Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Performance assessment of using single or combined pattern matching Post 303000318 by RudiC on Monday 10th of July 2017 03:29:07 AM
Old 07-10-2017
Why don't you give it a go yourself and post it here so we can discuss your approach?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment/delete a particular pattern starting from second line of the matching pattern

Hi, I have file 1.txt with following entries as shown: 0152364|134444|10.20.30.40|015236433 0233654|122555|10.20.30.50|023365433 ** ** ** In file 2.txt I have the following entries as shown: 0152364|134444|10.20.30.40|015236433 0233654|122555|10.20.30.50|023365433... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imas
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the lines matching a pattern, in between two pattern, and generate a tab

Hi all, I'm looking for some help. I have a file (very long) that is organized like below: >Cluster 0 0 283nt, >01_FRYJ6ZM12HMXZS... at +/99% 1 279nt, >01_FRYJ6ZM12HN12A... at +/99% 2 281nt, >01_FRYJ6ZM12HM4TS... at +/99% 3 283nt, >01_FRYJ6ZM12HM946... at +/99% 4 279nt,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: d.chauliac
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - Pattern Matching & Replacing - Performance

Experts, I am a beginner to Unix Shell Scripting We have source as a flat file which contains CTRL+F character as the delimiter. We need to count the number of records in the file (CTRL+F) to perform file validation Following command being used: awk '{cnt+=gsub(//,"&")}END {print cnt}'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivijay81
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split single file into multiple files using pattern matching

I have one single shown below and I need to break each ST|850 & SE to separate file using unix script. Below example should create 3 files. We can use ST & SE to filter as these field names will remain same. Please advice with the unix code. ST|850 BEG|PO|1234 LIN|1|23 SE|4 ST|850... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasadm
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating single pattern for matching multiple files.

Hi friends, I have a some files in a directory. for example 856-abc 856-def 851-abc 945-def 956-abc 852-abc i want to display only those files whose name starts with 856* 945* and 851* using a single pattern. i.e 856-abc 856-def 851-abc 945-def the rest of the two files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting combined differences based on a single column

Dear All, I have two sets of files. File 1 can be any number between 1 and 20 followed by a frequency of that number in a give documents... the lines in the file will be dependent to the analysed document. e.g. file1 1,5 4,1 then I have file two which is basicall same numbers but with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: printing lines AFTER pattern matching EXCLUDING the line containing the pattern

'Hi I'm using the following code to extract the lines(and redirect them to a txt file) after the pattern match. But the output is inclusive of the line with pattern match. Which option is to be used to exclude the line containing the pattern? sed -n '/Conn.*User/,$p' > consumers.txt (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: essem
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - filter blocks between single delimiters matching a pattern

Hi! I have a file with the following format:CDR ... MSISDN=111 ... CDR ... MSISDN=xxx ... CDR ... MSISDN=xxx ... CDR ... MSISDN=111 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Flavius
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep -v lines starting with pattern 1 and not matching pattern 2

Hi all! Thanks for taking the time to view this! I want to grep out all lines of a file that starts with pattern 1 but also does not match with the second pattern. Example: Drink a soda Eat a banana Eat multiple bananas Drink an apple juice Eat an apple Eat multiple apples I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Group Multiple Lines on SINGLE line matching pattern

Hi Guys, I am trying to format my csv file. When I spool the file using sqlplus the single row output is wrapped on three lines. Somehow I managed to format that file and finally i am trying to make the multiple line on single line. The below command is working fine but I need to pass the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJSKR28
3 Replies
rsnapshot-diff(1)														 rsnapshot-diff(1)

NAME
rsnapshot-diff - a utility for comparing the disk usage of two snapshots taken by rsnapshot SYNOPSIS
rsnapshot-diff [-h|vVi] dir1 dir2 DESCRIPTION
rsnapshot-diff is a companion utility for rsnapshot, which traverses two parallel directory structures and calculates the difference between them. By default it is silent apart from displaying summary information at the end, but it can be made more verbose. In the summary, "added" files may very well include files which at first glance also appear at the same place in the older directory structure. However, because the files differ in some respect, they are different files. They have a different inode number. Consequently if you use -v most of its output may appear to be pairs of files with the same name being removed and added. OPTIONS
-h (help) Displays help information -v (verbose) Be verbose. This will spit out a list of all changes as they are encountered, as well as the summary at the end. -V (more verbose) Be more verbose - as well as listed changes, unchanged files will be listed too. -i (ignore) If verbosity is turned on, -i suppresses information about symlinks, directories, and special files. dir1 and dir2 These are the only compulsory parameters, and should be the names of two directories to compare. Their order doesn't matter, rsnapshot-diff will always compare the younger to the older, so files that appear only in the older will be reported as having been removed, and files that appear only in the younger will be reported as having been added. SEE ALSO
rsnapshot BUGS
Please report bugs (and other comments) to the rsnapshot-discuss mailing list: http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/rsnapshot-discuss <http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/rsnapshot-discuss> AUTHOR
David Cantrell <david@cantrell.org.uk> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2005 David Cantrell LICENCE
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA 2011-07-09 rsnapshot-diff(1)