Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Extract delta records using with "comm" and "sort" commands combination Post 303002055 by njny on Wednesday 16th of August 2017 11:56:29 PM
Old 08-17-2017
Apologies for the delayed response. Didn't realize wisecracker responded.

Yes wisecracker, when I first posted my query, all the files were in the current directory. The 3 steps process of first sorting the 2 files and saving into other files, followed by applying "comm" command on the sorted files succeeded.

I tried all the commands again, this time the "comm" also worked. I was puzzled how it worked this time.

My guess is when I first posted my query, as RudiC pointed I didn't apply "process substitution"; later when I did, I guess someone else removed those files from my current directory during that time that I didn't realize.

Please see below:
Code:
$ ls -ltr
total 134808
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbbldyx y8dxmr     14008 Aug 16 23:36 file_old
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbbldyx y8dxmr     15033 Aug 16 23:37 file_new
$ comm -3 < sort file_old < sort file_new > new_file
-ksh: sort: cannot open [No such file or directory]
$ comm -3 <sort file_old <sort file_new > new_file
-ksh: sort: cannot open [No such file or directory]
$ comm -3 <(sort file_old) <(sort file_new) > new_file
$ more new_file
        ||G6||||Y||||1000|5000|6/4/2008|||3||6/16/2166|1010|xyz|Y||||FR|FR|FR|0.014|JR|GEN||||N|FR||8.0|USD||1
$ diff file_old file_new
10a11
>||G6||||Y||||1000|5000|6/4/2008|||3||6/16/2166|1010|xyz|Y||||FR|FR|FR|0.014|JR|GEN||||N|FR||8.0|USD||1

$ sort file_old > file1
$ sort file_new > file2
$ comm -3 file1 file2 > file3
$ diff new_file file3
$

Thank you RudiC for the tip, Don for clarification and wisecracker for prompting me to check if the files exist. Thank you all.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 08-17-2017 at 01:17 AM.. Reason: Edit tags again. Solved is a thread tag, not a text tag. <Code>/</Code> -> [Code]/[/Code].

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

catalina.sh : need combination from "start" and "run"

heya, can someone help me with following problem. i am not sure how far you know the catalina.sh script from tomcat. when i start my tomcat with "catalina.sh run" then the startup-process-output will be printed out on the console, but the tomcat process is started in current shell/session, so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Filly
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix commands delete all files starting with "X" except "X" itself. HELP!!!!?

im a new student in programming and im stuck on this question so please please HELP ME. thanks. the question is this: enter a command to delete all files that have filenames starting with labtest, except labtest itself (delete all files startign with 'labtest' followed by one or more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soccerball
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Red Hat

files having Script which works behind "who" & "w" commands

Dear All, plz print the path of files which have the script of "who" & "w" commands. thnx in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saqlain.bashir
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK for multiple line records RS="^" FS="#"

I have to pull multiple line records with ^ as the record separator(RS)... # should be my field separator (FS)... Sample record is: ^-60#ORA-00060: deadlock detected while waiting for resource ORA-00001: unique constraint (SARADM.TCKNUM_PK) violated#PROC:AVAILABLE_FOR_GETNXTTIC#02/27/2012... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vidhyaprakash
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
COMM(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   COMM(1)

NAME
comm -- select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123i] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which should be sorted lexically, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. The filename ``-'' means the standard input. The following options are available: -1 Suppress printing of column 1. -2 Suppress printing of column 2. -3 Suppress printing of column 3. -i Case insensitive comparison of lines. Each column will have a number of tab characters prepended to it equal to the number of lower numbered columns that are being printed. For example, if column number two is being suppressed, lines printed in column number one will not have any tabs preceding them, and lines printed in column number three will have one. The comm utility assumes that the files are lexically sorted; all characters participate in line comparisons. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of comm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The comm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1) STANDARDS
The comm utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). The -i option is an extension to the POSIX standard. HISTORY
A comm command appeared in Version 4 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
Input lines are limited to LINE_MAX (2048) characters in length. BSD
January 26, 2005 BSD