Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Text processing
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Text processing Post 303001227 by getmilo on Sunday 30th of July 2017 07:52:49 PM
Old 07-30-2017
first column is search pattern
|6| in both lines is total number of fields

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Processing a text file

A file contains one name per line, such as: john doe jack bruce nancy smith sam riley When I 'cat' the file, the white space is treated as a new line. For example list=`(cat /path/to/file.txt)` for items in $list do echo $items done I get: john doe (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TheCrunge
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

text file processing

Hello! There is a text file, that contains hierarchy of menues, like: Aaaaa->Bbbbb Aaaaa->Cccc Aaaaa-> {spaces} Ddddd (it means that the full path is Aaaaa->Cccc->Ddddd ) Aaaaa-> {more spaces} Eeeee (it means that the full path is Aaaaa->Cccc->Ddddd->Eeeee ) Fffffff->Ggggg... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alias47
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

seeking help in text processing

Hi, I am a newbie in shell scripting. I want to get an expert help in solving a text processing issue. The issue I am facing is that, in the below log file contents I need to extract each block of lines (it could be a single line also) based on some regular expression and store it in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alecs
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk text processing

Hi Very much appreciate if somebody could give me a clue .. I undestand that it could be done with awk but have a limited experience. I have the following text in the file 1 909 YES NO 2 500 No NO . ... 1 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text processing doubt

How to print nth column of a pattern/file without using awk,cut commands? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajkumarin
1 Replies

6. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text processing using awk

I dispose of two tab-delimited files (the first column is the primary key): File 1 (there are multiple rows sharing the same key, I cannot merge them) A 28,29,30,31 A 17,18,19 B 11,13,14,15 B 8,9File 2 (there is one only row beginning with a given key) A 2,8,18,30,31 B ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dovah
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with text processing

I have an Input file which has a series of lines(which could vary) followed by two blank lines and then another series of lines(Could be any number of lines) followed by two blank lines and then repeats. I need to use filters to convert the following input file(which is an example) to an output... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bikerboy
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk for text processing

Hi,my file is in this format ", \"symbol\": \"Rbm38\" } ]" I want to convert it to a more user readable format _id pubmed text symbol 67196 18667844 Overexpression of UBE2T in NIH3T3 cells significantly promoted colony formation in mouse cell cultures Ube2t 56190 21764855 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: biofreek
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text processing in UNIX

Greetings! I have a text file that I am trying to process to get the desired output but looks like I will need the community help. Input File: a|x|london|consumer|consumer1|country||D|consumer|consumer1|country||1 a|x|paris|consumer|consumer2|country||D|consumer1|consumer2|country||2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bikerboy
3 Replies
TOTAL(1)						      General Commands Manual							  TOTAL(1)

NAME
total - sum up columns SYNOPSIS
total [ -m ][ -sE | -p | -u | -l ][ -i{f|d}[N] ][ -o{f|d} ][ -tC ][ -N [ -r ]] [ file .. ] DESCRIPTION
Total sums up columns of real numbers from one or more files and prints out the result on its standard output. By default, total computes the straigt sum of each input column, but multiplication can be specified instead with the -p option. Likewise, the -u option means find the upper limit (maximum), and -l means find the lower limit (minimum). Sums of powers can be computed by giving an exponent with the -s option. (Note that there is no space between the -s and the exponent.) This exponent can be any real number, positive or negative. The absolute value of the input is always taken before the power is computed in order to avoid complex results. Thus, -s1 will produce a sum of absolute values. The default power (zero) is interpreted as a straight sum without taking absolute values. The -m option can be used to compute the mean rather than the total. For sums, the arithmetic mean is computed. For products, the geomet- ric mean is computed. (A logarithmic sum of absolute values is used to avoid overflow, and zero values are silently ignored.) If the input data is binary, the -id or -if option may be given for 64-bit double or 32-bit float values, respectively. Either option may be followed immediately by an optional count, which defaults to 1, indicating the number of double or float binary values to read per record on the input file. (There can be no space between the option and this count.) Similarly, the -od and -of options specify binary double or float output, respectively. These options do not need a count, as this will be determined by the number of input channels. A count can be given as the number of lines to read before computing a result. Normally, total reads each file to its end before producing its result, but this behavior may be overridden by inserting blank lines in the input. For each blank input line, total produces a result as if the end-of-file had been reached. If two blank lines immediately follow each other, total closes the file and proceeds to the next one (after reporting the result). The -N option (where N is a decimal integer) tells total to produce a result and reset the calculation after every N input lines. In addition, the -r option can be specified to override reinitialization and thus give a running total every N lines (or every blank line). If the end of file is reached, the current total is printed and the calculation is reset before the next file (with or without the -r option). The -tC option can be used to specify the input and output tab character. The default tab character is TAB. If no files are given, the standard input is read. EXAMPLE
To compute the RMS value of colon-separated columns in a file: total -t: -m -s2 input To produce a running product of values from a file: total -p -1 -r input BUGS
If the input files have varying numbers of columns, mean values will certainly be off. Total will ignore missing column entries if the tab separator is a non-white character, but cannot tell where a missing column should have been if the tab character is white. AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), neaten(1), rcalc(1), rlam(1), tabfunc(1) RADIANCE
2/3/95 TOTAL(1)