Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help with array substitution Post 303000258 by RudiC on Friday 7th of July 2017 01:09:14 PM
Old 07-07-2017
The #! in exactly the first two character positions of a script tell the command interpreter which program to run to read and execute the script. All the other lines are pure comments and thus ignored. Nothing to do with libraries.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array help (variable substitution).

I am using an array (clmlist01). I have 61 of these and have 4 or more references to each one in a block of code that I do not want to have to hardcode. With that being said, I am creating a varible and going through a for loop to create the actually name of each array. The arrays would end up... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsimpg1
3 Replies

2. Programming

Creating an array to hold posix thread ids: Only dynamic array works

I am facing a strange error while creating posix threads: Given below are two snippets of code, the first one works whereas the second one gives a garbage value in the output. Snippet 1 This works: -------------- int *threadids; threadids = (int *) malloc (num_threads * sizeof(int)); ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmehta
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky array substitution in functions

Hello, Please tell me if there is a better way to get the number of elements from an array that is passed to a function. This is what works on Solaris 8 (ksh) but it looks odd: loop_array() { array_name=$2 b1='\${\#' b2='}' nr_elements=`eval echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: majormark
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between "Command substitution" and "Process substitution"

Hi, What is the actual difference between these two? Why the following code works for process substitution and fails for command substitution? while IFS= read -r line; do echo $line; done < <(cat file)executes successfully and display the contents of the file But, while IFS='\n' read -r... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array reference - bad substitution

I've created a series of arrays named as follows: row1 row2 row3 . . . row10 Each has 4 elements. I'm trying to echo the array elements out in a for loop. Here's what I have: for ((i=1;i<=10;i++)) do for ((j=1;j<=4;j++)) do eval out=${row`echo $i`} echo -n $out (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swankgd
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution in a file dont work with an Array in filename

Hi. I´ve a script that should substitude the 8th line in a file called xxx.num6. The "xxx" is set by an array filled with this command: j=0 for Par in *.sys ; do Par=`echo $Par | sed 's/\(.*\).sys/\1/'` ; Par2="$Par" ; echo "${Par2}" j=$((j + 1)); done Now i try... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lock3
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Read an array and write to another array with intial string pattern checks

I have an array and two variables as below, I need to check if $datevar is present in $filename. If so, i need to replace $filename with the values in the array. I need the output inside an ARRAY How can this be done. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash 3.2 - Array / Regex - IF 3rd member in array ends in 5 digits then do somthing...

Trying to do some control flow parsing based on the index postion of an array member. Here is the pseudo code I am trying to write in (preferably in pure bash) where possible. I am thinking regex with do the trick, but need a little help. pesudo code if == ENDSINFIVEINTS ]]; then do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable substitution in array printing

Hi folks, A really dumb question as I've wasted far too long trying to get this to work.... (on RH bash) I have an array: m0='<hello>' m0='<there>' m0='<fred>' v0='<goodbye>' v0='<again>' v0='<john>' in my code I calculate the value of the variable to output and if I echo it, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: say170
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash arrays: rebin/interpolate smaller array to large array

hello, i need a bit of help on how to do this effectively in bash without a lot of extra looping or massive switch/case i have a long array of M elements and a short array of N elements, so M > N always. M is not a multiple of N. for case 1, I want to stretch N to fit M arrayHuge H = (... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
2 Replies
opx25(1M)																 opx25(1M)

NAME
opx25 - execute HALGOL programs SYNOPSIS
scriptname] char] file-descriptor] file-descriptor] string] DESCRIPTION
The commands, including are targeted for removal from HP-UX; see the below. HALGOL is a simple language for communicating with devices such as modems and X.25 PADs. It has simple statements similar to and that are described below. Options recognizes the following options: Causes to read script as the input program. If is not specified, reads the standard input as a script. Causes to use char as the first character in the input stream instead of actually reading it from the input descriptor. This is useful sometimes when the program that calls is forced to read a character but then cannot ``unread'' it. Causes to use number for the output file descriptor (i.e., the device to use for The default is 1. Causes to use 'number' for the input file descriptor (ie, the device to use for 'expect'). The default is 0. Causes to save this string for use when is encountered in a command. Causes to turn on debugging mode. Causes to turn on verbose mode. An script file contains lines of the following types: (empty) Empty lines are ignored. Lines beginning with a slash are ignored (comments) ID ID denotes a label, and is limited to alphanumerics or string must be surrounded by double quotes. The text is sent to the device specified by the option. Non-printable charac- ters are represented as in C; i.e., as DDD, where DDD is the octal ascii character code. in a send string is the string that followed the option. Send a break "character" to the device. Here number is how many seconds to wait before giving up. 0 means wait forever, but this is not advised. Whenever string appears in the input within the time allotted, the command succeeds. Thus, it is not necessary to specify the entire string. For example, if you know that the PAD will send several lines followed by an prompt, you could just use as the string. The program etc.) is run with the args specified. Do not use quotes here. Also, the program is invoked directly (using so wild cards, redirection, etc. are not possible. If the most recent expect or run encountered an error, go to the label ID. Similar to but does not fork. Similar to but goes to standard error instead of to the device. Sets the program in debug mode. It echoes each line to as well as giving the result of each expect and run. This can be useful for writing new scripts. The command disables this feature. Sends subsequent incoming characters to This can be used in the file as a security measure, because part of the incoming data stream contains the number of the caller. There is a similar feature in it writes the time and the login name into the same logfile. The command disables this feature. Similar to but better in some cases because it sends only digits to the log file, and not other characters. The command dis- ables this feature. Sets a global timeout value. Each expect uses time in the timeout reservoir; when this time is gone, the program gives up (exit 1). If this com- mand is not used, there is no global timeout. Also, the global timeout can be reset any time, and a value of 0 turns it off. Exits with this value. 0 is success; anything else is failure. To perform a rudimentary test of configuration files, run by hand, using the option followed by the name of the script file. then sends to standard output and expects from standard input; thus you can type the input, observe the output, and use the command to see messages. See the file for a good example of HALGOL programming. WARNINGS
Use of commands, including is discouraged because they are targeted for removal from HP-UX. Use ftp(1) or rcp(1) instead. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
getx25(1), uucp(1). TO BE OBSOLETED opx25(1M)