Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ufsrestore
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ufsrestore Post 303008933 by hicksd8 on Thursday 7th of December 2017 11:43:13 AM
Old 12-07-2017
Not sure that I understand your exact question but let me elaborate.

(Assume we are restoring the main root (bootable) partition.)

Boot into single user from DVD:

Code:
ok> boot cdrom -s

At the # prompt, run format, if necessary label the disk and manipulate the VTOC (Virtual Table of Contents) to the required boundaries (that's partitions in MS talk). Write out the VTOC. Typically, use newfs to create a new ufs filesystem, and mount that new filesystem on /a mountpoint (always available on DVD's).

Change directory to the top of your new filesystem and all you can see is Lost+Found. Other than that, the filesystem is empty.

Now mount your (remote) dump file on /mnt.

Now take your previously created ufsdump file and tip the whole contents onto this new filesystem:

Code:
# ufsrestore rf /mnt/<dumpfile>

Hope that helps.
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ufsrestore -i

Hi there, I have a problem at the moment trying to restore a directory from a Super DLT tape with about 3 weeks worth of backups on it. I need to be able to get the last backup performed on this tape but using ufsrestore -i it only restores the first backup which is no good to me. There is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gerwhelan
4 Replies

2. Solaris

ufsrestore

on sparc solaris 2.8 hosts, HOSTB, after changing to /dir1 need to: connect to tape drive on HostA. change directory to /dir0/dir1 on tape and restore everything under that path to /dir1 directory. could i get help?. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: S26+
1 Replies

3. Solaris

ufsrestore?

I'm trying to restore a server from a backup tape. I've partitioned my drive, and I've run into a problem; After extracting everything from the tape, It seems as if only the directory structure is intact. Here are my steps: 1. booted from cdrom to single user mode boot cdrom -s 2. used... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ECBROWN
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Using ufsdump and ufsrestore

HI Gurus, I have a sunfire V445 server running SAP ECC 6.0 with an Oracle database on Solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9). I recently completed a ufsdump to tape of the following files:- /, /usr, /oracle, /export, /sapr3, I want to restore these files from tape onto a different server of the same... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: charleywasharo
5 Replies

5. Solaris

ufsrestore

Hi , I accidentally deleted crontab entries and I need to restore back urgently ! we use a ufsdump with 0cfu option. I like to know how to restrore / retrieve to different location for crontab file only from the backup. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skully
4 Replies

6. Solaris

What is volume in ufsrestore

Hi Gurus, Can you guys please explain what is volume in ufsrestore? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
2 Replies

7. Solaris

ufsrestore will not boot

hey all, i did a ufsdump/restore from a mirrored system and i'm not able to get the new system to boot off of the dump. system 1 is a v245 mirrored with disk suite. metadb's are in place d3 -m d23 d13 d33 1 d23 1 1 c1t1d0s3 d13 1 1 c1t0d0s3 d33 1 1 c1t2d0s3 d0 -m d20 d10 d30 1 d20 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: em23
3 Replies

8. Solaris

How do you ufsrestore the fast way?

hi, on my sol9 box i create my backup using the below command: /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n /u1 /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n /u2 /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n /u3 /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n /u4 now on the new sol10 box, to restore i use this commands: cd /u1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinoy43v3r
3 Replies

9. Solaris

ufsrestore T5240

Hi Friends we have sun T5240 server, we have taken ufsdump of this server remotely with scsi tapedrive, If we need to do ufsrestore means what we have to do, since T5240 has not having scsi port, any procedure is there? Regards Rajasekar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajasekg
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Ufsrestore on Solaris 9

Good Morning, I'm running through a Solaris 9 ufsrestore process on a Sunblade 2500 that folks here helped me write a year ago. Here: https://www.unix.com/303011447-post11.html Hicksd8 tells me to # rm restoresymtable. I see this file in the other slices as well. Do I remove it from... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
8 Replies
xfs_freeze(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     xfs_freeze(8)

NAME
xfs_freeze - suspend access to an XFS filesystem SYNOPSIS
xfs_freeze -f | -u mount-point DESCRIPTION
xfs_freeze suspends and resumes access to an XFS filesystem (see xfs(5)). xfs_freeze halts new access to the filesystem and creates a stable image on disk. xfs_freeze is intended to be used with volume managers and hardware RAID devices that support the creation of snapshots. The mount-point argument is the pathname of the directory where the filesystem is mounted. The filesystem must be mounted to be frozen (see mount(8)). The -f flag requests the specified XFS filesystem to be frozen from new modifications. When this is selected, all ongoing transactions in the filesystem are allowed to complete, new write system calls are halted, other calls which modify the filesystem are halted, and all dirty data, metadata, and log information are written to disk. Any process attempting to write to the frozen filesystem will block waiting for the filesystem to be unfrozen. Note that even after freezing, the on-disk filesystem can contain information on files that are still in the process of unlinking. These files will not be unlinked until the filesystem is unfrozen or a clean mount of the snapshot is complete. The -u flag is used to un-freeze the filesystem and allow operations to continue. Any filesystem modifications that were blocked by the freeze are unblocked and allowed to complete. One of -f or -u must be supplied to xfs_freeze. NOTES
A copy of a frozen XFS filesystem will usually have the same universally unique identifier (UUID) as the original, and thus may be pre- vented from being mounted. The XFS nouuid mount option can be used to circumvent this issue. In Linux kernel version 2.6.29, the interface which XFS uses to freeze and unfreeze was elevated to the VFS, so that this tool can now be used on many other Linux filesystems. SEE ALSO
xfs(5), lvm(8), mount(8). xfs_freeze(8)