Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Kill multiple processes ran by root Post 303005632 by Corona688 on Friday 20th of October 2017 11:32:16 AM
Old 10-20-2017
Don't use 'kill -9' as anything but an absolute last resort.

Run sudo kill to run kill as sudo.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C program to kill root processes

Hello, First let me start by saying I have searched the forum and read all the SUID stuff but it is not in the neighborhood I am looking for. Here is the problem. We want to grant a non super-user permission to kill root processes but only if the process matches certain criteria. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TioTony
8 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Ran out of space on /dev/root partition

hi, I have a SCO unix server which has a 36gb hard drive, but the IT company who supplied it assigned 1gb to /dev/root, 15mb to /dev/boot and 33gb to /dev/u. The /dev/root partition is now full, is there a way I can use the 33gb assigned to /dev/u without loosing any data, preferably... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Martyn
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill all processes

i have a very short file that has in it a line for a find command. now, when i run this script and I kill the script later, using the ps -ef | grep scriptname. i noticed kill -9 kills the script itself but does not kill the internal find command that it gave birth to. say theres a file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kill several processes at a time

Hello, ps -C a* returns the list of the process I need to kill. but ps -C a* -o pid | kill does not work and I can't get the syntax right. Thanks for any help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JCR
4 Replies

5. Solaris

kill processes

how to kill the processes of aperticular user? because i have nearly 25000 process are there for perticular user. i need to kill. Please provide the information? Regards, Rajesh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmrajesh21
3 Replies

6. Solaris

kill the processes seen under ptree

Hi, How to kill the processes running under ptree ? I am noticing lot of processes running under ptree with ssh ? I tried to kill with -9 option which is not working ? Thanks, Radhika. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhirk
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill processes

for i in 'ps -f | grep textedit' do kill $i done I wrote this but it wont work. I am trying to find processes and kill them. Any help would be welcome. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hawaiifiver
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill all user processes

Hi there, i've been searching all over and i thought i had understood the way i should go to kill all the processes related to a user. But i'm getting more confused then i was. By lunch time i have to make a database backup, and for that all the users shoul logout. The problem is that many users... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vascobrito
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill multiple processes by name

Want to kill multiple processes by name. for the example below, I want to kill all 'proxy-stagerd_copy' processes. I tried this but didn't work: >> ps -ef|grep proxy_copy root 991 986 0 14:45:34 ? 0:04 proxy-stagerd root 1003 991 0 14:45:49 ? 0:01... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalinawinemxr
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find the no of processes that ran 2 hours before or earlier

Is there a way to find out the total no of processes that were running ? - 2 or 3 hours before - list those no of processes (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jansat
3 Replies
KILL(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   KILL(1)

NAME
kill - terminate a process with extreme prejudice SYNOPSIS
kill [ -sig ] processid ... kill -l DESCRIPTION
Kill sends the TERM (terminate, 15) signal to the specified processes. If a signal name or number preceded by `-' is given as first argu- ment, that signal is sent instead of terminate (see sigvec(2)). The signal names are listed by `kill -l', and are as given in /usr/include/signal.h, stripped of the common SIG prefix. The terminate signal will kill processes that do not catch the signal; `kill -9 ...' is a sure kill, as the KILL (9) signal cannot be caught. By convention, if process number 0 is specified, all members in the process group (i.e. processes resulting from the current login) are signaled (but beware: this works only if you use sh(1); not if you use csh(1).) Negative process numbers also have special meanings; see kill(2) for details. The killed processes must belong to the current user unless he is the super-user. The process number of an asynchronous process started with `&' is reported by the shell. Process numbers can also be found by using ps(1). Kill is a built-in to csh(1); it allows job specifiers of the form ``%...'' as arguments so process id's are not as often used as kill arguments. See csh(1) for details. SEE ALSO
csh(1), ps(1), kill(2), sigvec(2) BUGS
A replacement for ``kill 0'' for csh(1) users should be provided. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 20, 1986 KILL(1)