Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Big difference between UNIX systems? Which one as OSX replacement for a developer? Post 303010628 by JacobPhelps on Thursday 4th of January 2018 09:28:21 AM
Old 01-04-2018
DragonFly BSD and Solaris have incremental backup functionality included.

development is not a topic anymore because it seems that there are problems getting all popular web browsers running on linux/bsd.

I will stay with OSX as private system.
But I would like to do something like Linux/ From Scratch or Arc BSD to have a Unix-y system which I know and control up to 100%.

What can you recommend for this?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mac OSX vs. UNIX

To anyone that has the answer: What does UNIX have that Mac OSX doesn't. I am a programmer, and I am wondering if I could just get Mac OSX for my programming needs instead of UNIX. But my major question is what does UNIX have that Mac OSX doesn't. Thank you if you have the answer, and are willing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: REM
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

launching OSX apps in UNIX

How do you launch an OSX app in UNIX? -Mad (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madknowledge
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX mode in Mac OSX - problems

I am a Macintosh using OS 10.2 which has Unix underpinnings. When entering console mode (the root system where unix takes over) I get the following message - bootstrap_look_up () failed (ipc/send) invalid destination port I always used to get a localhost# prompt (and then can use unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ngilman
1 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

OSX/Unix problem

More of an OSX issue. I have a file name on my desktop of a previous file I had delete. Everytime I click on it, it dissapears, only to re-appear if I reboot/open cert apps/or save another file type like it to the desktop. The thing is, it's just the name of the file including extension. The... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cambridgedj
8 Replies

5. AIX

How big is AIX installed base (i.e. number of deployed systems)?

Hi, Just wondered if anyone knows the approximate size of the AIX installed base, i.e. number of machines running out there. I'm expecting a figure of less than a million. There seems to be a lack of info on the web. Presumably only IBM know for sure! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethr
3 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

MAC OSX and UNIX server based software

I am a MAC user evaluating electronic medical record software. I found a package which is UNIX server based. Can anyone tell me if MAC OS X can be used in this situation. The software is nexgen (www.nexgen.com). How UNIX "compatible" is MAC OS X? I apologize for my very limited UNIX... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaye32608
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix shell script Certification for oracle developer.

hi friends, I would like to do the certification in Korn shell scripts { i am using HP UNIX machine }. is there any certification for UNIX shell script . If yes please tell me the details . i am junior level oracle plsql developer . i interseted in unix shell scripting . i need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdhaprakasam
1 Replies
BACKUP_HELP(8)						       AFS Command Reference						    BACKUP_HELP(8)

NAME
backup_help - Displays help for backup commands SYNOPSIS
backup help [-topic <help string>+] [-admin] [-help] backup h [-t <help string>+] [-a] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The backup help command displays the complete online help entry (short description and syntax statement) for each operation code specified by the -topic argument. If the -topic argument is omitted, the output includes the first line (name and short description) of the online help entry for every backup command. To list every backup command whose name or short description includes a specified keyword, use the backup apropos command. OPTIONS
-topic <help string>+ Indicates each command for which to display the complete online help entry. Omit the backup part of the command name, providing only the operation code (for example, specify dump, not backup dump). If this argument is omitted, the output briefly describes every backup command. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The online help entry for each backup command consists of the following two or three lines: o The first line names the command and briefly describes its function. o The second line lists aliases for the command, if any. o The final line, which begins with the string "Usage", lists the command's options in the prescribed order. Online help entries use the same symbols (for example, brackets) as the reference pages in this document. EXAMPLES
The following example displays the online help entry for the backup dump command: % backup help dump backup dump: start dump Usage: backup dump -volumeset <volume set name> -dump <dump level name> [-portoffset <TC port offset>] [-at <Date/time to start dump>+] [-append] [-n] [-file <load file>] [-help] PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
backup(8), backup_apropos(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BACKUP_HELP(8)