Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace with shell variable in awk Post 303004103 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 26th of September 2017 02:20:39 PM
Old 09-26-2017
Try:
Code:
awk -v var="$var" '{gsub(/\/\/DS/,var);print}' testfile

--
Note: The reason your awk attempt did not work is that the single quotes preventes the shell variables from being expanded..

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 09-27-2017 at 02:31 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell variable with awk

line_no=6 echo 'Phone,' `awk 'NR==$line_no{print;exit}' <filename>` what is the error in this.. it says.. awk: Field $() is not correct. The input line number is 1. The file is <filename>. The source line number is 1. i want to print the data in the $line_no line of a certain... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: St.Fartatric
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace with variable using sed or awk

hi, i have file say email.temp looks like Bell_BB 17 Bell_MONTHLY 888 SOLO_UNBEATABLE 721 and another file r3 Bell BB,Bell_BB Bell,Bell_MONTHLY SOLO,SOLO_UNBEATABLE i want email.temp files $1 say Bell_BB should be replaced by r3 Bell BB and Bell_MONTHLY by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.cse
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a var in sql file with shell script variable

I have a requirement where i have a sql file (filetext.sql). This file contains a variable ss_code. Now in a shell script im trying to replace the variable ss_code with a value contained in the shell script variable MTK_DC..tried the below in the script MTK_DC="mit,cit,bit" OUT=`awk -v... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaelrozar17
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK How to replace a field using 2 shell variables?

Hello everybody: I want to replace any field $2 of any file line (f.i. test.txt) matching $1 with a shell variable. $ cat test.txt F 0 B A H -12.33 Now I'm going to ask the value of variable B: $ SEARCHVAR=B $ OLDVAL=$(awk -v SEARCHVAR="$SEARCHVAR"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: basalt
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: How to get an awk variable out to the shell, using system() ?

I am reasonably capable with awk and its quirks, but not with shell weirdness. This has to be Bourne Shell for portability reasons. I have an awk program that is working just fine; it handles multiple input streams and produces several reports, based on the request (-v Variables). In addition... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DerekAsirvadem
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search, replace and multiply variable within awk?

I have a file that reports the size of disks GB's or TB's - I need the file to report everything in MB's. Here is an extract of the file - the last column is the disk size. 19BC 2363 20G 1AA3 2363 2.93T 1A94 2363 750G Whenever I come across a G I want to delete the G and multiply by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search and replace nth column by using a variable.

I am passing a variable and replace nth value with the variable. I tried using many options in awk command but unable to ignore the special characters in the output and also unable to pass the actual value. Input : "1","2","3" Output : "1","1000","3" TempVal=`echo 1000` Cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk/sed to replace variable in file

Hi All I have one file with multiple lines in it, each line has static text and some variable enclosed in <<filename>> as well. e.g. as below 123, <<file1.txt>> this is my name, I stay at <<city.txt>> Thanks for visiting 348384y, this is my name <<fileabc.txt>>, I stay at near the mall of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
8 Replies
Statistics::Basic::Variance(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Statistics::Basic::Variance(3pm)

NAME
Statistics::Basic::Variance - find the variance of a list SYNOPSIS
Invoke it this way: my $variance = variance(1,2,3); Or this way: my $v1 = vector(1,2,3); my $var = var($v1); And then either query the values or print them like so: print "The variance of $v1: $variance "; my $vq = $var->query; my $v0 = 0+$var; Create a 20 point "moving" variance like so: use Statistics::Basic qw(:all nofill); my $sth = $dbh->prepare("select col1 from data where something"); my $len = 20; my $var = var()->set_size($len); $sth->execute or die $dbh->errstr; $sth->bind_columns( my $val ) or die $dbh->errstr; while( $sth->fetch ) { $var->insert( $val ); if( defined( my $v = $var->query ) ) { print "Variance: $v "; } # This would also work: # print "Variance: $v " if $var->query_filled; } METHODS
new() The constructor takes a list of values, a single array ref, or a single Statistics::Basic::Vector as arguments. It returns a Statistics::Basic::Variance object. Note: normally you'd use the mean() constructor, rather than building these by hand using "new()". query_mean() Returns the Statistics::Basic::Mean object used in the variance computation. _OVB::import() This module also inherits all the overloads and methods from Statistics::Basic::_OneVectorBase. AUTHOR
Paul Miller "<jettero@cpan.org>" I am using this software in my own projects... If you find bugs, please please please let me know. :) Actually, let me know if you find it handy at all. Half the fun of releasing this stuff is knowing that people use it. OVERLOADS
This object is overloaded. It tries to return an appropriate string for the calculation or the value of the computation in numeric context. In boolean context, this object is always true (even when empty). COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2012 Paul Miller -- Licensed under the LGPL SEE ALSO
perl(1), Statistics::Basic, Statistics::Basic::_OneVectorBase, Statistics::Basic::Vector perl v5.14.2 2012-01-23 Statistics::Basic::Variance(3pm)