Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Optimize a combination of commands Post 303007991 by RudiC on Friday 24th of November 2017 01:09:47 PM
Old 11-24-2017
Not sure that pipe makes any sense at all. wc in a pipe prints three fields (four if operating on file parameters), so the following awk doesn't have a $5 to print.
WHAT exactly do you want to achieve?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combination Of commands

Hello All, I just wanted to know what are the different ways of using commands in combination. The most common one which i know is using pipes. Also grouping is also done like ( ls; date) where output of both the commands is displayed. Are there any other ways of combining various... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

optimize the script

Hi, I have this following script below. Its searching a log file for 2 string and if found then write the strings to success.txt and If not found write strings to failed.txt . if one found and not other...then write found to success.txt and not found to failed.txt. I want to optimize this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitrajvarma
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

combination of two commands

I want to show a output like this Lee Ballancore PID TTY TIME CMD 31799 pts/3 00:00:00 vim 31866 pts/3 00:00:00 vim 2495 pts/7 00:00:00 vim 8368 pts/0 00:00:00 vim 9544 pts/2 00:00:00 ps Alistairr Rutherford PID TTY TIME CMD 8368 pts/0 00:00:00 vim 9544 pts/2 00:00:00 ps ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehaquick
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

can we optimize this command

can we optimize this command ? sed 's#AAAA##g' /study/i.txt | sed '1,2d' | tr -d '\n\' > /study/i1.txt; as here i am using two files ...its overhead..can we optimise to use only 1 file sed 's#AAAA##g' /study/i.txt | sed '1,2d' | tr -d '\n\' > /study/i.txt; keeping them same but it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: crackthehit007
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advice using cut & echo combination commands

Hi, I am cutting data from a fixed length test file and then writing out a new record using the echo command, the problem I have is how to stop multiple spaces from being written to the output file as a single space. Example: cat filea | while read line do field1=`echo $line | cut -c1-2` ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dc18
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimize the nested IF

Hi, I have to assign a value for a varaiable based on a Input. I have written the below code: if then nf=65 elif then nf=46 elif then nf=164 elif then nf=545 elif then nf=56 elif then (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking to optimize code

Hi guys, I feel a bit comfortable now doing bash scripting but I am worried that the way I do it is not optimized and I can do much better as to how I code. e.g. I have a whole line in a file from which I want to extract some values. Right now what I am doing is : STATE=`cat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Optimize the Script Further

Hi All, I have written a new script to check for DB space and size of dump log file before it can be imported into a Oracle DB. I'm relatively new to shell scripting. Please help me optimize this script further. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: narayanv
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract delta records using with "comm" and "sort" commands combination

Hi All, I have 2 pipe delimited files viz., file_old and file_new. I'm trying to compare these 2 files, and extract all the different rows between them into a new_file. comm -3 < sort file_old < sort file_new > new_file I am getting the below error: -ksh: sort: cannot open But if I do... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: njny
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or a combination of commands to read and calculate nth lines from pattern

Two numerical lines, found by either header line, need to be added and the total placed in a new-header section. Also the total should should be rounded or cut to a two decimal anynumber.XX format with the AB string added on the end. For example: The numerical lines from headers 2 and 3 are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jessandr
3 Replies
pipe(2) 							   System Calls 							   pipe(2)

NAME
pipe - create an interprocess channel SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int pipe(int fildes[2]); DESCRIPTION
The pipe() function creates an I/O mechanism called a pipe and returns two file descriptors, fildes[0] and fildes[1]. The files associated with fildes[0] and fildes[1] are streams and are both opened for reading and writing. The O_NDELAY, O_NONBLOCK, and FD_CLOEXEC flags are cleared on both file descriptors. The fcntl(2) function can be used to set these flags. A read from fildes[0] accesses the data written to fildes[1] on a first-in-first-out (FIFO) basis and a read from fildes[1] accesses the data written to fildes[0] also on a FIFO basis. Upon successful completion pipe() marks for update the st_atime, st_ctime, and st_mtime fields of the pipe. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, 0 is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The pipe() function will fail if: EMFILE More than {OPEN_MAX} file descriptors are already in use by this process. ENFILE The number of simultaneously open files in the system would exceed a system-imposed limit. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), fcntl(2), fstat(2), getmsg(2), poll(2), putmsg(2), read(2), write(2), attributes(5), standards(5), streamio(7I) NOTES
Since a pipe is bi-directional, there are two separate flows of data. Therefore, the size (st_size) returned by a call to fstat(2) with argument fildes[0] or fildes[1] is the number of bytes available for reading from fildes[0] or fildes[1] respectively. Previously, the size (st_size) returned by a call to fstat() with argument fildes[1] (the write-end) was the number of bytes available for reading from fildes[0] (the read-end). SunOS 5.10 23 Apr 2002 pipe(2)