Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Inserting a non printable character in a file Post 303001142 by Soham on Thursday 27th of July 2017 11:26:21 AM
Old 07-27-2017
Inserting a non printable character in a file

For some testing I want to insert a non printable character in a file. How to do it? I inserted ctrl-v ctrl-k through vi. But I do not think it is a proper non printable character.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting a character in a data file

Can some one tell me how I can insert a "|" (pipe) at the 15th column throughout a file? examples: to insert at begining of line i use :g/^/s//\|/ to insert at ene of line i use :g/$/s//\|/ how can i insert at the 15th column position. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting character in every line

help me, is there any script i can use to insert a single character in every line of the whole file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dakid
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

inserting a character between string

i have a file contains like this: i want to create a script that will insert a comma "." after the 10th character so it would be look like this thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dakid
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete non printable characters from file

i have a file which contains non printable characters like enter,escape etc i want to delete them from the file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting newline in front of multi-character string

I'm working with a large file with multiple records, each record begins with ISA. The issue is, sometimes ISA is at the start of the line, sometimes it's in the middle of the line. So before I can csplit my main file into multiple records, I have to get each record header onto its own line. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: verge
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check whether there is a non printable character in the unix variables

cp $l_options $srcdirfile $destdirfile If i want to check whether there is a non printable character in the variables $l_options $srcdirfile $destdirfile how it can be done? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitpct
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] SED - Bash - Inserting multi Tab character in the command

Hello. I am using : sed -i -e '/§name_script§/a#'"${MY_TAB11}"'# \ #'"${MY_TAB1}"'The Standard way'"${MY_TAB7}"'# \ #'"${MY_TAB1}"'==============='"${MY_TAB7}"'# \ ' "$CUR_FILE" Is there a better way to define "MY_TAB7","MY_TAB11" in other way than : MY_TAB1=$'\t' MY_TAB2=${MY_TAB1}$'\t'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I make this file readable/printable?

When I do the file I get ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped I am almost 100% sure I was able to print a readable version of this file in the past but I cannot remember how. Is it possible to convert this file into something that can be read and or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fsanchez
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Inserting non printable character(s) in string variable

Hello. I have a string variable named L_TEMP to test a very simple filter. L_TEMP="50AwL.|KWp9jk" I want to insert a non printable character between K and W. I have try this : linux-g65k:~ # a='50AwL.|K' linux-g65k:~ # b='Wp9jk' linux-g65k:~ # L_TEMP="$a$'\x07'$b" linux-g65k:~ # echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting a header with special character

Hi, I am trying to insert header row with a special character delimiter with Unicode u0109 into a file with ‘echo’, header looks like below echo –e “header1\u0109header\u0109header3\u0109header4” It just inserting as it is in the quotes but not the special character, Please suggest if am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oom
2 Replies
dumpcs(1)							   User Commands							 dumpcs(1)

NAME
dumpcs - show codeset table for the current locale SYNOPSIS
dumpcs [-0123vw] DESCRIPTION
dumpcs shows a list of printable characters for the user's current locale, along with their hexadecimal code values. The display device is assumed to be capable of displaying characters for a given locale. With no option, dumpcs displays the entire list of printable characters for the current locale. With one or more numeric options specified, it shows EUC codeset(s) for the current locale according to the numbers specified, and in order of codeset number. Each non-printable character is represented by an asterisk "*" and enough ASCII space character(s) to fill that code- set's column width. OPTIONS
-0 Show ASCII (or EUC primary) codeset. -1 Show EUC codeset 1, if used for the current locale. -2 Show EUC codeset 2, if used for the current locale. -3 Show EUC codeset 3, if used for the current locale. -v "Verbose". Normally, ranges of non-printable characters are collapsed into a single line. This option produces one line for each non-printable character. -w Replace code values with corresponding wide character values (process codes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The environment variables LC_CTYPE and LANG control the character classification throughout dumpcs. On entry to dumpcs, these environment variables are checked in that order. This implies that a new setting for LANG does not override the setting of LC_CTYPE. When none of the values is valid, the character classification defaults to the POSIX.1 "C" locale. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------------------------------------+ |ATTRIBUTE TYPE ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
localedef(1), attributes(5) NOTES
dumpcs can only handle EUC locales. SunOS 5.11 20 Dec 1996 dumpcs(1)