Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers What is the meaning the $ special character? Post 303006519 by dakelly on Friday 3rd of November 2017 05:14:19 AM
Old 11-03-2017
Bodisha,

The best way I like to remember it is that it is a marker to show a variable.

for instance this is my PS1
Code:
HOST=`hostname`
PS1='$LOGNAME@$HOST: $PWD>

PS1 = (the following)
$LOGNAME is the variable LOGNAME that holds my login name
$HOST is the variable that holds the hostname of the server
$PWD is the variable that holds the current (print) working directory
so if I want to echo this PS1 out to see what it looks like I would use:
Code:
dk@server: /home/dk> echo $PS1
$LOGNAME@$HOST: $PWD>
dk@server: /home/dk>

hope this helps

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

special character ?

hey there im a bit stuck on executing commands that include the special character '?'. can someone recommend a way on how i would be able to execute it?? i thought the glob function could be useful (still mite be) but upon entering the command 'ls pars?' it listed all the files in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mile1982
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Special meaning characters in dir names

Hello, I've had a daemon go a little bit mental and create directories using somments from a config file. The end result is I've ended up with directories with names such as #, 5625), (5725 etc etc etc... However, when I try and delete them I get syntax errors, ( not expected, rmdir #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JWilliams
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

special character

Hi, I am trying to unload file from a database. Which contains few lines with the character below. Rest of the data was unloaded appropriately. a) What does this below character means? b) How can i remove it, I already have sed '/^$/d' c) Will this effect the file by any means... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special character in Diff

Hi I am comparing 2 files (using diff command) with numerical data in them. In the output file I want only the differences which are in file2 but not in file1. Although I am getting the diffences i am also getting special characters in the output file which i do not want. Can somebody help me For... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashu_r2001
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special character \

Hi, In the shell script, i need to remove the special charater "\" with "\\". For example, i need to replace "D:\FXT\ABC.TXT" with "D:\\FXT\\ABC.TXT". However, when trying to do something like , i get the below error :- -->echo "D:\FXT\ABC.TXT" | sed -e 's#\#\\#g' sed: 0602-404 Function... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_arora
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleteing one character after an special character

I have below line in a unix file, I want to delete one character after "Â". 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap Â~V Hybrids The result should be : 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap  Hybrids i dont want to use "~V" anywhere in the sed command or any other command, just remove... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohsin.quazi
1 Replies

7. Solaris

What is the meaning of the character x in /etc/shadow file?

what is the meaning of the character x in /etc/shadow file which is lying in the encrypted password column.. i need this urgently (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DJ2176
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi special character

When editing a file, vi displays a special character as ^L. Can you tell me the escaped character to be used in awk? And can that escaped character be used in a regexp in both sed and awk? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmesserly
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep -F for special character

a='CASH$$A' /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F "$a" *.txt It is not able to grep CASH$$A string as it contains special character $$. I also tried with /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F '$a' *.txt but still not working. I have to assign CASH$$A to a variable and serach that variable..i dont want to search the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Special character $$

Hi, on ksh What does the following do? grep -v "toolbox" $home_oracle/.profile >$home_oracle/.profile.$$ Thanks. Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies
ENVIRON(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						ENVIRON(7)

NAME
environ - user environment SYNOPSIS
extern char *const *environ; DESCRIPTION
An array of strings called the `environment' is made available by execve(2) when a process begins. By convention these strings have the form `name=value'. The following names are used by various commands: PATH The sequence of directory prefixes that sh, time, nice(1), etc., apply in searching for a file known by an incomplete path name. The prefixes are separated by `:'. Login shells set PATH=:/bin:/usr/bin. Note that the empty space between the `=' and the `:' indicates the current directory. Security aware people move the extra `:' to the end of their path or omit it. HOME A user's login directory, set by login(1) from the password file passwd(5). TERM The kind of terminal for which output is to be prepared. This information is used by programs that wish to exploit special termi- nal capabilities, a screen oriented text editor for instance. The terminal type is set by login(1) from the tty database ttytab(5). SHELL The file name of the users login shell, set by login(1) from the password file passwd(5). TERMCAP The string describing the terminal in TERM, or the name of the termcap file, see termcap(5), termcap(3). EXINIT A startup list of commands read by elvis(1). USER The login name of the user, set by login(1) from the password file passwd(5). LOGNAME Set to the same value as USER. BSD derived systems have USER, System V has LOGNAME, so modern systems have both to avoid problems. Further names may be placed in the environment by the export command and `name=value' arguments in sh(1). Arguments may also be placed in their environment by programs if they use putenv(3). Or in the environment of another program by building a new environment for one of the exec functions that accepts an environment list, like execle(2) or execve(2). It is unwise to conflict with certain sh(1) variables that are frequently set and/or exported by `.profile' files: MAIL, PS1, PS2, IFS. SEE ALSO
elvis(1), login(1), sh(1), execl(2), execve(2), system(3), termcap(3), termcap(5), ttytab(5). 4.2 Berkeley Distribution May 20, 1985 ENVIRON(7)