Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Security hardening for standard HP-UX users Post 303008194 by anaigini45 on Tuesday 28th of November 2017 11:46:39 AM
Old 11-28-2017
Security hardening for standard HP-UX users

Hi,

The standard accounts that are created during the HP-UX installation, eg, bin,adm,daemon,uucp,lp,hpdb and nobody have their own shell.

Will there be any impact if we change these user's shell to /bin/false?

Like processes get interrupted, files cannot be generated, etc.

Regards

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Security Issue with Standard Input?

Hi Gang, Running a script in AIX 5.3. Users wanted me to add a "confirm you want to run script, enter 'y' or 'n'" kind of thing... here is what I came up with: #!/bin/sh myfile=`basename "$1"` dateNow=`date "+%m.%d.%Y.%H.%M.%S"` # Get current date mydatedfile=$myfile.$dateNow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yall
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Hardening Solaris

What do we need to do to harden a freshly installed solaris OS? like disable telnet, no ftp for root etc...What all services you need to stop? How to check what ports are open? etc etc....please provide all tips that come to your mind...thanks:) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcmrulzz
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

standard error to standard out question

Hi there how can i get the result of a command to not give me its error. For example, on certain systems the 'zfs' command below is not available, but this is fine becaues I am testing against $? so i dont want to see the message " command not found" Ive tried outputting to /dev/null 2>&1 to no... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Standard output and standard error into spreadsheet

Hey, I'm completely new at this and I was wondering if there is a way that I would be able to redirect the log files in a directories standard output and standard error into and excel spreadsheet in anyway? Please remember don't use too advanced of terminology as I just started using shell... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: killaram
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pop the users one by one in sudo cat /etc/security/user

Hi Everyone, When I runthe query in ssh shell sudo cat /etc/security/user , I see half of the users cut down from the display screen. what I want to do is using the somthing like "pop" that when I hit the enter key every time the screen should move to the next user? does some one has any idea how... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: starter2011
4 Replies
yppasswdd(4)							   File Formats 						      yppasswdd(4)

NAME
yppasswdd - configuration file for rpc.yppasswdd (NIS password daemon) SYNOPSIS
/etc/default/yppasswdd DESCRIPTION
The yppasswdd file contains a parameter that modifies the behavior of the rpc.yppasswdd(1M) daemon. The yppasswdd file contains a single parameter: #check_restricted_shell_name=1 By default in the current release, this line in yppasswdd is commented out. If you uncomment the line, when a user attempts to change his default shell using `passwd -r nis -e` (see passwd(1)), the rpc.yppasswdd daemon checks whether the name of the user's current shell begins with an 'r'. rpc.yppasswdd considers any shell whose name begins with an 'r' (for example, rcsh) to be a restricted shell. If a user's shell does begin with 'r', his attempt to change from the default shell will fail. If the line in the yppasswdd file is commented out (the default), the rpc.yppasswdd daemon does not perform the restricted shell check. The yppasswdd file is editable only by root or a member of the sys group. FILES
/etc/default/yppasswdd configuration file for rpc.yppasswdd daemon SEE ALSO
rpc.yppasswdd(1M) SunOS 5.11 8 Nov 2001 yppasswdd(4)