Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to copy script output to a variable using same script? Post 303008311 by RudiC on Thursday 30th of November 2017 06:06:38 AM
Old 11-30-2017
It would help if the target were known - what do you want to achieve? Your code with the while loop and the grep gives wide room for interpretation and guesses - it doesn't realy make sense to me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls command output to variable in script

Hi, I wrote a script to get the oldest file from a directory path (which is passed as a parameter to the script) ######################################################### XMLFILE_PATH={$1} cd $XMLFILE_PATH JPM_FILENAME = `(ls -tr User* | head -1)` #echo $JPM_FILENAME ###### END... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsrookie
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing lines of output into a script variable

I'm sure this is a simple thing but I can't figure it out. In a script that I'm writing, I'd like to be able to store each line of output from "ls -l" into a variable. Ultimately I'd like to end up with something like: for a in `ls -l` do something with $a doneBut that's reading each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ewoods
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to assign the output of the interective script to the variable

Hi, I work in ksh88. I have an interective script which prompts the user for the input and returns numeric value depending on the input provided. I need to call this script inside another script and then assign the resulting output the the variable. The call like that A=`my script` obviously... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse file and copy value to variable in sh script.

Hi, I need to parse a simple text file like below and store the word that starts with BR* to a variable say $BRno. I need to do this in sh script. NOTE: the length of the numbers following BR is not constant (eg: it could be BR1234 or BR22233). And there is only 1 BRxxxxx in a file at a given... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: script2010
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making script show command (e.g. copy) being executed and variable substitution?

When script is running you only see when some of the commands are not successfull. Is there a way to see which command are executed and to show the substitution of variables as every line is executed ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr0124
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Search for a particular String and copy the timestamp to a variable

Hi, We Perfrom Loads to the database through a Perl script which generates a statistics file. I need to read the statistics. the Statistics file looks something like below: Process Beginning - 08-26-2010-23.41.47 DB2 CONNECTION SUCCESSFUL! Ready to process and load file: FILENAME # of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveenkulkarni
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing output of procedure in variable in shell script

Hi guys I am calling one DB2 stored proc through unix. It is giving me below output. I want to capture the value 150 in one UNIX variable in shell script. Please let me know how I can achieve this. Thanks in advance Value of output parameters -------------------------- Parameter Name :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnimavat
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of matlab as a variable for shell script

I'm running a matlab code within a shell script. This is how I do it, matlab -nodesktop -nosplash -nojvm -r "my_program;quit" This works fine. My matlab code prints out a single number, say "ans = 10" for example. I want to assign this to a variable in the shell script. I tried doing this... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting a variable and output to use later on in script

Hi Guys! I'm trying to get this script going but running into a little issue. not sure what is going on. basicly how i'm writing this script is to ask you what is the password you want to be encrypted, then ask you what the user id is, takes that info run's the encryption script with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpundit
2 Replies

10. AIX

Oracle output to an array variable in script

Hi- I am returning output of an query into a array variable in my shell script. set -A DATE_RANGE `sqlplus -s **/**@** << EOF set termout off set echo off set serveroutput off set pagesize 0 set linesize 500 set heading off set verify off set feedback off select... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vputtas@gmail.c
1 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-k] [-q] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command ... is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD