Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to copy script output to a variable using same script? Post 303008290 by SysAdminRialto on Wednesday 29th of November 2017 11:52:02 PM
Old 11-30-2017
The script is actually named read7.sh. It's not named script. I just wanted to emphasize that I'm running a script to capture it's output. Thanks for the valuable information.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls command output to variable in script

Hi, I wrote a script to get the oldest file from a directory path (which is passed as a parameter to the script) ######################################################### XMLFILE_PATH={$1} cd $XMLFILE_PATH JPM_FILENAME = `(ls -tr User* | head -1)` #echo $JPM_FILENAME ###### END... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsrookie
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing lines of output into a script variable

I'm sure this is a simple thing but I can't figure it out. In a script that I'm writing, I'd like to be able to store each line of output from "ls -l" into a variable. Ultimately I'd like to end up with something like: for a in `ls -l` do something with $a doneBut that's reading each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ewoods
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to assign the output of the interective script to the variable

Hi, I work in ksh88. I have an interective script which prompts the user for the input and returns numeric value depending on the input provided. I need to call this script inside another script and then assign the resulting output the the variable. The call like that A=`my script` obviously... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse file and copy value to variable in sh script.

Hi, I need to parse a simple text file like below and store the word that starts with BR* to a variable say $BRno. I need to do this in sh script. NOTE: the length of the numbers following BR is not constant (eg: it could be BR1234 or BR22233). And there is only 1 BRxxxxx in a file at a given... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: script2010
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making script show command (e.g. copy) being executed and variable substitution?

When script is running you only see when some of the commands are not successfull. Is there a way to see which command are executed and to show the substitution of variables as every line is executed ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr0124
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Search for a particular String and copy the timestamp to a variable

Hi, We Perfrom Loads to the database through a Perl script which generates a statistics file. I need to read the statistics. the Statistics file looks something like below: Process Beginning - 08-26-2010-23.41.47 DB2 CONNECTION SUCCESSFUL! Ready to process and load file: FILENAME # of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveenkulkarni
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing output of procedure in variable in shell script

Hi guys I am calling one DB2 stored proc through unix. It is giving me below output. I want to capture the value 150 in one UNIX variable in shell script. Please let me know how I can achieve this. Thanks in advance Value of output parameters -------------------------- Parameter Name :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnimavat
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of matlab as a variable for shell script

I'm running a matlab code within a shell script. This is how I do it, matlab -nodesktop -nosplash -nojvm -r "my_program;quit" This works fine. My matlab code prints out a single number, say "ans = 10" for example. I want to assign this to a variable in the shell script. I tried doing this... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting a variable and output to use later on in script

Hi Guys! I'm trying to get this script going but running into a little issue. not sure what is going on. basicly how i'm writing this script is to ask you what is the password you want to be encrypted, then ask you what the user id is, takes that info run's the encryption script with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpundit
2 Replies

10. AIX

Oracle output to an array variable in script

Hi- I am returning output of an query into a array variable in my shell script. set -A DATE_RANGE `sqlplus -s **/**@** << EOF set termout off set echo off set serveroutput off set pagesize 0 set linesize 500 set heading off set verify off set feedback off select... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vputtas@gmail.c
1 Replies
Tcl_AllowExceptions(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures					    Tcl_AllowExceptions(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_AllowExceptions - allow all exceptions in next script evaluation SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_AllowExceptions(interp) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp (in) Interpreter in which script will be evaluated. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
If a script is evaluated at top-level (i.e. no other scripts are pending evaluation when the script is invoked), and if the script termi- nates with a completion code other than TCL_OK, TCL_ERROR or TCL_RETURN, then Tcl normally converts this into a TCL_ERROR return with an appropriate message. The particular script evaluation procedures of Tcl that act in the manner are Tcl_EvalObjEx, Tcl_EvalObjv, Tcl_Eval, Tcl_EvalEx, Tcl_GlobalEval, Tcl_GlobalEvalObj, Tcl_VarEval and Tcl_VarEvalVA. However, if Tcl_AllowExceptions is invoked immediately before calling one of those a procedures, then arbitrary completion codes are per- mitted from the script, and they are returned without modification. This is useful in cases where the caller can deal with exceptions such as TCL_BREAK or TCL_CONTINUE in a meaningful way. KEYWORDS
continue, break, exception, interpreter Tcl 7.4 Tcl_AllowExceptions(3)