Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Retrieving previous command in a script Post 303002675 by SkySmart on Wednesday 30th of August 2017 01:28:23 PM
Old 08-30-2017
Retrieving previous command in a script

i know from the command line, the symbol $_ is used to get the last command that was run.

however, id like to replicate this within a script.

meaning, how do i do something like this:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
ps -ef | egrep talling
StoreThisLastCommandA=$_
awk '/error/ {print $3}' /tmp/test
StoreThisLastCommandB=$_

My goal is to have the variable StoreThisLastCommandA contain
Code:
 ps -ef | egrep talling

since that is the last command ran at that point in the script.

Likewise, I want the variable StoreThisLastCommandB to contain
Code:
awk '/error/ {print $3}' /tmp/test

because, again, that is the last command kicked off at that point.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting the previous command

Hello all I'm on SunOS5.9 and I'm trying to make the arrow keys work as in DOS ..get the previous command , etc .. I searched this site and got an answer. I pasted the following code to my .kshrc file in my home directory...It still does not seem to work ...Am I missing anything here ? I'm... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retrieving the execution time of a completed command

Hello, I am new to this forum and relatively new to unix, but hope to become an expert soon! My question is: How can I find out the execution time of a command that has already completed execution? More specifically, I launched a Python script to populate a PostgreSQL database on Suse... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marina
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Seeing previous command

Guys, In work we have just gotten a new HP 9000 server and I'm trying to set it up so that if I press <Up arrow> key I can see the command I typed in last(and press enter to run it again). Can anyone advise how to set this up. One friend suggested I touch a file called .toucheditXXXX (I cant... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackieChan
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Previous Command

We have a Solaris Server and I am acessing it through telnet to run various commands for my data validation like GREP, SED, AWK etc. My requirement is how do i use the previous command that was executed. I tried the option 'ESC' and then 'k'. It displays the characters like '^[[A' etc. How do I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vskr72
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Previous Command

We have a Solaris Server and I am acessing it through telnet to run various commands for my data validation like GREP, SED, AWK etc. My requirement is how do i use the previous command that was executed. I tried the option 'ESC' and then 'k'. It displays the characters like '^[[A' etc. How do I... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Previous Command

We have a Solaris Server and I am acessing it through telnet to run various commands for my data validation like GREP, SED, AWK etc. My requirement is how do i use the previous command that was executed. I tried the option 'ESC' and then 'k'. It displays the characters like '^[[A' etc. How do I... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

Retrieving the full command

Hi All, I would like to retrieve the whole command that got executed for a running process rather than a truncated string, as a result of running ps -ef on HP-UX. Please help. TIA (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trocadero
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

Previous command

Hi, i would like to retrieve (only retrieve, not execute) a previous command which i executed on the command prompt. I tried the 'up arrow' key, but its not working. Instead,it showed me some funny characters. I searched around and i found the way to do it was using the way below. Several... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Retrieving command line arguments of a particular PID

hi The "ps" command shows the command line arguments of running processes: $ /bin/ps -o pid,args -e .... 26031 pico /tmp/crontab2KaG1Y 596 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m 9955 xterm -n 1 -sb -sl 800 -g 80+70+70 2627 /usr/sbin/snmpd -Lsd -Lf /dev/null -p /var/run/snmpd -a 1691 .... I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrewkl
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieving values from tab-delimited file in unix script

Hi I am trying to retrieve values from a tab-delimited file.I am using while read record value=`echo $record | cut -f12` done Where 12 is the column no i want retieve and record is one line of the file. But it is returning the full record. Plz help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: akashtcs
4 Replies
IRSEND(1)							   User Commands							 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.9.0-pre1 October 2010 IRSEND(1)