Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FTP from AIX to Mainframe
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting FTP from AIX to Mainframe Post 303009826 by TechGyaann on Wednesday 20th of December 2017 04:53:01 PM
Old 12-20-2017
Lightbulb FTP from AIX to Mainframe

Hi All,

This is the scenario:-

I am writing a script to automate FTP files from AIX to Mainframe. ( Binary mode, passive connection)
  1. FTP the currently available files(poll a directory to find the list) and put it to mainframe in one connection instance
  2. Verify if all the files are copied to Mainframe successfully
  3. If the FTP command fails due to some issue, try to resend the files and if the issue persist after 5 attempts to resend, inform particular user by email.
    • If the retry succeeds(send only those files that was not sent., this is in case of partially succeeded transfer; say 5 files , 2 transferred and command failed due to some issue and other 3 not sent... in that case send only those 3 files).
  4. Now again verification of file(s) transferred to mainframe

Below is the script that I have written so far

Issue/Doubt/Question/Help required:
  1. Not able to do FTP with out giving password. Please let me know how to use .netrc here. Also please suggest any good alternative approach
  2. I don't have any idea about verifying the transferred file to Mainframe

Requesting for help / guidance;

Pseudo code/ outline:
Code:
#! /usr/bin/ksh

########################################
#--	Defining Variable				 --#
DATE=`date +%Y%m%d`
POLL_DIR=/home/abcd/processing
TMP_DIR=/home/abcd/processing/tmpdir
LOG_DIR=/home/abcd/processing/log
KSH_REC=$POLL_DIR/`basename $0`"_rec"	##--	Recovery file for the script
                                       # This will have current state of the script and will be used at while
                                       # restarting the script after failure(before failing the job updated the rec file)
HOST=`hostname`
LOCK_FILE=`basename $0`_$DATE.lock
STOPPER_FILE=`basename $0`_$DATE.stop
MASTER_LOG_FILE=$LOG_DIR/ftp_to_mvs_$DATE.log
PROCESSED_FILES=$TMP_DIR/processed_files_$DATE.dat
SOURCE_SERVER=`hostname`
REMOTE_SERVER='remoteserver.abcd.com'
REMOTE_PORT=12345 ##-- Dummy, not sharing the details here in open forum.
REMOTE_USER=userid
REMOTE_USER_PASS=userpasswd	
POLL_COUNTER=0

#--	Defining Functions				 --#

##--------------------------------------
#--	(1) function FTP to MVS
##--------------------------------------

f_FTP_MVS()
{

echo 'user $REMOTE_USER $REMOTE_USER_PASS' > $TMP_BATCH_FTP
	echo 'type binary' >> $TMP_BATCH_FTP
	echo 'passive' >> $TMP_BATCH_FTP
	cat $TMP_BATCH_FILE >> $TMP_BATCH_FTP
	echo 'bye' >> $TMP_BATCH_FTP
	ftp -sinv $REMOTE_SERVER $REMOTE_PORT << `cat $TMP_BATCH_FTP`
}

##------------------------------------------------------
#--	(2) function to verify files transferred to MVS
##------------------------------------------------------
f_VERIFY_FTP_MVS()
{
	##Use nlist or something to verify the transfer
}

if [[ ! -f $
[[ -f $PROCESSED_FILES ]] && rm -f $PROCESSED_FILES; touch $PROCESSED_FILES || touch $PROCESSED_FILES; ## Remove and touch if it exist
                                                                                 ## on first run; if not touch it. This is one time activity

while [ 1 ]	### Future enhancement --> Include a parameter for Date and compare with system time,
                     #  script should execute only for current day 00:00:01 hrs to 23:59:59 hrs else graceful exit;
                     # include STOPPER FILEs for convenient stoping by support team
do
	DATE_TS=`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`
	**		TMP_LOG_FILE=$LOG_DIR/ld_rdy_$DATE_TS.log	#--- Remove this file when processed
	**		TMP_FILE_ld_rdy=$TMP_DIR/ld_rdy_$DATE_TS.dat	#--- Remove this file when processed
	**		TMP_BATCH_FILE=$TMP_DIR/ftp_batch_$DATE_TS.dat	#--- Remove this file when processed
	**		TMP_BATCH_FTP=$TMP_DIR/ld_rdy_$DATE_TS.ftp
	FTP_RETRY_COUNTER=0

if [ `ls -lrt $POLL_DIR/*.ld_rdy | awk 'END {print NR}'` -gt 0 ] 	##** Change the condition with 1. LS and 2. grep "not found"
	then
		###	Creating the list of currently available load ready file(s) to process(which is to be FTP'ed to MVS
		ls -lrt $POLL_DIR/*.ld_rdy | awk '{print $NF}' > $TMP_FILE_ld_rdy
		awk '{print "put", $0}' $TMP_FILE_ld_rdy | sed 's/.ld_rdy//g' > $TMP_BATCH_FILE

###########################
		###	FTP To MVS Part		###
		###########################
		echo "POLL COUNTER\t:\t"$POLL_COUNTER > $TMP_LOG_FILE
		echo "DATE TIME	\t:\t"$DATE_TS >> $TMP_LOG_FILE
		echo "Trying to FTP below file(s) to Mainframe: "$TARGET_SERVER >> $TMP_LOG_FILE
		sed 's/.ld_rdy//g' $TMP_FILE_ld_rdy >> $TMP_LOG_FILE
		f_FTP_MVS 	

###	Check for success or failure of FTP command
		if [[ $? -ne 0 ]]
		then
			### Statements following failed FTPs command
			###	Step 1: Update the log for failure and
			echo "\nFailure in transfering file to targer server" >> $TMP_LOG_FILE
			FTP_RETRY_COUNTER=$(($FTP_RETRY_COUNTER+1))

sleep 10;

### Step 2: Check if FTP connection can be established
                        ## if not send an email to Support(if Counter is more than 2) stating there is FTP connection issue.
			## ----- Create a Function and call it here.

###	Step 3: If connection can be established then try re-sending the unprocessed file(S). -- Write a Function for this
			##			i. Create Processed and unprocessed file list
			##			ii. Try re-sending the unprocessed file
			##			iii. If succeeds., update the log and come out of this loop and start Polling
			##			iv. If fails, Update FTP_RETRY_COUNTER to ++1
                        ##                        and Call the  STEP 2 - Connection check Function if
                        ##                        FTP_RETRY_COUNTER is less than or equal to 2
			##			v.	If FTP failed again, send a note to support to check on the FTP connection

###	Step 4: Verify the files transferred to MVS

echo "exit 1 || 

echo "File(s) not available in the polling directory at this moment.\nPOLLING DIR\t:\t"$POLL_DIR"\n" >> $TMP_LOG_FILE

else
			echo "Below files were successfully transferred to target server"; `cat TMP_FILE_ld_rdy | sed 's/.ld_rdy//g'cd`
		fi

else
		echo "File(s) not available in the polling directory at this moment.\nPOLLING DIR\t:\t"$POLL_DIR"\n" >> $TMP_LOG_FILE
	fi

done

Last edited by rbatte1; 12-21-2017 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: Converted text lists to formatted lists with LIST=1 tags, corrected spelling and split long lines to make it more readable

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

mainframe FTP error

Hi when i am trying to ftp to a newly cretaed mainframe GDG for the first time,i am getting the following error... Verbose mode on. 200 Representation type is Ebcdic NonPrint 200 Port request OK. 550-SVC99 Return code=4 S99INFO=0 S99ERROR=38668 HEX=970C S99ERSN code X'00004379'). 550... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam99
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

ftp from unix to mainframe

hi suppose i have a file named xyz(-1) and i have to transfer(ftp) it on a Mainframe from unix,how should i do it as whenever i try to do so it says use MVS naming conventions (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashishabhishek
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

ftp from unix to Mainframe

suppose i have a file named xyz(-1) and i have to transfer(ftp) it on a Mainframe from unix,how should i do it as whenever i try to do so it says use MVS naming conventions (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ftp file from unix to mainframe

thanks (2 Replies)
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP'ing EBCDIC Characters from Mainframe

Hi All, I am new to this site, I have a requirement where in i have to FTP a file from mainframe to Unix box. The catch here is there are few Spanish characters like N with tilde(~) and a with ` etc., all other characters are coming fine but those mentioned above are not coming in a proper... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harikiranr
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP files to target Mainframe system

Hi Experts... Greetings for the day..! I just want to FTP the files to mainframe system.. my code is not working..and also i need to put the files in a particular directory in a specific naming format... ftp -i -n ${HOST_NAME} << END_FTP user ${USER_NAME} ${PASSWORD} put ${FILE_NAME}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spkandy
3 Replies

7. AIX

Problems with SSH/SFTP between AIX and Mainframe

Hi, I'm not sure if this has been solved in this forum already but please do help me out if possible. Basically, I've already setup a passwordless SSH connection between 2 AIX IDs (say ID-1 and ID-2) with a Mainframe server ID (say MVSID). I'm able to successfully do an SSH from the AIX server to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sambeet
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP issues between mainframe and UNIX

Hi All, The issue is that, we have a dataset in mianframe whose record length is 153 characters. And a batch job ftpies it to the unix server(SunOS) as a test file. But the ftpied file in unix does not have a record length of 153 chars. Each record of 153 chars gets splited into two line of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hareeshkumaru
8 Replies

9. AIX

ODBC Connectivity between Oracle10g on AIX and Mainframe

Hi, I have a task of setting up connectivity between Oracle 10g (AIX) and Mainframe (1 library). Went through couple of documents, forums, blogs etc. MY understanding is ODBC Generic Connectivity is free from Oracle side. Question: (may be dumb to you) 1. Has anybody done this and would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvmani_1
3 Replies

10. AIX

AIX Forum: FTP from AIX to Mainframe

This discussion thread is an extension to what was discussed in Shell scripting section. Please refer the post for the requirement: Requirement Post - Click Here The whole thread - Click Here I would like to know how I can use NDM to transfer file from AIX to Mainframe and to verify the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TechGyaann
3 Replies