Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Vg not able access.
Operating Systems AIX Vg not able access. Post 303001770 by bakunin on Thursday 10th of August 2017 11:25:01 PM
Old 08-11-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by leecopper
Hi Guys,
After a reboot done on the server, I am able to access the VG again, in fact while I am trying to shutdown the server it self, it hang and take long time till I need to force shutdown from HMC.
Thanks a lot guys.
First off, i am glad you could resolve your issue. But: a reboot is (most times) not the way to resolve things. After all, we are not on Windows - we use a real OS with real error-correcting capabilities.

Most probably your issue came from a "VG lock". The SCSI-protocol (which is also used with FC-connected disks as "iSCSI") can lock a disks so that any other attempt to use it will fail. You need such locks for disks which are accessed from more than one system, like in clusters. Sometimes such a lock is placed wrongly and not removed so that it prevents further management of the disk. You need to break such a lock before continuing.
You do that by

Code:
varyonvg -bu <VG>

I hope this heps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to access/mount so to access folder/files on a Remote System using Linux OS

Hi I need to access files from a specific folder of a Linux system from an another Linux System Remotely. I know how to, Export a folder on One SCO System & can access the same by using Import via., NFS in the Sco Unix SVR4 System using the scoadmin utility. Also, I know to use mount -t ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to access CD

Hi, I have to apply service pack from cd. so i have to copy some file from cd to linux directory. Can any body help me what command to use access from cd and copy file. Thanks sam71 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam71
2 Replies

3. SuSE

"scp" access denied:/etc/security/access.conf

Guys i have 2 SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP1 (i586) boxes.if i take a look into /etc/security/access.conf ,i see following lines at the eof # All other users should be denied to get access from all sources. #- : ALL : ALL - : myID : ALL now earlier i had written scripts where files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ak835
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kernel giving access for multiple users to access files

hi all, i want to know y kernel is giving access for multiple users to access a file when one user may be the owner is executing that file. Because other user can manipulate that file when the other user is executing that file, it will give the unexpected result to owner . plz help me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmyuk
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

Does my provider limit my internet access or somesites access?

Hi Good Day, i would like to ask for further info about my problems experiencing this evening. Im a PPP0 connection in the internet using 3G located in asia pacific region.i had this problem this evening in my INTERNET connections that there are some sites i can't open example ( Gizmodo.com,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
2 Replies

6. AIX

ftp access without shell access

Hi all, I'm using AIX v 5.3 I want to create system users to access through ftp or sftp and restrict those users into specific directory and don't traverse the whole file system just to be restricted within a directory and don't get shell access . i don't want to use any other third party... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
7 Replies

7. Solaris

cp: cannot access

Hi all, I have this statement: cp `ls -lrt |awk '{if($6=="Feb") print $9}'|wc -l` /smartapp/reports/archive_jan_feb_march/ However it fails with: cp: cannot access 948 The owner for this script is not a concern, May I know which part went wrong? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
8 Replies

8. Solaris

samba read write access to owner and no access to other users

Hi All, I want to configure samba share permission so that only directory creator/owner has a read and write permission and other users should not have any read/write access to that folder.Will that be possible and how can this be achieved within samba configuration. Regards, Sahil (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahil_shine
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Remote Access vs Local Access

Dear Friends, This is not a problem , it's a course work (UNIX scenario).... As part of it I am searching Remote Attacks and find points as 1. Exploiting a listening service 2. Routing through Unix system that is providing security between 2 or more networks 3. User initiated Remote execution... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anespa
1 Replies

10. Proxy Server

How to use Squid on Linux to control certain IP to access Web Server and certain IP cannot access?

Dear all experts here, :) I would like to install a proxy server on Linux server to perform solely to control the access of Web server. In this case, some of my vendor asked me to try Squid and I have installed it onto my Linux server. I would like know how can I set the configuration to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
1 Replies
cmdisklock(1m)															    cmdisklock(1m)

NAME
cmdisklock - manage Serviceguard cluster lock devices. SYNOPSIS
cmdisklock check path cmdisklock [-f] reset path DESCRIPTION
cmdisklock is a tool to check the current state of a Serviceguard cluster lock device. It can also be used to reset the state of the clus- ter lock device. The need to reset the cluster lock device state could arise if the cluster lock device is replaced or becomes corrupt. A cluster lock device can be either an HP-UX LVM cluster lock or a cluster lock LUN device. HP-UX LVM cluster locks exist only on a disk in an LVM volume group. Cluster lock LUNs exist only on disks dedicated to cluster lock. cmdisklock is useful for checking either type of cluster lock and for re-initializing cluster lock LUN devices after a failure or corruption. NOTE To restore an HP-UX LVM cluster lock, use vgcfgrestore. cmdisklock will fail until vgcfgrestore is run, and cmdisklock is unnecessary as long as vgcfgbackup was done after the cluster lock was initialized. See the Managing Serviceguard manual for details. The syntax of the path option depends on the type of lock. For HP-UX LVM cluster lock disks, the syntax is VG:PV (for example: /dev/vglock:/dev/dsk/c0t0d2). For cluster lock LUN disks, the path is the disk device path. For example, /dev/sdd1 (on Linux) or /dev/dsk/c0t1d2 (on HP-UX). Options cmdisklock supports the following options: check Check the current state of the cluster lock device and report the results. reset Reset (initialize) the state of the cluster lock device. This operation should only be performed on a cluster lock LUN device. For HP-UX LVM cluster lock, use vgcfgrestore as documented in the Managing Serviceguard manual. After performing a reset, a check can be used to verify that the lock is cleared. EXAMPLES
If the cluster lock LUN device becomes corrupted and the cluster is up, messages like the following will appear in syslog. Mar 15 12:20:41 usb cmdisklockd[17599]: WARNING: Cluster lock LUN /dev/dsk/c0t1d2 is corrupt: bad label. Until this situation is cor- rected, a single failure could cause all nodes in the cluster to crash. Mar 15 12:20:41 usb cmdisklockd[17599]: After ensuring that all active nodes in the cluster have logged this message, run 'cmdisklock reset /dev/dsk/c0t1d2' to repair Mar 15 12:20:41 usb cmdisklockd[17599]: Cluster lock disk /dev/dsk/c0t1d2 is inaccessible Once the above messages appear in syslog on all running nodes, the following command will re-initialize the cluster lock LUN: ucd:/> cmdisklock reset /dev/dsk/c0t1d2 WARNING: Cluster lock LUN /dev/dsk/c0t1d2 is corrupt: bad label. Until this situation is corrected, a single failure could cause all nodes in the cluster to crash. After ensuring that all active nodes in the cluster have logged this message, run 'cmdisklock reset /dev/dsk/c0t1d2' to repair /dev/dsk/c0t1d2 is inaccessible Resetting cluster lock device /dev/dsk/c0t1d2 Cluster lock reset completed /dev/dsk/c0t1d2 is accessible cleared After the lock is restored, a message like the following appears in syslog: Mar 15 12:23:11 usb cmdisklockd[17599]: Cluster lock disk /dev/dsk/c0t1d2 is accessible WARNINGS
CAUTION For cluster lock LUN, reset is a potentially destructive operation. While cmdisklock checks for known volume manager and file system use (overridden by -f), it does not validate that the device to be reset is actually used by any cluster. If -f is used on the wrong device file, loss of data may result. CAUTION Care should be taken when doing a reset when the cluster is active as there is a remote possibility that the cluster will partition right when this command is run and both nodes could end up thinking they have successfully acquired the lock. To avoid this situation, make sure cmcld has logged a message in syslog on all running nodes saying the device is inaccessble, before performing a reset. Note that it is safe to run cmdisklock when the cluster is down. RETURN VALUE
cmdisklock returns the following values: 0 Successful completion. 1 The disk is inaccessible or is not recognized as a cluster lock. AUTHOR
cmdisklock was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
cmapplyconf(1m), cmviewcl(1m), vgcfgbackup(1m), vgcfgrestore(1m) Requires Optional Serviceguard Software cmdisklock(1m)