Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ufsrestore
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ufsrestore Post 303009302 by hicksd8 on Tuesday 12th of December 2017 10:36:33 AM
Old 12-12-2017
Not exactly sure (once again) of your question so I'll just write and hope it helps.

The VTOC is a table showing how the disk is sliced. It always pays to print out all VTOC's of production systems so you know how big each slice is. Of course, it doesn't matter if you configure a new disk with some or all bigger slices than the box that you are trying to recover, important thing is you don't want to restore a filesystem to a slice that is too small and run out of space during the restore and have to start again.

fmthard is just a special recovery command that will read a previously output VTOC file (these are straight ASCII so you can cat them) and create an identical VTOC on the new disk. So the slices are identical which is great but not much good if you are trying to deliberately install bigger slices.

You can manipulate the VTOC within the format command (always taking great care to ensure no slice overlaps another) and then write out that VTOC to the disk.

As far as disk labeling is concerned, usually for Solaris, disks have a SUN label and perhaps the one you have there already has that label on it from previous use. If format can't see a label or it doesn't recognise a label it will surely tell you.

Also, format has an expert mode:

Code:
# format -e

which will provide you with more options for things like labeling but also more options that you can screw up if you don't know what you are doing. Try it on your recovery machine first.

Hope that helps. If not, don't hesitate, post your specific questions. There's more than enough fire power on this forum to answer you.

Last edited by hicksd8; 12-13-2017 at 09:14 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ufsrestore -i

Hi there, I have a problem at the moment trying to restore a directory from a Super DLT tape with about 3 weeks worth of backups on it. I need to be able to get the last backup performed on this tape but using ufsrestore -i it only restores the first backup which is no good to me. There is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gerwhelan
4 Replies

2. Solaris

ufsrestore

on sparc solaris 2.8 hosts, HOSTB, after changing to /dir1 need to: connect to tape drive on HostA. change directory to /dir0/dir1 on tape and restore everything under that path to /dir1 directory. could i get help?. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: S26+
1 Replies

3. Solaris

ufsrestore?

I'm trying to restore a server from a backup tape. I've partitioned my drive, and I've run into a problem; After extracting everything from the tape, It seems as if only the directory structure is intact. Here are my steps: 1. booted from cdrom to single user mode boot cdrom -s 2. used... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ECBROWN
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Using ufsdump and ufsrestore

HI Gurus, I have a sunfire V445 server running SAP ECC 6.0 with an Oracle database on Solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9). I recently completed a ufsdump to tape of the following files:- /, /usr, /oracle, /export, /sapr3, I want to restore these files from tape onto a different server of the same... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: charleywasharo
5 Replies

5. Solaris

ufsrestore

Hi , I accidentally deleted crontab entries and I need to restore back urgently ! we use a ufsdump with 0cfu option. I like to know how to restrore / retrieve to different location for crontab file only from the backup. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skully
4 Replies

6. Solaris

What is volume in ufsrestore

Hi Gurus, Can you guys please explain what is volume in ufsrestore? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
2 Replies

7. Solaris

ufsrestore will not boot

hey all, i did a ufsdump/restore from a mirrored system and i'm not able to get the new system to boot off of the dump. system 1 is a v245 mirrored with disk suite. metadb's are in place d3 -m d23 d13 d33 1 d23 1 1 c1t1d0s3 d13 1 1 c1t0d0s3 d33 1 1 c1t2d0s3 d0 -m d20 d10 d30 1 d20 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: em23
3 Replies

8. Solaris

How do you ufsrestore the fast way?

hi, on my sol9 box i create my backup using the below command: /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n /u1 /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n /u2 /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n /u3 /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n /u4 now on the new sol10 box, to restore i use this commands: cd /u1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinoy43v3r
3 Replies

9. Solaris

ufsrestore T5240

Hi Friends we have sun T5240 server, we have taken ufsdump of this server remotely with scsi tapedrive, If we need to do ufsrestore means what we have to do, since T5240 has not having scsi port, any procedure is there? Regards Rajasekar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajasekg
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Ufsrestore on Solaris 9

Good Morning, I'm running through a Solaris 9 ufsrestore process on a Sunblade 2500 that folks here helped me write a year ago. Here: https://www.unix.com/303011447-post11.html Hicksd8 tells me to # rm restoresymtable. I see this file in the other slices as well. Do I remove it from... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
8 Replies
fmthard(1M)															       fmthard(1M)

NAME
fmthard - populate label on hard disks SYNOPSIS
SPARC fmthard -d data | -n volume_name | -s datafile [-i] /dev/rdsk/c? [t?] d?s2 fmthard -d data | -n volume_name | -s datafile [-i] /dev/rdsk/c? [t?] d?s2 The fmthard command updates the VTOC (Volume Table of Contents) on hard disks and, on systems, adds boot information to the Solaris fdisk partition. One or more of the options -s datafile, -d data, or -n volume_name must be used to request modifications to the disk label. To print disk label contents, see prtvtoc(1M). The /dev/rdsk/c?[t?]d?s2 file must be the character special file of the device where the new label is to be installed. On systems, fdisk(1M) must be run on the drive before fmthard. If you are using an system, note that the term ``partition'' in this page refers to slices within the fdisk partition on machines. Do not confuse the partitions created by fmthard with the partitions created by fdisk. The following options are supported: -d data The data argument of this option is a string representing the information for a particular partition in the current VTOC. The string must be of the format part:tag:flag:start:size where part is the partition number, tag is the ID TAG of the partition, flag is the set of permission flags, start is the starting sector number of the partition, and size is the number of sectors in the partition. See the description of the datafile below for more information on these fields. -i This option allows the command to create the desired VTOC table, but prints the information to standard output instead of modifying the VTOC on the disk. -n volume_name This option is used to give the disk a volume_name up to 8 characters long. -s datafile This option is used to populate the VTOC according to a datafile created by the user. If the datafile is "-", fmthard reads from standard input. The datafile format is described below. This option causes all of the disk par- tition timestamp fields to be set to zero. Every VTOC generated by fmthard will also have partition 2, by convention, that corresponds to the whole disk. If the input in datafile does not specify an entry for partition 2, a default partition 2 entry will be created auto- matically in VTOC with the tag V_BACKUP and size equal to the full size of the disk. The datafile contains one specification line for each partition, starting with partition 0. Each line is delimited by a new-line character ( ). If the first character of a line is an asterisk (*), the line is treated as a com- ment. Each line is composed of entries that are position-dependent, separated by "white space" and having the fol- lowing format: partition tag flag starting_sector size_in_sectors where the entries have the following values: partition The partition number. Currently, for Solaris SPARC, a disk can have up to 8 partitions, 0-7. Even though the partition field has 4 bits, only 3 bits are currently used. For , all 4 bits are used to allow slices 0-15. Each Solaris fdisk partition can have up to 16 slices. tag The partition tag: a decimal number. The following are reserved codes: 0 (V_UNASSIGNED), 1 (V_BOOT), 2 (V_ROOT), 3 (V_SWAP), 4 (V_USR), 5 (V_BACKUP), 6 (V_STAND), 7 (V_VAR), and 8 (V_HOME). flag The flag allows a partition to be flagged as unmountable or read only, the masks being: V_UNMNT 0x01, and V_RONLY 0x10. For mountable partitions use 0x00. starting_sector The sector number (decimal) on which the partition starts. size_in_sectors The number (decimal) of sectors occupied by the partition. You can save the output of a prtvtoc command to a file, edit the file, and use it as the datafile argument to the -s option. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ uname(1), format(1M), prtvtoc(1M), attributes(5) Only fdisk(1M), installgrub(1M) Special care should be exercised when overwriting an existing VTOC, as incorrect entries could result in current data being inaccessible. As a precaution, save the old VTOC. For disks under one terabyte, fmthard cannot write a VTOC on an unlabeled disk. Use format(1M) for this purpose. 11 Apr 2005 fmthard(1M)