Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Extract data before period in filename Post 303005607 by Home on Friday 20th of October 2017 04:22:26 AM
Old 10-20-2017
Extract data before period in filename

Hi,
I have some files with these patterns:

Code:
WI_SCOPE_DATA_CHANGE_2017-09-12_15-30-40.txt
WI_SCOPE_BACK_COMPLETE_QUEUE_2017-09-12_15-31-40.txt
WI_SCOPE_CURRENT_CHECK_QUEUE_2017-09-12_15-32-40.txt
WI_SCOPE_DAILY_PARTY_2017-09-12_15-33-40.txt

I want to extract date from filename and save it in a variable. How can I extract date that is in position 2 of the filename before period?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract only filename

Hi, I want to display only the file names of the ls command with a delimiter of comma. For example:- ls /etc/dir/N* gives the following output /etc/dir/N1 /etc/dir/N2 /etc/dir/N3 I want the output as N1,N2,N3,-->Here i need the final comma also. Also, here /etc/dir is being... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data based on match against one column data from a long list data

My input file: data_5 Ali 422 2.00E-45 102/253 140/253 24 data_3 Abu 202 60.00E-45 12/23 140/23 28 data_1 Ahmad 256 7.00E-45 120/235 140/235 22 data_4 Aman 365 8.00E-45 15/65 140/65 20 data_10 Jones 869 9.00E-45 65/253 140/253 18... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract timestamp from the filename?

Hi., My file name is of the format: name_abc_20100531_142528.txt where., my timestamp is of the format: yyyymmdd_hhmmss How to extract the date strring and time string into seperate variables in the shell script, after reading the file as the input? I want to get the variables... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: av_vinay
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim the sentence containing colon and period to extract a word in between

Hello All , i am a newbie in korn shell scripting trying to trim a sentence that is parsed into a variable . The format of the sentence has three words that are separated from other by a " : " colon and "." period . Format of the sentence looks like ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
5 Replies

5. AIX

Read input data within a specified period of time

Hi All, I am working on a script which requires an input from user within one 1 min. So if the user gives the required input within 1 min., it will execute on the basis of input provided by the user.Other wise it will execute on a default value(hard coded inside the script). Now, I am... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
19 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to extract all the part of the filename before a particular word in the filename

Hi All, Thanks in Advance I am working on a shell script. I need some assistance. My Requirement: 1) There are some set of files in a directory like given below OTP_UFSC_20120530000000_acc.csv OTP_UFSC_20120530000000_faf.csv OTP_UFSC_20120530000000_prom.csv... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aealexanderraj
0 Replies

7. Programming

to extract all the part of the filename before a particular word in the filename

Hi All, Thanks in Advance I am working on a shell script. I need some assistance. My code: if then set "subscriber" "promplan" "mapping" "dedicatedaccount" "faflistSub" "faflistAcc" "accumulator"\ "pam_account"; for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8;... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aealexanderraj
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract string from filename

Hi I need to extract the string from file name filename: FILENAME_STRUT_01032013_XXXXXXX.TXT I want 01032013 from the above file name. number of characters may differ before the required string but underscores(-) are same number i.e. after second underscore. Please advise on this. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnrj
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data according to keys from filename mentioned in file

Hello experts, I want to join a file with files whosE names are mentioned in one of the columns of the same file. File 1 t1,a,b,file number 1 t1,a,c,file number 1 t2,c,d,file number 2 t2,c,e,file number 2 t2,c,f,file number 2 t2,c,g,file number 2 t3,e,f,file number 3 file number 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract filename from a given string

I want to extract the filename from a string. This is how I have the rawdata ina file /home/sid/ftp/testing/abc.txt /home/sid/ftp/tested/testing/def.txt /home/sid/sftp/date/misc/hij.txt i want a script which would provide me an output like this Directory ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidnow
10 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitTwoArgOpen(3)User Contributed Perl DocumentatioPerl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitTwoArgOpen(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitTwoArgOpen - Write "open $fh, q{<}, $filename;" instead of "open $fh, "<$filename";". AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
The three-argument form of "open" (introduced in Perl 5.6) prevents subtle bugs that occur when the filename starts with funny characters like '>' or '<'. The IO::File module provides a nice object-oriented interface to filehandles, which I think is more elegant anyway. open( $fh, '>output.txt' ); # not ok open( $fh, q{>}, 'output.txt' ); # ok use IO::File; my $fh = IO::File->new( 'output.txt', q{>} ); # even better! It's also more explicitly clear to define the input mode of the file, as in the difference between these two: open( $fh, 'foo.txt' ); # BAD: Reader must think what default mode is open( $fh, '<', 'foo.txt' ); # GOOD: Reader can see open mode This policy will not complain if the file explicitly states that it is compatible with a version of perl prior to 5.6 via an include statement, e.g. by having "require 5.005" in it. CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. NOTES
There are two cases in which you are forced to use the two-argument form of open. When re-opening STDIN, STDOUT, or STDERR, and when doing a safe pipe open, as described in perlipc. SEE ALSO
IO::Handle IO::File AUTHOR
Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff@imaginative-software.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Imaginative Software Systems. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitTwoArgOpen(3)