Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Selecting specific variable in log file Post 303000500 by simpsa27 on Thursday 13th of July 2017 09:19:19 AM
Old 07-13-2017
Last entry in log file

Hi there

I am trying to look for a specific word in the log file and I am aware this can be done by grep for example.

As there will be multiple entries for this I want to grep the last one to enter the log... how would I go about this - would I have to use tail?

Thanks in advance

Alex

Last edited by simpsa27; 07-17-2017 at 05:49 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent: selecting unique specific content of a file using shell script

Hi, I have a file whose content and format at places is as given below. print coloumn .... coloumn .... coloumn .... skip 1 line print coloumn ... skip 1 line I need to select the following : print coloumn .... coloumn .... coloumn... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with selecting specific lines in a large file

Hello, I need to select the 3 lines above as well as below a search string, including the search string. I have been trying various combinations using sed command without any success. Can anuone help please. Thanking (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tansha
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command for selecting specific lines from a script

I need help on following script: I need to print the lines which are in bold letters in separate file as record string("|") emp_name; string("|") emp_id; decimal("|") emp_salary; string("|") emp_status; string("\n") emp_proj; end (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gardasgangadhar
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting rows with a specific criteria

Hi, I want a UNIX command that can filter out rows with certain criteria. The file is tab deliminated. Row one is just a value. Basically what I want to do is select based on the name and character at the end (o). So lets lets say i want a row that has WashU and (o) then it would print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selecting specific line using awk

Hi, I would like to get the specific line from the file taking specific coloumn as reference. Thanks and Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kkarthik_kaja
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting specific 'id's from lines and columns using 'SED' or 'AWK'

Hello experts, I am new to this group and to 'SED' and 'AWK'. I have data (text file) with 5 columns (C_1-5) and 100s of lines (only 10 lines are shown below as an example). I have to find or select only the id numbers (C-1) of specific lines with '90' in the same line (of C_3) AND with '20' in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamskamu
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

selecting specific fields in a file (maybe with sed?)

Hi, I have a file with following lines: chr1 10 AC=2;AF=1.00;AN=2;DP=2;Dels=0.00;HRun=0;HaplotypeScore=0.00;MQ=23.00;MQ0=0;QD=14.33;SB=-10.01 chrX 18 AB=0.52;AC=1;AF=0.50;AN=2;DP=203;DS;Dels=0.00;HRun=0;HaplotypeScore=20.01;MQ=15.63;MQ0=85;QD=12.80;SB=-1289.58 I need to extract 4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: menenuh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting Specific Columns and Insert the delimiter TAB

Hi, I am writing a Perl Script for the below : I have a data file that consists of the header information which is 231 Lines and the footer information as 4 lines. The total number of line including the header and footer 1.2 Million with Pipe Delimited file. For example: Header Information:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

selecting and deleting specific lines with condition

I have a set of data as below: The first field, $1 represent "|". The $3 (3rd field) and $6 (6th field) in my data file represent "number-molecule" which has arrangement as below: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjramana
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting latest entry in the log file

Hi there I am trying to write a script where I will need to look for a specific word in the log file and I am aware this can be done by grep for example. As there will be multiple entries for this I want to grep the last one to enter the log... how would I go about this - would I have to use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpsa27
5 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)