Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers UNIX command to ignore replacing a search string if it is already present Post 303005370 by mehimadri12 on Tuesday 17th of October 2017 12:59:56 PM
Old 10-17-2017
UNIX command to ignore replacing a search string if it is already present

Hello,

I am searching the following string Folder^ in a file and replacing it with Folder^/
However if the file already contains Folder^/ I want to avoid replacing it with Folder^//

To do this I have to do the following today:
1) echo "Folder^" | sed 's/Folder\^/Folder\^\//g'
I get "Folder^/"
2) echo "Folder^/" | sed 's/Folder\^/Folder\^\//g'
I get "Folder^//"

Is there a way in awk or sed to do this a single command. I know I can do the following - but I am looking for a more smarter way to do this
1) replace Folder^/ by Folder^
Code:
sed 's/FOLDER\^\//FOLDER\^/g'

2) replace Folder^ by Folder^/
Code:
sed 's/FOLDER\^/FOLDER\^\//g'

Last edited by RudiC; 10-17-2017 at 02:27 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing a string in a file with command line parameter

Hello, I am trying to replace a string with a paramter given along with the script. I am replacing application1 to application2 with the script: ./change_app.sh application2 change_app.sh: #!/bin/ksh grep $1 applications.dat 2>&1 >/dev/null echo $1 file=pckage.new sed 's/Name:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix find command to print directory and search string

Hi i need to print pathname in which the string present using 'find' command sample output like this Pathname String to be searched ---------- -------------------- /usr/test/myfile get /opt/test/somefile get Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: princein
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep exact string from files and write to filename when string present in file

I am attempting to grep an exact string from a series of files within a directory and append that output to the filename when it is present in the file. I've been after this all day with no luck. Thanks for your help in advance :wall:. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search several string and convert into a single line for each search string using awk command AIX?.

I need to search the file using strings "Request Type" , " Request Method" , "Response Type" and by using result set find the xml tags and convert into a single line?. below are the scenarios. Cat test Nov 10, 2012 5:17:53 AM INFO: Request Type Line 1.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How write the ignore dupkey command in UNIX?

I know that in oracle the is a way to write to ignore the dupkey, something like /*+ ignore_row_on_dupkey_index(tab, index_tab) */ Is there a way to do the same thing but with unix commands? I think there's a way with WHENEVER SQLERROR EXIT SQL.SQLCODE but i'm not sure and i don't know how do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: punticci
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string within a file and list common words from the line having the search string

Hi, Need your help for this scripting issue I have. I am not really good at this, so seeking your help. I have a file looking similar to this: Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. How are you? Hello, i am human and name=PQRS. I am good. Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. Good bye. Hello, i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search, and add if present

Dear All, I have to find a way to reorganize a table file according to the last column. The input file looks like this: cat Input1.txt: ID:12:23:00Q EU232 2342 234 123 231 aa1;ab2 ID:11:22:00E EU112 1232 211 112 233 ab2;ac3 ID:19:24:00S EU121 569 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: loba
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String search in UNIX

Hi Team, Please help me with a command which greps the exact match of the string which I am searching in a file. For examplecat > file abc abcd def ghi In the above file I just wanted to display abc which is first entry. When I execute grep command cat file | grep "abc" it results... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhuraju
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a file which is also present in another file in UNIX

Hi there, I am new to Unix and had below requirement to finish my task. I have file1.dat which has data as shown below. case1.txt case2.txt case3.txt case4.txt file1.dat has only file names I have folder which has above files mentioned in file1.dat ./all_files case1.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj028
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search partial string in a file and replace the string - UNIX

I have the below string which i need to compare with a file and replace this string in the file which matches closely. Can anyone help me on this. string(Scenario 1)- user::r--,user::ourfrd:r-- String(Scenario 2)- user::r-- File **** # file: /local/Desktop/myfile # owner: me # group:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
6 Replies
pam_mount(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      pam_mount(8)

NAME
pam_mount -- Home Folder Mounting PAM module SYNOPSIS
[service-name] function-class control-flag pam_mount [options] DESCRIPTION
The Home Folder Mounting PAM module supports the authentication and session management function classes. In terms of the function-class parameter, these are ``auth'' and ``session'' respectively. The Home Folder Mounting Authentication Module The Home Folder Mounting authentication module reads the mount authenticator from the PAM authentication context and caches it in the PAM environment. The Home Folder Mounting Session Management Module must be used in conjunction with this module to remove the authenticator from the PAM environment. The Home Folder Mounting Session Management Module The Home Folder Mounting session management module copies the mount authenticator from the PAM environment, removes it from the PAM environ- ment, and uses its copy to mount the user's home folder if the user's OpenDirectory record indicates that an AFP, SMB, NFS or FileVault home folder is to be used. When the session is closed, the Home Folder Mounting session management module unmounts the user's home folder if it was mounted by this mod- ule when the session was opened. SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam(8), DirectoryService(8) BSD
February 7, 2009 BSD