Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to change time format in Solaris-10? Post 303001165 by bakunin on Friday 28th of July 2017 06:04:35 AM
Old 07-28-2017
To add to what Robin already said: time is stored in UNIX systems not in a certain format, but a number: the so-called "UNIX time", which counts the seconds since Midnight Jan 1st, 1970. As the time of writing this number is: 1501232481.

Whatever output the date-command (and the system calls it implements) delivers, it is always this number, calculated into a date and then formatted somehow. Therefore a "UNIX-date-format" doesn't exist: the date information is always formatted on the fly to the respective specification (like, as Robin said, the option to the date-command).

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do you change the time format from 24_hour to 12_hour

Hello there!!! I need to change the time format on a Unix development box running Sun OS 5.7 from military time to 12_hour. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: young_too
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Time change next week - solaris 8 ?

Can anyone tell me does solaris 8 automatically update the time upon the daylight savings? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

change the empty function from the old format to the new format

I have about 300 files which has the function getDBBackend(). How to write a program to change the empty function from the old format to the new format? Old empty function format are either: function getDBBackend() { // Not available } // getDBBackend or: function... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: powah
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Epoch time format to normal date time format in the same file

I have a file named "suspected" with series of line like these : {'protocol': 17, 'service': 'BitTorrent KRPC', 'server': '219.78.120.166', 'client_port': 52044, 'client': '10.64.68.44', 'server_port': 8291, 'time': 1226506312L, 'serverhostname': ''} {'protocol': 17, 'service': 'BitTorrent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rk4k
3 Replies

5. Solaris

How to change Solaris cluster time?

Hi friends, In our cluster some time difference is there. User told me to change into IST time. How can i change the time in a cluster 3.0. please help me. thanks to all (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sijocg
1 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

how to change date and time format in menu bar

Can someone please tell me how to change the time and date format in the menu bar. I get to System Preferences -- Language and Text, format, customize, but I can't figure out what to do next. I want to change, say from Tue May 4 to 5 4 2010. How the heck do I do this? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Change date format in solaris 10

Hi We have upgraded our sun machine from solaris 9 to solaris 10. Before upgradation the date command output(Solaris 9) Wed Oct 13 09:45:21 IST 2010 But after upgradation the output for date is as below(solaris 10). Wednesday, October 13, 2010 9:46:14 AM IST Looks like I need to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csreenivas
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the date and time format in UNIX script.

Hi, I am extracting a date string from the source file like this : 06/05/2014 16:04:00 I want to change it to 05-JUN-14 04.05.00.000000000 PM I basically store the date in a variable. I got solutions to change date in dd-mmm-yyyy format using tr but I guess it works only with the "date"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Varshha
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 Sparc. How to change Vendor info of SAN disks reported in "format" command?

Greetings! After block level migration using an external appliance, the luns are getting reported as DGC-RAID5 and these luns are infact from the new storage. I have a query on changing the device Vendor info from DGC-RAID5 to HP3par in the format o/p only. AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: n_Bhaskar
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate Time diff in milli milliseconds(Time format : HH:MM:SS,NNN)

Hi All, I have one file which contains time for request and response. I want to calculate time difference in milliseconds for each line. This file can contain 10K lines. Sample file with 4 lines. for first line. Request Time: 15:23:45,255 Response Time: 15:23:45,258 Time diff... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raza Ali
6 Replies
DATE(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   DATE(1)

NAME
date -- display or set date and time SYNOPSIS
date [-ajnu] [-d date] [-r seconds] [+format] [[[[[[CC]yy]mm]dd]HH]MM[.SS]] DESCRIPTION
date displays the current date and time when invoked without arguments. Providing arguments will format the date and time in a user-defined way or set the date. Only the superuser may set the date. The options are as follows: -a Use adjtime(2) to change the local system time slowly, maintaining it as a monotonically increasing function. -a implies -n. -d date Parse the provided human-described date and time and display the result without actually changing the system clock. (See parsedate(3) for examples.) -j Parse the provided canonical representation of date and time (described below) and display the result without actually changing the system clock. -n The utility timed(8) is used to synchronize the clocks on groups of machines. By default, if timed is running, date will set the time on all of the machines in the local group. The -n option stops date from setting the time for other than the current machine. -r seconds Print out the date and time that is seconds from the Epoch. -u Display or set the date in UTC (universal) time. An operand with a leading plus (+) sign signals a user-defined format string which specifies the format in which to display the date and time. The format string may contain any of the conversion specifications described in the strftime(3) manual page, as well as any arbitrary text. A <newline> character is always output after the characters specified by the format string. The format string for the default display is: %a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y If an operand does not have a leading plus sign, it is interpreted as a value for setting the system's notion of the current date and time. The canonical representation for setting the date and time is: CC The first two digits of the year (the century). yy The second two digits of the year. If yy is specified, but CC is not, a value for yy between 69 and 99 results in a CC value of 19. Otherwise, a CC value of 20 is used. mm The month of the year, from 01 to 12. dd The day of the month, from 01 to 31. HH The hour of the day, from 00 to 23. MM The minute of the hour, from 00 to 59. SS The second of the minute, from 00 to 61. Everything but the minutes is optional. Time changes for Daylight Saving and Standard time and leap seconds and years are handled automatically. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables affect the execution of date: TZ The timezone to use when displaying dates. See environ(7) for more information. FILES
/etc/localtime Symlink pointing to system's default timezone information file in /usr/share/zoneinfo directory. /var/log/wtmp A record of date resets and time changes. /var/log/messages A record of the user setting the time. EXAMPLES
The command: date '+DATE: %m/%d/%y%nTIME: %H:%M:%S' will display: DATE: 11/21/87 TIME: 13:36:16 The command: date 8506131627 sets the date to ``June 13, 1985, 4:27 PM''. The command: date 1432 sets the time to 2:32 PM, without modifying the date. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 on success, 1 if unable to set the date, and 2 if able to set the local date, but unable to set it globally. Occasionally, when timed(8) synchronizes the time on many hosts, the setting of a new time value may require more than a few seconds. On these occasions, date prints: 'Network time being set'. The message 'Communication error with timed' occurs when the communication between date and timed fails. SEE ALSO
adjtime(2), gettimeofday(2), settimeofday(2), parsedate(3), strftime(3), utmp(5), timed(8) R. Gusella and S. Zatti, TSP: The Time Synchronization Protocol for UNIX 4.3BSD. STANDARDS
The date utility is expected to be compatible with IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). BSD
November 15, 2006 BSD