Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Shell Script to Compare Files and Email the differences Post 303008157 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 28th of November 2017 04:48:04 AM
Old 11-28-2017
If you are looking for differences between two sorted list files, would you be better with grep -vf file1 file2 and then the reverse, grep -vf file2 file1 ?

I am guessing at your input because of the comments. It might save you a headache, or it might be completely wrong.

Do you have some sample input and expected output?

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare 2 files for a single column and output differences

Hi, I have a column in 2 different files which i want to compare, and output the results to a different file. The columns are in different positions in those 2 files. File 1 the column is in position 10-15 File 2 the column is in position 15-20 Please advise Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samit_9999
1 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to compare two files using shell script

hi experts please help me to compare two files which are in different directory file1<file will be master file> (/home/rev/mas.txt} ex x1 x2 file2 <will be in different folder> (/home/rev/per/.....) ex x3 x4 the filesinside per folder i need to compare with master file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: revenna
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two text files and Only show the differences

Hi experts, I'mvery new to shell scripting and learning it now currently i am having a problem which may look easy to u :) i have two files File 1: Start :Thu Nov 19 10:33:09 2009 ABCDGFSDJ.txt APDemoNew.ppt APDemoOutline.doc ARDemoNew.ppt ARDemoOutline.doc File 2: Start... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: CelvinSaran
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to compare two files

I have two files; file A and file B. I need all the entries of file A to be compared with file B line by line. If the entry exists on file B, then save those on file C; if no then save it on file D Note :- all the columns of the lines of file A need to be compared, except the last two columns... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajiwww
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files using shell script

Hi i want to compare two files and i need the o/p of only difference here the files file1 achilles aedxbepo aedxbwdm01 aedxbwdm02 albedo amarice ambrister anakin anton argon artephius asgard avatar aymara (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: venikathir
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to compare the two files and list out differences between the two

Hi, I need to compare the two files and list out difference between the two. Please assist. Best regards, Vishal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two big files for differences using Linux

Hello everybody Looking for help in comparing two files in Linux(files are big 800MB each). Example:- File1 has below data $ cat file1 5,6,3 2.1.4 1,1,1 8,9,1 File2 has below data $ cat file2 5,6,3 8,9,8 1,2,1 2,1,4 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shanul karim
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare two big files for differences using Linux

Hello everybody Looking for help in comparing two files in Linux(files are big 800MB each). Example:- File1 has below data $ cat file1 5,6,3 2.1.4 1,1,1 8,9,1 File2 has below data $ cat file2 5,6,3 8,9,8 1,2,1 2,1,4 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanul karim
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare directories and copy differences (files) in a another directory

Hey im working on script that can compare 2 directory and check difference, then copy difference files in third diretory. here is the story: in folder one we have 12 subfolder and in each of them near 500 images hosted. 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 in folder 2 we have same subfolder... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux/Shell script - How to compare 2 arrays based on patterns and get the differences

I have FILE 1 (This file has all master columns/headers) A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|STATUS FILE 2 A|C|F|I|OFF_STATUS 3|4|5|4|Y 6|7|8|5|Y Below command give me all headers of FILE 2 into array2.txt file paste <(head -1 FILE2.txt | tr '|' '\n')>array2.txt So I would like to compare... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmadhams
2 Replies
sdiff(1)						      General Commands Manual							  sdiff(1)

NAME
sdiff - side-by-side difference program SYNOPSIS
[options ...] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
uses the output of diff(1) with the option, which ignores trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) and treats other strings of blanks as equal, to produce a side-by-side listing of two files, indicating those lines that are different. Each line of the two files is printed with a blank gutter between them if the lines are identical, a in the gutter if the line only exists in file1, a in the gutter if the line only exists in file2, and a for lines that are different. For example: abc | xyz abc abc bca < cba < dcb dcb > cde Options recognizes the following options: Use the next argument, n, as the width of the output line. The maximum value of n is 2048 (LINE_MAX). The default line length is 130 charac- ters. Only print on the left side when lines are identical. Do not print identical lines. Use the next argument, output, as the name of a third file that is created as a user-controlled merging of file1 and file2. Identical lines of file1 and file2 are copied to output. Sets of differences, as produced by diff(1), are printed; where a set of differ- ences share a common gutter character. After printing each set of differences, prompts the user with a and waits for one of the following user-typed commands: append the left column to the output file append the right column to the output file turn on silent mode; do not print identical lines turn off silent mode call the editor with the left column call the editor with the right column call the editor with the concatenation of left and right call the editor with a zero length file exit from the program On exit from the editor, the resulting file is concatenated on the end of the output file. EXAMPLES
Print a side-by-side diff of two versions of a file on a printer capable of printing 132 columns: Retrieve the most recently checked in version of a file from RCS and compare it with the version currently checked out: SEE ALSO
diff(1), ed(1). sdiff(1)