Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk script to detect specific string in a log file and count it Post 303006216 by ktisbest on Sunday 29th of October 2017 02:25:34 PM
Old 10-29-2017
First of all thank you for looking into this. Apologies if I was not clear in my post and I will try to follow the forum rules.

Here is the simplified version of the requirements
  1. In real time, a script should monitor appname.log file (no need to monitor .log.1 or .log.2 or .log.3 or .log.4)
  2. On a new line in log file which matches this RESTful/BR4/Dispatchers/Drop Down Dispatch Process.process/Log add the appname date (any format) and count in a new a file. (appnamestats.txt)
  3. For next entry, for same day, we already have appname and date in appnamestats.txt, we just need to increment the count. The same appnamestats.txt file can be used for next day and so.

There is a typo about the date, it should be for current year 2017 and not 2018

The date can be in any format. For example 2017 Oct 20

There always be complete timestamp like below in the lines of interest
2017 Oct 20 13:44:03:359 GMT -0600

btw, i run the provided solution and it only return 16. There are 288 entries for that string in the log file and it should return 288

Last edited by ktisbest; 10-29-2017 at 08:02 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with scritp to count an specific word into a log

Hello my friends, I need to count how many words are into a log file, I'm using: cat logfile | grep 'word' | wc -l Cuz the 'word' appears once per line. But my logfile grow faster and at the end ofthe day is really big, so how i can count the 'word' only from (by example) line 4000 of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lestat_ecuador
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to count percentage from log file

Hi, I have a log like this : actually i want to get the log like this : where % can get from : 100 * pmTotNoRrcConnectReqSucc / pmTotNoRrcConnectReq Thanks in advance.. :) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: justbow
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script to detect webpages from file

Hi guys I'm very new to unix and I have to create an awk script that detects webpage addresses from a file/webpage and outputs how many times each webpage was detected.e.g. if my file was: (Note: The symbol " was added to stop them being created into links) "www.google.com"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ROFL
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script to detect webpages from file

Hi guys I'm very new to unix and I have to create an awk script that detects webpage addresses from a file/webpage and outputs how many times each webpage was detected.e.g. if my file was: www.google.com www.facebook.com www.google.com the output should be: www.google.com x2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROFL
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Detect Specific Pattern and Print the Specific String after It?

I'm still beginner and maybe someone can help me. I have this input: the great warrior a, b, c and what i want to know is, with awk, how can i detect the string with 'warrior' string on it and print the a, b, and c seperately, become like this : Warrior Type a b c Im still very... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radynaraya
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to count characters in file 1 in file 2

I need a scripting AWK to compare 2 files. file 1 and 2 are list of keywords 1 is a b c d 2 is aa aaa b bb ccc d I want the AWK script to give us the number of times every keyword in file 1 occurs in file 2. output should be a 2 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anhtt
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a specific String in a log file for a specific date range

Hi, I have log file which rolls out every second which is as this. HttpGenRequest - -<!--OXi dbPublish--> <created="2014-03-24 23:45:37" lastMsgId="" requestTime="0.0333"> <response request="getOutcomeDetails" code="114" message="Request found no matching data" debug="" provider="undefined"/>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikprakash
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to output match and mismatch with count using specific fields

In the below awk I am trying output to one file those lines that match between $2,$3,$4 of file1 and file2 with the count in (). I am also trying to output those lines that are missing between $2,$3,$4 of file1 and file2 with the count of in () each. Both input files are tab-delimited, but the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to change specific string to new value if found in text file

I am trying to use awk to change a specific string in a field, if it is found, to another value. In the tab-delimited file the text in bold in $3 contains the string 23, which is always right before a ., if it is present. I am trying to change that string to X, keeping the formatting and the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
ds.log(4)							   File Formats 							 ds.log(4)

NAME
ds.log - Availability Suite data services log file DESCRIPTION
The /var/adm/ds.log file contains the Availability Suite data services command log. The administration commands log activities to the file in the format: date time product: message Note that when the size of the log file exceeds 10 Mbytes, ds.log is renamed /var/adm/ds.log.bak and a new /var/adm/ds.log file is cre- ated. The ds.log fields are: date The date format is mmm nn, where mmm is the local three-character abbreviation for the month and nn is the day of the month on which the event occurred. time The time of the event, in hh:mm:ss format. product A product code that identifies which component of the data services produced the event. The code is separated from the message that follows by a colon (:) and a space. message A message that can extend over more than one line describing the event that occurred. The second or following lines are not pre- fixed by the date, time, and product code strings. EXAMPLES
The example below shows sample ds.log file content: Jan 25 05:26:17 ii: iiboot suspend cluster tag <none> Jan 25 05:32:02 ii: iiboot resume cluster tag <none> Jan 25 05:32:04 sv: svboot: resume /dev/vx/rdsk/bigmaster Jan 25 05:32:04 sv: svboot: resume /dev/vx/rdsk/bigshadow Jan 25 05:32:04 sv: svboot: resume /dev/vx/rdsk/mstvxfs Jan 25 05:32:04 sv: svboot: resume /dev/vx/rdsk/master01 ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ |Architecture | x86 | +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ |Availability | SUNWscmu | +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ |Interface Stability | Committed | +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
iiadm(1M), sndradm(1M), svadm(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 08 Jun 2007 ds.log(4)