Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Associative array index question Post 303004171 by Riker1204 on Wednesday 27th of September 2017 02:33:09 PM
Old 09-27-2017
Associative array index question

I am trying to assign indexes to an associative array in a for loop but I have to use an eval command to make it work, this doesn't seem correct I don't have to do this with regular arrays

For example, the following assignment fails without the eval command:
Code:
#! /bin/bash

read -d "\0" -a DN_ARRAY < <(ls -rlt /localbackup/ldap/ | awk '{ print $9 }' )
   declare -A DN_COUNT

for NAME in "${DN_ARRAY[@]}" ; do
        eval DN_COUNT["$NAME"]=$(grep -E "dn: " /localbackup/ldap/${NAME} | wc -l)
   done

Why is that?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Associative Array

Hi, I am trying to make an associative array to use in a popup_menu on a website. Here is what i have: foreach $entr ( @entries ) { $temp_uid = $entr->get_value(uid); $temp_naam = $entr->get_value(sn); $s++; } This is the popup_menu i want to use it in. popup_menu(-name=>'modcon',... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tine
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Sorting an associative array

Hi, When using sort on an associative array: foreach $key (sort(keys(%opalfabet))){ $value = $opalfabet{$key}; $result .= $value; } How does it handle double values? It seems to me that it removes them, is that true? If so, is there a way to get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tine
2 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

why the inode index of file system starts from 1 unlike array index(0)

why do inode indices starts from 1 unlike array indexes which starts from 0 its a question from "the design of unix operating system" of maurice j bach id be glad if i get to know the answer quickly :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sairamdevotee
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wh inode index starts from 1 unlike array index (0)

brothers why inode index starts from 1 unlike array inex which starts from 0 its a question from the design of unix operating system of maurice j.bach i need to know the answer urgently...someone help please (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sairamdevotee
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed on Associative array in awk

Hi All, I got stuck up with shell script where i use awk. The scenario which i am working on is as below. I have a file text.txt with contents COL1 COL2 COL3 COL4 1 A 500 400 1 B 500 400 1 A 500 200 2 A 290 300 2 B 290 280 3 C 100 100 I could able to sum col 3 and col4 based on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: imsularif
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split string into map (Associative Array)

Hi Input: { committed = 782958592; init = 805306368; max = 1051394048; used = 63456712; } Result: A map (maybe Associative Array) where I can iterate through the key/value. Something like this: for key in $map do echo key=$key value=$map done Sample output from the map: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chitech
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Associative array

I have an associative array named table declare -A table table="fruit" table="veggie" table="GT" table="eminem" Now say I have a variable returning the value highway How do I find corresponding value GT ?? (this value that I find (GT in this case) is supposed to be the name of a mysql... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: leghorn
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Associative Array with more than one item per entry

Hi all I have a problem where i have a large list ( up to 1000 of items) and need to have 2 items pulled from it into variables in a bash script my list is like the following and I could have it as an array or possibly an external text file maintained separately. Every line is different and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcpoole
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Morse Code with Associative Array

Continuing my quest to learn BASH, Bourne, Awk, Grep, etc. on my own through the use of a few books. I've come to an exercise that has me absolutely stumped. The specifics: 1. Using ONLY BASH scripting commands (not sed, awk, etc.), write a script to convert a string on the command line to... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksmarine1980
22 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using associative array for comparison

Hello together, i make something wrong... I want an array that contains information to associate it for further processing. Here is something from my bash... You will know, what I'm trying to do. I have to point out in advance, that the variable $SYSOS is changing and not as static as in my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Decstasy
2 Replies
xpc_array_create(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 				       xpc_array_create(3)

NAME
xpc_array_create -- creation and management of XPC arrays SYNOPSIS
#include <xpc/xpc.h> xpc_object_t xpc_array_create(const xpc_object_t *objects, size_t count); void xpc_array_set_value(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, xpc_object_t value); void xpc_array_append_value(xpc_object_t array, xpc_object_t value); xpc_object_t xpc_array_get_value(xpc_object_t array, size_t index); size_t xpc_array_get_count(xpc_object_t array); bool xpc_array_apply(xpc_object_t array, xpc_array_applier_t applier); void xpc_array_set_bool(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, bool value); void xpc_array_set_int64(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, int64_t value); void xpc_array_set_uint64(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, uint64_t value); void xpc_array_set_double(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, double value); void xpc_array_set_date(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, int64_t value); void xpc_array_set_data(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, const void *bytes, size_t length); void xpc_array_set_string(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, const char *value); void xpc_array_set_uuid(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, const uuid_t value); void xpc_array_set_fd(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, int value); void xpc_array_set_connection(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, xpc_connection_t value); bool xpc_array_get_bool(xpc_object_t array, size_t index); int64_t xpc_array_get_int64(xpc_object_t array, size_t index); uint64_t xpc_array_get_uint64(xpc_object_t array, size_t index); double xpc_array_get_double(xpc_object_t array, size_t index); int64_t xpc_array_get_date(xpc_object_t array, size_t index); const void * xpc_array_get_data(xpc_object_t array, size_t index, size_t *length); const uint8_t * xpc_array_get_uuid(xpc_object_t array, size_t index); const char * xpc_array_get_string(xpc_object_t array, size_t index); int xpc_array_get_fd(xpc_object_t array, size_t index); xpc_connection_t xpc_array_get_connection(xpc_object_t array, size_t index); ARRAYS
XPC arrays are collections of XPC objects ordered by index. The index is zero-based. XPC arrays are contiguous, and values must exist at all indexes between zero and the greatest index of the array. A hole in the array can be simulated by using a null object as returned by xpc_null_create(3). CREATION
The xpc_array_create() function returns a newly created array. The caller may optionally provide objects, a C array of XPC object references, to initialize the array. The count is used to specify the size of the C array. If objects is NULL, then count must be zero. If count speci- fies more elements than are actually present in values or if values is NULL and count is non-zero, the behavior is undefined. GETTING AND SETTING VALUES
The xpc_array_append_value() function may be used to append a value to the end of an array. This operation increases the count of the values in the array by one. The value of a specific index in the array may be set using the xpc_array_set_value() function. The value must be non-NULL, and the index must already exist (i.e. less than the count provided at creation or extended through previous append operations). The value at a specific index of an array may be retrieved using the xpc_array_get_value() function. The result of getting a non-existing index (i.e. one that was not specified at creation or through a previous append operation) in undefined. PRIMITIVE GET AND SET FUNCTIONS
Various functions exist for retrieving primitive C and operating system types directly from an array without the need for an intermediate boxed object. See xpc_object(3) for more information. The special XPC_ARRAY_APPEND constant may be used to append a value to the end of the array instead of operating on a specific index. SEE ALSO
xpc_object(3), xpc_objects(3), xpc_dictionary_create(3) Darwin 1 July, 2011 Darwin