Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash - proper way to append variable to stderr Post 303003639 by bakunin on Monday 18th of September 2017 12:55:20 PM
Old 09-18-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2005
In order to get the missing files logs i run:
Code:
for i in {1..8} ; do ls -al file$i 2>> error.log ; done

I am not sure what exactly you want to do, but in this case you can simply test for the existence of the file(s) and then construct your own error message:

Code:
for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ; do
     if [ ! -e "/path/to/file$i" ] ; then
          echo "File file$i is missing, date is: $(date)" >>/your/log/file
     fi
done

If you do this in ksh you have an even better and cleanlier way to do this:

Code:
#! /bin/ksh

exec 3>>/path/to/your/logfile        # open logfile for appending and use IOD 3 to address it.

print -u3 - "----- start of execution ( $(date) ) -----" # -u3 : send it to IOD 3
for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ; do
     if [ ! -e "/path/to/file$i" ] ; then
          print -u3 - "File file$i is missing, date is: $(date)"
     fi
done
print -u3 - "----- end of execution ( $(date) ) -----"

exec 3>&-     # close IO descriptor 3 again

This way you can open (and close) the file once and do not have to address it anew for every message you want to append. You also don't have to worry about one misplaced ">" instead of a ">>" wiping out the whole logfile. And you can use several such files at once by using IOD 4, 5, 6, ... too.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect stderr to dev/null in bash env.

Working in a bash environment, in the following example, how do I direct the error message that putting in an invalid flag (-j for example) would normally produce to dev/null? while getopts "abcd" opt do case "$opt" in i) a etc ;; r) b etc ;; f) c etc ;; v) d... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sniper Pixie
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

can't redirect stderr in bash

Consider: #!/bin/sh #this is a shell script in sh (bourne) grep missingfile 2>errout.txt It works from the command line, but keeps producing errors from the script. So how do I redirect in a bash shell...or bourne? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lumix
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR to a file from within a bash script

I am trying to redirect the output from stderr to a log file from within a bash script. the script is to long to add 2> $logfile to the end of each command. I have been trying to do it with the command exec 2> $logfile This mostly works. Unfortunately, when a read command requires that anything be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vockleya
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can STDERR be saved to a variable

Guys i'm trying to save STDERR to a variable for a portion of my ksh script on solaris. I know i can create redirects to files as such: exec 4>/tmp/lava print "This will be saved to /tmp/lava and not screen"; >&4 print "This will be seen on screen" >&2 I want to save the STDOUT of a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lavascript
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append stderr

Hi everybody. I was used to redirect stderr to a file in this way, calling a generic script:./myScript &> output.logBut now I need something more sophisticated...Inside a bash script I launch an executable in this way:${command} >> "${globalLogFile}"So I redirect the stdout into globalLogFile.... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: canduc17
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh, bash, and /dev/stderr: no such device

Hello, When I run the following program: ssh 192.168.1.4 bash -l <<EOF > echo foo >/dev/stderr > EOF I get the following confusing error. bash: line 1: /dev/stderr: No such device or address Does anyone know why and how to fix it? I'm capturing stdout in a variable, but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brsett
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect the STDERR to a variable in perl?

in my perl script i tried the below statement $result = `cleartool rmstream -f $s1 1> /dev/null`; so as to redirect then error messages,when i print the $result ,it seems to be Null. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ram_unx
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] how is proper way to validate user input

hi all, i have a script that need user input provide all variables that needed to complete a job. this is my current script: echo "type file source and it full path :" read INPUTFILE if || ; then echo "ERROR: you didn't enter a file source or file source is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: makan
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Proper distribution of cards in terminal based crazy8's game in bash script

When I run the following script at the bottom it say cards remaining=44...It should be=35. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've spent hours trying to get this to work and I can't go any further until this part works. thank you in advance Cogiz #!/bin/bash # Date="November, 2016" #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cogiz
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect string from bash stderr to user stdin

Hi there, I need to execute a command in the bash. The program prints some standard (output and) error and then wants the user to choose one of several options and type the according input. I am trying to solve this issue in a bash script but also running into some circular dependency. How can I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredestet
7 Replies
ROTATELOGS(8)							    rotatelogs							     ROTATELOGS(8)

NAME
rotatelogs - Piped logging program to rotate Apache logs SYNOPSIS
rotatelogs [ -l ] [ -L linkname ] [ -p program ] [ -f ] [ -v ] [ -e ] [ -c ] [ -n number-of-files ] logfile rotationtime|filesize(B|K|M|G) [ offset ] SUMMARY
rotatelogs is a simple program for use in conjunction with Apache's piped logfile feature. It supports rotation based on a time interval or maximum size of the log. OPTIONS
-l Causes the use of local time rather than GMT as the base for the interval or for strftime(3) formatting with size-based rotation. -L linkname Causes a hard link to be made from the current logfile to the specified link name. This can be used to watch the log continuously across rotations using a command like tail -F linkname. -p program If given, rotatelogs will execute the specified program every time a new log file is opened. The filename of the newly opened file is passed as the first argument to the program. If executing after a rotation, the old log file is passed as the second argument. rotatelogs does not wait for the specified program to terminate before continuing to operate, and will not log any error code returned on termination. The spawned program uses the same stdin, stdout, and stderr as rotatelogs itself, and also inherits the environment. -f Causes the logfile to be opened immediately, as soon as rotatelogs starts, instead of waiting for the first logfile entry to be read (for non-busy sites, there may be a substantial delay between when the server is started and when the first request is handled, meaning that the associated logfile does not "exist" until then, which causes problems from some automated logging tools) -t Causes the logfile to be truncated instead of rotated. This is useful when a log is processed in real time by a command like tail, and there is no need for archived data. No suffix will be added to the filename, however format strings containing '%' characters will be respected. -v Produce verbose output on STDERR. The output contains the result of the configuration parsing, and all file open and close actions. -e Echo logs through to stdout. Useful when logs need to be further processed in real time by a further tool in the chain. -c Create log file for each interval, even if empty. -n number-of-files Use a circular list of filenames without timestamps. With -n 3, the series of log files opened would be "logfile", "logfile.1", "logfile.2", then overwriting "logfile". logfile rotationtime The time between log file rotations in seconds. The rotation occurs at the beginning of this interval. For example, if the rotation time is 3600, the log file will be rotated at the beginning of every hour; if the rotation time is 86400, the log file will be rotated every night at midnight. (If no data is logged during an interval, no file will be created.) filesize(B|K|M|G) The maximum file size in followed by exactly one of the letters B (Bytes), K (KBytes), M (MBytes) or G (GBytes). .PP When time and size are specified, the size must be given after the time. Rotation will occur whenever either time or size limits are reached. offset The number of minutes offset from UTC. If omitted, zero is assumed and UTC is used. For example, to use local time in the zone UTC -5 hours, specify a value of -300 for this argument. In most cases, -l should be used instead of specifying an offset. EXAMPLES
CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/logfile 86400" common This creates the files /var/logs/logfile.nnnn where nnnn is the system time at which the log nominally starts (this time will always be a multiple of the rotation time, so you can synchronize cron scripts with it). At the end of each rotation time (here after 24 hours) a new log is started. CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs -l /var/logs/logfile.%Y.%m.%d 86400" common This creates the files /var/logs/logfile.yyyy.mm.dd where yyyy is the year, mm is the month, and dd is the day of the month. Logging will switch to a new file every day at midnight, local time. CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/logfile 5M" common This configuration will rotate the logfile whenever it reaches a size of 5 megabytes. ErrorLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/errorlog.%Y-%m-%d-%H_%M_%S 5M" This configuration will rotate the error logfile whenever it reaches a size of 5 megabytes, and the suffix to the logfile name will be cre- ated of the form errorlog.YYYY-mm-dd-HH_MM_SS. CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs -t /var/logs/logfile 86400" common This creates the file /var/logs/logfile, truncating the file at startup and then truncating the file once per day. It is expected in this scenario that a separate process (such as tail) would process the file in real time. PORTABILITY
The following logfile format string substitutions should be supported by all strftime(3) implementations, see the strftime(3) man page for library-specific extensions. o %A - full weekday name (localized) o %a - 3-character weekday name (localized) o %B - full month name (localized) o %b - 3-character month name (localized) o %c - date and time (localized) o %d - 2-digit day of month o %H - 2-digit hour (24 hour clock) o %I - 2-digit hour (12 hour clock) o %j - 3-digit day of year o %M - 2-digit minute o %m - 2-digit month o %p - am/pm of 12 hour clock (localized) o %S - 2-digit second o %U - 2-digit week of year (Sunday first day of week) o %W - 2-digit week of year (Monday first day of week) o %w - 1-digit weekday (Sunday first day of week) o %X - time (localized) o %x - date (localized) o %Y - 4-digit year o %y - 2-digit year o %Z - time zone name o %% - literal `%' Apache HTTP Server 2013-06-13 ROTATELOGS(8)