Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Running a command as another non-root user Post 303001913 by MIA651 on Monday 14th of August 2017 04:37:46 PM
Old 08-14-2017
Running a command as another non-root user

Hi,

I am trying to run a command within my KSH script as another user due to permission issues, now both users are non root. I have tried the following command and was unsuccessful:

Code:
 echo "<password>" | sudo -S -u <username> -k command

Can I use sudo to run a command as a non-root user?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a command or script as root

I'm writing an application (Progress language) that needs to: 1) load the contents of a cron table into the Progress application; 2) display this information in a human manner and allow a select group of people to update it (these people are logged in as themselves, not as root); 3) save... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rm-r
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

As root , running script as different user with su - problem

Dear All I am running into a situation where I am running a script as another user lets say oracle using su command as below, and the script fails because the .profile of oracle is not executed so the environment variables are not set. cat /etc/passwd | grep oracle... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbsupp
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

root user command in shell script execute as normal user

Hi All I have written one shell script for GPRS route add is given below named GPRSRouteSet.sh URL="www.google.com" VBURL="10.5.2.211" echo "Setting route for $URL for GPRS" URL_Address=`nslookup $URL|grep Address:|grep -v "#"|awk -F " " '{print $2}'|head -1` echo "Executing ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Allow a user use a specific root command!

Hi, I like to allow an user to permit an root command " /usr/ucb/ps -auxwww", do you know how? Kind regards Mehrdad (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehrdad68
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to restrict root user from running some commands

is it possible that we can restrict the root user if he runs some commands?? e.g i want if root runs command 'rm etc/passwd', he shoudn't be able to run command and throws error :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheelsadan
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execute a command as root from normal user

Hi , I am trying to stop and start a process using the below code. I have sudo access on my machine ## PID = process id echo "$PASSWD" | sudo -S kill -9 <PID> echo "$PASSWD" | sudo -S /opt/abc/startserver /opt/abc/startserver: error while loading shared libraries: librts.so: cannot open... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running commands in remote node as root user

Platform :Oracle Linux 6.4 We are trying to automate the SAN level cloning from production RAC DB cluster to test. From a shell script, I would like to run the below command Step1,2 and 3 from Node1 in a sequential order as root user . How can I do this ? passwordless for root user is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Root running a script calling to scp using user "xyz" is not authenticating!

Close duplicate thread. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: denissi
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON JOB not running - for tape backup from root user

I am trying a cron on root user to backup to tape using TAR command here is the cron entry 11 08 * * 6 /erdhot1cron 2>&1 >> /test3/scripts/dba/erdhot1cron.log here is script inside - edhot1cron #!/bin/bash vsysdt=`date +%d%m%y` date tar -cvf /dev/st0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaymec50
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a command with root user

i m logged in with user1 id. i wish to execute the below as root user for which i tried several commands but all of them fail. sudo 'cat /tmp/tmp.file >>/etc/logger' Password: sudo: cat /tmp/tmp.file >>/etc/logger: command not found sudo cat /tmp/tmp.file >>/etc/logger bash:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies
GKSU(1) 							   User Commands							   GKSU(1)

NAME
gksu - GTK+ frontend for su and sudo SYNOPSIS
gksu gksu [-u <user>] [options] <command> gksudo [-u <user>] [options] <command> DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly gksu and gksudo gksu is a frontend to su and gksudo is a frontend to sudo. Their primary purpose is to run graphical commands that need root without the need to run an X terminal emulator and using su directly. Notice that all the magic is done by the underlying library, libgksu. Also notice that the library will decide if it should use su or sudo as backend using the /apps/gksu/sudo-mode gconf key, if you call the gksu command. You can force the backend by using the gksudo command, or by using the --sudo-mode and --su-mode options. If no command is given, the gksu program will display a small window that allows you to type in a command to be run, and to select what user the program should be run as. The other options are disregarded, right now, in this mode. OPTIONS
--debug, -d Print information on the screen that might be useful for diagnosing and/or solving problems. --user <user>, -u <user> Call <command> as the specified user. --disable-grab, -g Disable the "locking" of the keyboard, mouse, and focus done by the program when asking for password. --prompt, -P Ask the user if they want to have their keyboard and mouse grabbed before doing so. --preserve-env, -k Preserve the current environments, does not set $HOME nor $PATH, for example. --login, -l Make this a login shell. Beware this may cause problems with the Xauthority magic. Run xhost to allow the target user to open win- dows on your display! --description <description|file>, -D <description|file> Provide a descriptive name for the command to be used in the default message, making it nicer. You can also provide the absolute path for a .desktop file. The Name key for will be used in this case. --message <message>, -m <message> Replace the standard message shown to ask for password for the argument passed to the option. Only use this if --description does not suffice. --print-pass, -p Ask gksu to print the password to stdout, just like ssh-askpass. Useful to use in scripts with programs that accept receiving the password on stdin. --su-mode, -w Force gksu to use su(1) as its backend for running the programs. --sudo-mode, -S Force gksu to use sudo(1) as its backend for running the programs. SEE ALSO
su(1), sudo(1) gksu version 2.0.x August 2006 GKSU(1)