Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mv or cp with a . (dot)?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Mv or cp with a . (dot)? Post 303008388 by scribling on Friday 1st of December 2017 12:21:00 AM
Old 12-01-2017
That's it.

I'll try that newer code. I'm sure it'll work great. Thanks again.

I find it funny that I know so little about simple coding like this and a lot of people think I'm some sort of genius. If only I had the knowledge you guys have - I could be even more frustrated! Knowing what can be done and then having to fight with people and their status quo is a mental battle for me. Do I try to convince them or do I leave them alone? I usually do things my way, keep it to myself, and after a while they hear about it and want to see what I've written and how it works, but almost no one is willingly open at first.

---------- Post updated at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:08 PM ----------

Oddly, what you're talking about with automation I agree with somewhat. The self driving cars will need someone to program them, someone to build them, someone to get them when they breakdown ... I've noticed that here in America everyone wants a fantastic job and that's who they are. In other countries people have a job and no matter what it is it's a job and they're proud to have A job at all. Most Americans, it seems, would rather accept free money from the government than work a job they don't think is worthy of their efforts.

I recently watched an episode of Anthony Bordain's Parts Unknown where there were dozens of people who's job it was to slowly turn a spit while a pig cooked. No automation. These people crouched down and slowly turned that handle, hour after hour. They had jobs!

We need to change our culture from, "free money is better than working", to "If you didn't work for your money you're the scum of the earth." Instead of people being embarrassed about a shitty job they should be embarrassed they don't have a job at all.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

dot files

Hi, everyone. I'm now using rsync command, and please tell me what is the wildcard for below looks like. I want to chose dotfiles, such as .ipod .apple but i don't want to chose . and .. ------------------ .* doesn't work, of course. Thanks, Euler04 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Euler04
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting on dot in perl

I am trying to split input that looks like ,2005-09-12 01:45:00.000000,2005-09-12 01:48:18.000000, I want to split on the dot . What I am using is ($ev_time,$rol)=split(/\./),$inputfile; This does not recognize the dot as what I want to split on. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reggiej
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing dot for comma

I wanted to change 34.66 to 34,66. I tried the command: sed 's/./,/' $NUM Where $NUM is a variable with 34.66 value. The output is ,4.66 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdalmeida
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

variable name with dot(.)

Hi, Is it possible to declare variable with name having dot(.) in it ? something like gs.test='HELLO' Thanks in advance :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gopalss
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to type a dot(.) instead of character?

Hi, I want to connect a Oracle databse through unix shell script. When I will execute a shell script it will ask for user name and password to connect the databsae. At the time of entering the password field value, it willl display the characters like star(*), dot(.) instead of exact... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh08
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Greping numbers with dot in it

Hi, I wanted to create a script what would take two numbers out of two files and add them together, but I got stuck with greping numbers what have a dot in it. So far I have grepped the two lines what include the numbers I need (from both files) to a third file and from that file I try to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mario8eren
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing DOT by using perl

Hi Friends, I have a variable which has a number (e.g. 12.1234). I want to remove "." (dot) from that number i.e. 121234 I want to do this using perl. Can you please guide me Thank you Anushree (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Removing a dot from a file name?

I need a script that will allow me to rename all of my files in subdir /FilesIn as follows: From kumc_835_111200.RMT.dat to kumc_835_111200RMT.dat kumc_835_111200.KMR.dat to kumc_835_111200KMR.dat .................etc How do I do that whithout doing a sed ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List the file with a dot

I am on hp-ux and not able to catch the file with dot using a wild card. $ touch .test $ ls -l .test -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba 0 Mar 21 05:20 .test $ ls -l *test *test not found $ ls -la *test *test not found Why i am not able to list the file startign with .... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bang_dba
7 Replies
faxrm(1)                                                       mgetty+sendfax manual                                                      faxrm(1)

NAME
faxrm - remove fax jobs queued by faxspool(1) SYNOPSIS
faxrm [-i] [job-ids...] DESCRIPTION
Remove job(s) from the fax queue set up by faxspool(1). faxrm removes queued fax jobs. Call with a list of job-IDs to remove specific jobs. Call with no job IDs to be asked interactively about all jobs you own (if run by root, all jobs). For job-id, use the strings returned by faxq(1) (e.g. F000015), without the ``/JOB'' exten- tion. If you are not the owner of the fax job (as per the 'user xyz' statement inside the JOB file), you are not allowed to remove the fax job. Only root is permitted to remove another user's faxes. If the job is locked (most likely because sendfax(8) is active sending it), faxrm doesn't attempt to remove it. Instead, it prints a warn- ing message on stderr and goes on to the next job. EXAMPLES
faxrm F000005 F000033 OPTIONS
-i (interactive mode) Tells faxrm to ask for confirmation before removing the job (UNIMPLEMENTED). BUGS
faxrm doesn't return diagnostic exit codes yet. SEE ALSO
faxrunq(1), faxrunq(8), faxspool(1), faxq(1), faxqueue(5) AUTHOR
faxrm is Copyright (C) 1993-2002 by Gert Doering, <gert@greenie.muc.de>. greenie 23 Nov 02 faxrm(1)