Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find with rm command gives strange results Post 303000227 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 6th of July 2017 02:52:53 PM
Old 07-06-2017
Quote:
The rm utility attempts to remove the non-directory type files specified on the command line
man rm
This is the default behaviour of rm..

You can add -type f to the find command so that it only finds files..

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 07-06-2017 at 03:59 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Strange ls results..

Multipart question.. Can anybody explain why this happens : -rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1531061 Feb 13 21:45 filename1.log -rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1760706 Feb 10 22:10 filename2.log -rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1525805 Aug 16 2005 filename3.log -rw-rw-r-- 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbridle
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending find command results to email

This is probably simple so forgive me... I just want to find all files in a folder created within the last 10 minutes... This is easy: # find /home/folder -cmin -10 If the find command locates any files created in the last ten minutes I want it to send an email alert. I just want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gardellap
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

edit results of a find command

Hi Purpose is to have a utility command to find and edit files . I tried a function like the following in my .profile file function vifind(){ find . -name $1 -print -exec vi {} \; } Is this correct? is there a better way to do it? I see this behaving a bit strange in case of AIX, and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: grep_whoami
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Results

I am using th following to get the percentage and have never used bc before: percent=$(echo "scale=4;(34117/384000)*100" | bc) 8.884600 percent=$(echo "scale=2;(34117/384000)*100" | bc) 8.00 Why do I get the results of 8.00 instead of 8.88 when using a scale of 2. I only want 2 decimal... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariaa33
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Place 'find' results within TeX command

Hi, In an effort to collect all my .java-files and place them in a LaTeXfile (using the listings environment of latex), i tried to use ex. So what i have now is: find . -name "*\.java" > latex ex latex <<HERE %s/\(.*\)/\\lstinputlisting{\1} wq HERE So i try to escape the '\' with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HannesBBR
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command gave unexpected results

Hi, I recently executed a find command that caused unexpected permission changes and we had to do a full system restore. Can someone please explain what this command would do? find /staging/admin/scr * -exec chmod 755 '{}' + It caused file permissions inside / to be modified strangely. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: poornima
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script find command not printing any results

Hello, Hitting a wall on this one. When at the command prompt it works fine: # find /home/testuser -name 'PAINT*canvasON.txt' /home/testuser/PAINT_canvasON.txt # pwd /home/testuser # ls -l PAINT*canvasON.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 root user 23 Feb 07 02:58 PAINT_canvasON.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange result using find command.

I created a file with the permissions of 776. When I ran the command find /root/Desktop -perm -644 -type f The created file shows up as part of the results. Doesn't -perm -mode mean that for global, only 4(read) and 2(write) can be accepted ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behavior of find and rm command

Hi I run the below command to find and delete *.xml files 90 or more days old. find . -type f -name '*.xml' -mtime +90 -exec rm {} \; find: stat() error ./Hello/2014_EMPTY.xml: No such file or directory ./Hello/2014_EMPTY_8011.xml: No such file or directory ..... .... If the file... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Strange sort -r results

Hi Folks - I have this file that looks like this: outbox/logs/Client_1042.log outbox/logs/Client_941.log outbox/logs/Client_942.log outbox/logs/Client_943.log outbox/logs/Client_944.log And this is my code: #!/bin/bash _OUTBOX_BIN="outbox/logs/" _NAME="Client" _TEMP="temp.txt"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
9 Replies
uucleanup(1M)															     uucleanup(1M)

NAME
uucleanup - uucp spool directory clean-up SYNOPSIS
time] time] time] time] string] time] system] debug_level] DESCRIPTION
The commands, including are targeted for removal from HP-UX; see the below. scans the spool directories for old files and takes appropriate action to remove them. Depending on the options selected, performs the following: o Informs the requestor of send and/or receive requests for systems that cannot be reached. o Returns mail that cannot be delivered to the sender. o Removes all other files. In addition, warns users of requestors who have been waiting for a given number of days (the default is 1 day). Note that unless time is specifically set, the default time values for the following options are used. Options recognizes the following options: Any files greater or equal to time days old are removed with appropriate information to the requestor. The default time is 7 days. Any files greater or equal to time days old are removed. An attempt is made to deliver mail messages and execute news when appropriate. The default time is 7 days. Any files equal to time cause a message to be mailed to the requestor warning about the delay in contacting the remote. The message includes the JOBID, and in the case of mail, the mail message. The administrator can include a message line telling who to call to correct the problem (see the option). The default time is 1 day. Any files greater than or equal to time days old are removed. The files are probably not present (if they were, the could be executed). But, if files are present, they are taken care of by processing. The default time is 2 days. This string is included in the warning message generated by the option. The default string is Other files whose age is more than time days are deleted. The default time is 2 days. Clean-up the spool directory for system only. The default is to clean-up all spool directories. The debug level is a single digit between 0 and 9. The higher the numbers, the more detailed the debugging information returned. This program is typically started by the script which should be started by (see cron(1M)). WARNINGS
Use of commands, including is discouraged because they are targeted for removal from HP-UX. Use ftp(1) or rcp(1) instead. FILES
spool directory SEE ALSO
cron(1M), uucp(1), uux(1), uuclean(1M). Tim O'Reilly and Grace Todino, O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. USA. Grace Todino and Dale Dougherty, O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. USA. TO BE OBSOLETED uucleanup(1M)