Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Move directory recursive and leave symlinks at source Post 303009418 by carnagel on Thursday 14th of December 2017 08:04:55 AM
Old 12-14-2017
Only read activity - no changes or writes being made to files, or new files / directories being added - it's like an archive

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

non recursive search in the current directory only

Hi, Am trying for a script which should delete more than 15 days older files in my current directory.Am using the below piece of code: "find /tmp -type f -name "pattern" -mtime +15 -exec /usr/bin/ls -altr {} \;" "find /tmp -type f -name "pattern" -mtime +15 -exec /usr/bin/rm -f {} \;" ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: puppala
9 Replies

2. Programming

recursive copy of the directory

I want to copy a directory recursively ( it again has directories) and the directory is on windows and is nfsmounted in vxWorks, i am using unix to develop the code for this, can any one suggest me how to copy the directories recursively. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepthi.s
7 Replies

3. Programming

Recursive remove directory.

What is the best way to completely remove dir with it's content ??? rmdir deletes only EMPTY dirs as i know. The man page of remove function says "remove() deletes a name from the file system." Can it remove any dir recursively ??? :rolleyes: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trump
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recursive wc on a directory?

Hi all, I need to count the number of lines in all the files under a directory (several levels deep). I am feeling extremely dumb, but I don't know how to do that. Needless to say, I am not a shell script wiz... Any advice? thanks in advance! (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: bimba17
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move all files from source to destination directory based on the filename

Move all files starting with a specific name to different directory. This shell script program should have three parameters File Name Source Directory Destination Directory User should be able to enter ‘AB_CD*' in file name parameter. In this case all the files starting with AB_CD will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chetancrsp18
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync move with symlinks

Hi, I use rsync to move from source to target, but there are cases that I need to exclude: Suppose in my file system, I have a soft link ~/data -> /media/volgrp/data. Under data folder, there is a file hello.txt. After moving command "rsync --remove-source-files -aH --force ~/data/... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: huangyingw
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to move gz files from one source directory to destination directory?

Hi All, Daily i am doing the house keeping in one of my server and manually moving the files which were older than 90 days and moving to destination folder. using the find command . Could you please assist me how to put the automation using the shell script . ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script cannot create directory and move the file to that directory

I have a script, which is checking if file exists and move it to another directory if then mkdir -p ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly mv report_manual_alloc_rpt_A_I_ASSIGNMENT.${Today}*.csv ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Move directory with rsync and delete from source

I need a rsync command which will exclude certain files and directories from source and copy the rest. I got this command working, sudo rsync -avzh --exclude 'bin' --exclude 'braintree' --exclude 'colinmollenhour' --exclude 'composer' --exclude 'doctrine' --exclude 'fabpot' --exclude... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
2 Replies
TAR(1)							      General Commands Manual							    TAR(1)

NAME
tar - archiver SYNOPSIS
tar key [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Tar saves and restores file trees. It is most often used to transport a tree of files from one system to another. The key is a string that contains at most one function letter plus optional modifiers. Other arguments to the command are names of files or directories to be dumped or restored. A directory name implies all the contained files and subdirectories (recursively). The function is one of the following letters: c Create a new archive with the given files as contents. x Extract the named files from the archive. If a file is a directory, the directory is extracted recursively. Modes are restored if possible. If no file argument is given, extract the entire archive. If the archive contains multiple entries for a file, the lat- est one wins. t List all occurrences of each file in the archive, or of all files if there are no file arguments. r The named files are appended to the archive. The modifiers are: v (verbose) Print the name of each file treated preceded by the function letter. With t, give more details about the archive entries. f Use the next argument as the name of the archive instead of the default standard input (for keys x and t) or standard output (for keys c and r). u Use the next (numeric) argument as the user id for files in the output archive. This is only useful when moving files to a non-Plan 9 system. g Use the next (numeric) argument as the group id for files in the output archive. EXAMPLES
Tar can be used to copy hierarchies thus: {cd fromdir; tar c .} | {cd todir; tar x} SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/tar.c SEE ALSO
ar(1), bundle(1), tapefs(1) BUGS
There is no way to ask for any but the last occurrence of a file. File path names are limited to 100 characters. The tar format allows specification of links and symbolic links, concepts foreign to Plan 9: they are ignored. TAR(1)