Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete all lines starting with # character Post 303002524 by John K on Saturday 26th of August 2017 09:01:24 AM
Old 08-26-2017
Thank You scrutinizer. :g/^ *#/d cannot take care of TABs.

ie. It cannot remove the line with #some comment1 shown below which has a TAB at the beginning. Any idea , how lines with TABs can also be dealt with ? Using vi or some other utility ?

Code:
$ cat config.properties2
    #some comment1 
parameter1=blablah
#some more comment2
another parameter=blablah
#another comment3
parameter3=xyz

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines starting with XX or YY or ZZ or ....

Hi There! My final task for today is to delete lines starting with certain numbers for e.g., my text block is and i want to delete all lines starting with 11 or 17 or 21 I know i can use multiple sed commands like sed '/^11,/d' <filename> sed '/^17,/d' <filename> sed '/^21,/d'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orno
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Sed how can I replace starting from the 7th character to the 15th character.

Hi All, Was wondering how I can do the following.... I have a String as follows "ACCTRL000005022RRWDKKEEDKDD...." This string can be in a file called tail.out or in a Variable called $VAR2 Now I have another variable called $VAR1="000004785" (9 bytes long), I need the content of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohullah
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search the word to be deleted and delete lines above this word starting from P1 to P3

Hi, I have to search a word in a text file and then I have to delete lines above from the word searched . For eg suppose the file is like this: Records P1 10,23423432 ,77:1 ,234:2 P2 10,9089004 ,77:1 ,234:2 ,87:123 ,9898:2 P3 456456 P1 :123,456456546 P2 abc:324234 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete lines starting with a pattern

i have a file sample.txt containing i want to delete lines starting with 123 neglecting spaces and tabs. but not lines containing 123. i.e. i want files sample.txt as help me thanxx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yashwantkumar
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete multiple lines starting with a specific pattern

Hi, just tried some script, awk, sed for the last 2 hours and now need help. Let's say I have a huge file of 800,000 lines like this : It's a tedious job to look through it, I'd like to remove those useless lines in it as there's a few thousands : Or to be even more precise : if line1 =... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zurd
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk delete character in the lines before and after the matching line

Sample file: This is line one, this is another line, this is the PRIMARY INDEX line l ; This is another line The command should find the line with “PRIMARY INDEX” and remove the last character from the line preceding it (in this case , comma) and remove the first character from the line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KC_Rules
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines starting with these strings

Platform : RHEL 5.8 I have text file called myapplication.log . In this file, I have around 800 lines which start with the followng three strings PWRBRKER-3493 PWRBRKER-7834 SCHEDULER-ERROR How can I delete these lines in one go ? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete lines starting with specific string?

Dear all, I would like to delete even lines starting with "N" together with their respective titles which are actually odd lines. Below is the example of input file. I would like to remove line 8 and 12 together with its title line, i.e., line 7 and 11, respectively.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: huiyee1
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all lines except a line starting with string

Shell : bash OS : RHEL 6.8 I have a file like below. $ cat pattern.txt hello txt1 txt2 txt3 some other text txt4 I want to remove all lines in this file except the ones starting with txt . How can I do this ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
4 Replies
cat(1)								   User Commands							    cat(1)

NAME
cat - concatenate and display files SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/cat /usr/bin/cat [-nbsuvet] [file...] ksh93 cat [-bdenstuvABDEST] [file...] DESCRIPTION
/usr/bin/cat The cat utility reads each file in sequence and writes it on the standard output. Thus: example% cat file prints file on your terminal, and: example% cat file1 file2 >file3 concatenates file1 and file2, and writes the results in file3. If no input file is given, cat reads from the standard input file. ksh93 The cat built-in in ksh93 is associated with the /bin and /usr/bin paths. It is invoked when cat is executed without a pathname prefix and the pathname search finds a /bin/cat or /usr/bin/cat executable. cat copies each file in sequence to the standard output. If no file is specified, or if the file is -, cat copies from standard input starting at the current location. OPTIONS
/usr/bin/cat The following options are supported by /usr/bin/cat: -b Number the lines, as -n, but omit the line numbers from blank lines. -n Precede each line output with its line number. -s cat is silent about non-existent files. -u The output is not buffered. Buffered output is the default. -v Non-printing characters, with the exception of tabs, NEWLINEs and form feeds, are printed visibly. ASCII control characters (octal 000 - 037) are printed as ^n, where n is the corresponding ASCII character in the range octal 100 - 137 (@, A, B, C, . . ., X, Y, Z, [, , ], ^, and _); the DEL character (octal 0177) is printed ^?. Other non-printable characters are printed as M-x, where x is the ASCII character specified by the low-order seven bits. When used with the -v option, the following options can be used: -e A $ character is printed at the end of each line, prior to the NEWLINE. -t Tabs are printed as ^Is and form feeds to be printed as ^Ls. The -e and -t options are ignored if the -v option is not specified. ksh93 ksh93 cat supports the following options: -b --number-nonblank Number lines as with -n but omit line numbers from blank lines. -d --dos-input Open input files in text mode. Removes RETURNs in front of NEWLINEs on some systems. -e Equivalent to -vE. -n --number Insert a line number at the beginning of each line. -s Equivalent to -S for att universe and -B otherwise. -t Equivalent to -vT. -u --unbuffer Do not delay the output by buffering. -v --show-nonprinting Cause non-printing characters (with the exception of TABs, NEWLINEs, and form feeds) to be output as printable character sequences. ASCII control characters are printed as ^n, where n is the corresponding ASCII character in the range octal 100-137. The DEL character (octal 0177) is copied as ^?. Other non-printable characters are copied as M-x where x is the ASCII character specified by the low-order seven bits. Multi-byte characters in the current locale are treated as printable characters. -A --show-all Equivalent to -vET. -B --squeeze-blank Replace multiple adjacent NEWLINE characters with one NEWLINE. -D --dos-output Open output files in text mode. Insert RETURNs in front of NEWLINEs on some systems. -E --show-ends Insert a $ before each NEWLINE. -S --silent cat is silent about non-existent files. -T --show-blank Copies TABs as ^I and form feeds as ^L. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file is specified, the standard input is used. If file is -, cat reads from the standard input at that point in the sequence. cat does not close and reopen standard input when it is referenced in this way, but accepts multiple occurrences of - as file. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cat when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Concatenating a File The following command writes the contents of the file myfile to standard output: example% cat myfile Example 2 Concatenating Two files into One The following command concatenates the files doc1 and doc2 and writes the result to doc.all. example% cat doc1 doc2 > doc.all Example 3 Concatenating Two Arbitrary Pieces of Input with a Single Invocation When standard input is a terminal, the following command gets two arbitrary pieces of input from the terminal with a single invocation of cat: example% cat start - middle - end > file when standard input is a terminal, gets two arbitrary pieces of input from the terminal with a single invocation of cat. If standard input is a regular file, example% cat start - middle - end > file would be equivalent to the following command: cat start - middle /dev/null end > file because the entire contents of the file would be consumed by cat the first time - was used as a file operand and an end-of-file condition would be detected immediately when -was referenced the second time. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cat: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/cat +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ ksh93 +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The ksh93 built-in binding to /bin and /usr/bin is Volatile. The built-in interfaces are Uncommitted. SEE ALSO
touch(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) NOTES
Redirecting the output of cat onto one of the files being read causes the loss of the data originally in the file being read. For example, example% cat filename1 filename2 > filename1 causes the original data in filename1 to be lost. SunOS 5.11 8 Apr 2008 cat(1)