionality of conv=ucase and -l have the same functionality as conv=lcase... is there a way that i can put these in my script so that whenever i will typed in command... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: aphryllyn1
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading command line options from bash script

I have the following code and I am calling it using ./raytrac.bash -u and getting problems. For some reason opt_usage is still 0. opt_usage=0 iarg=0 narg=$# while (($iarg < $narg)) do (( iarg = $iarg + 1 )) arg=$argv usrInputFlag=`echo $arg | awk '/=/ {print 1}; ! /=/... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
22 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script running by sh but not by bash

execute the attached script as, bash -x INFA_MAP_GEN_XML.sh "/export/home/e120945/INFORMATICA_MAPPING_GENERATOR/SOURCE" "INFA_TEMPLATE.csv" "/export/home/e120945/INFORMATICA_MAPPING_GENERATOR/TARGET" "UNIX" "/export/home/e120945/INFORMATICA_MAPPING_GENERATOR/SETUP"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 120945
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script to check if script itself is running

hi guys we've had nagios spewing false alarm (for the umpteenth time) and finally the customer had enough so they're starting to question nagios. we had the check interval increased from 5 minutes to 2 minutes, but that's just temporary solution. I'm thinking of implementing a script on the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a remote script with automatic options

I'm trying to run a script that will remotely copy another script to remote host and run copied script to remote server with automatic options- #! /bin/bash HOSTNAME="1 2" for HOST in $HOSTNAME; do scp diskFrag.sh login@$HOST:/home/login sleep 30 ssh login@$HOST... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mannu2525
2 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-c COMMAND] [-f] [-q] [-t] [file] DESCRIPTION
Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c COMMAND Run the COMMAND rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -f Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: One person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo' and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. -q Be quiet. -t Output timing data to standard error. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. Linux July 30, 2000 Linux