Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help with filtering records in a file Post 303009705 by MadeInGermany on Tuesday 19th of December 2017 02:38:56 AM
Old 12-19-2017
Your awk command sets a field delimiter that accordingly splits the line into $1 and $2 but then you split the whole line $0.

Most simple is a combination of grep and grep -v
Code:
egrep " setting application " file1.txt | egrep -v "@msad" > tempfile.txt

Also doable with shell built-ins.
Code:
while IFS="" read row
do
  case $row in
  *" setting application "*)
    case $row in
    *"@msad"*)
    ;;
    *)
      printf "%s\n" "$row"
    ;;
    esac
  ;;
  esac
done < file1.txt > tempfile.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use records from one file to delete records in another file

file_in_1: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 file_in_2: 9 10 11 12 21 22 23 24 1 2 3 4 17 18 19 20 file_out: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenneth.mcbride
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering records of a file based on a value of a column

Hi all, I would like to extract records of a file based on a condition. The file contains 47 fields, and I would like to extract only those records that match a certain value in one of the columns, e.g. COL1 COL2 COL3 ............... COL47 1 XX 45 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: risk_sly
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues with filtering duplicate records using gawk script

Hi All, I have huge trade file with milions of trades.I need to remove duplicate records (e.g I have following records) 30/10/2009,trdeId1,..,.. 26/10/2009.tradeId1,..,..,, 30/10/2009,tradeId2,.. In the above case i need to filter duplicate recods and I should get following output.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmumbarkar
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

filtering records based on numeric field value in 8th position

I have a ";" delimited file.Whcih conatins a number fileds of length 4 charcters in 8th position But there is a alphanumeric charcters like : space, ";" , "," , "/" , "23-1" , "23 1" , "aqjhdj" , "jun-23" , "APR-04" , "4:00AM" , "-234" , "56784 ", "." , "+" "_" , "&" , "*" , "^" , "%" , "!"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indusri
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering records from 1 file based on some manipulation doen on second file

Hi, I am looking for an awk script which should help me to meet the following requirement: File1 has records in following format INF: FAILEd RECORD AB1234 INF: FAILEd RECORD PQ1145 INF: FAILEd RECORD AB3215 INF: FAILEd RECORD AB6114 ............................ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mintu41
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting duplicate records from file 1 if records from file 2 match

I have 2 files "File 1" is delimited by ";" and "File 2" is delimited by "|". File 1 below (3 record shown): Doc1;03/01/2012;New York;6 Main Street;Mr. Smith 1;Mr. Jones Doc2;03/01/2012;Syracuse;876 Broadway;John Davis;Barbara Lull Doc3;03/01/2012;Buffalo;779 Old Windy Road;Charles... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestport
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate records of a file on 2 types of records

Hi I am new to shell programming in unix Please if I can provide help. I have a file structure of a header record and "N" detail records. The header record will be the total number of detail records I need to split the file in 2: One for the header Another for all detail records Could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamcogar
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Filtering records of a csv file based on a value of a column

Hi, I tried filtering the records in a csv file using "awk" command listed below. awk -F"~" '$4 ~ /Active/{print }' inputfile > outputfile The output always has all the entries. The same command worked for different users from one of the forum links. content of file I was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilmudikonda
3 Replies
unix2dos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unix2dos(1)

NAME
unix2dos - UNIX to DOS text file format converter SYNOPSYS
unix2dos [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents unix2dos, the program that converts text files in UNIX format to DOS format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates unix2dos under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. unix2dos Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. unix2dos a.txt b.txt unix2dos -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. unix2dos a.txt -c iso b.txt unix2dos -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. unix2dos -k a.txt unix2dos -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. unix2dos -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos a.txt -n b.txt e.txt unix2dos -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. unix2dos -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHOR
Benjamin Lin - ( blin@socs.uts.edu.au ) MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
dos2unix(1) 1995.03.31 unix2dos v2.2 unix2dos(1)