Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed - use back reference in 2nd command Post 303001588 by ctac_ on Monday 7th of August 2017 05:18:57 PM
Old 08-07-2017
Hi
With awk
Code:
awk 'BEGIN{FS="[><]";RS="<Country code="}/^$/{next};{gsub("\"","",$1);print "Country - "$1"\n"$1" "$4"\n"$1" "$8 }' inputfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command for using with back slashes

hi all, im trying to use a sed command to remove all occurenes of \p\g what i used so far is : sed 's!\p\g!!g' file but this doesnt work ? Any ideas, thanks for helping. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seaten
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

back reference error

Hi, i am getting this error........ find ./ | sed '/\(*\) \(*\)/\2\1/' Unrecognized command: /\(*\) \(*\)/\2\1/ Any idea??? regards Apoorva Kumar (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: apoorvasharma80
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to change 2nd field

Hi I am a beginner to sed command, here I have a question about using sed to add a few characters into a token of a string. For example, I have a file, sqw:qqq:123124:uiqe dfd:ccc:12390:dfjis cde:aaa:21311:dfjsid and, I want the output to be, sqw:qqq:123124:uiqe... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Julius
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to reference a variable within sed?

Hi all, How can I use sed to perform a substitution if the string that I'm going to substitute is stored in a variable: Let's say: sed 's/abcdefg/good' VS tmp="abcdefg" sed 's/$tmp/good' The second case doesn't work. Guess it's due to the single quotes on the outside. How can I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rockysfr
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Getting back reference from s modifier

My input text has the following pattens: func_a(3, 4, 5); I want to replace it with this: func_b(3, 4, 5, 6); I'm trying the following expression, but it does not work: perl -p -e "s/func_a\((.*)?\);/func_b(\1,\n6)/s" <... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooldude
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting Problem - Invalid Back Reference

Here is the question... Create a new script, sub2, taking three parameters... 1.) the string to be replaced 2.) the string with which to replace it 3.) the name of the file in which to make the substitution ...that treats the string to be replaced as plain text instead of as a regular... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnhisenburg
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed error: invalid reference

Hello all, I am using sed to parse a particular part of a string and am having problems. I am getting the following error: sed: -e expression #1, char 28: invalid reference \1 on `s' command's RHS Here is the code I am using: echo "Alarm SET:" echo "" echo "Date: " $DATE echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlundwall
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Invalid back reference

The thread can be closed now :D. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaz0r
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed back reference error

I am trying to change a single line of a special file whose comment character is ! to show a path to the file in the comment. such as: !!HFSS and mcm path: \Signal_Integrity\Package_SI\Section_Models\C4toTrace\28nm\D6HS\SLC_5-2-5\GZ41_ICZ\NSSS\ to a different path and replace the !!HFSS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mobrien601
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract text in sed using back reference

i have a text 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 i want to get 22 using sed back reference. I have used sed 's/{6}\(..\).*/\1/' but, it does not work. I am missing something somewhere. Please help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
5 Replies
English(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      English(3pm)

NAME
English - use nice English (or awk) names for ugly punctuation variables SYNOPSIS
use English; use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; # Avoids regex performance penalty # in perl 5.16 and earlier ... if ($ERRNO =~ /denied/) { ... } DESCRIPTION
This module provides aliases for the built-in variables whose names no one seems to like to read. Variables with side-effects which get triggered just by accessing them (like $0) will still be affected. For those variables that have an awk version, both long and short English alternatives are provided. For example, the $/ variable can be referred to either $RS or $INPUT_RECORD_SEPARATOR if you are using the English module. See perlvar for a complete list of these. PERFORMANCE
NOTE: This was fixed in perl 5.20. Mentioning these three variables no longer makes a speed difference. This section still applies if your code is to run on perl 5.18 or earlier. This module can provoke sizeable inefficiencies for regular expressions, due to unfortunate implementation details. If performance matters in your application and you don't need $PREMATCH, $MATCH, or $POSTMATCH, try doing use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; . It is especially important to do this in modules to avoid penalizing all applications which use them. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 English(3pm)